PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts back in Music App?

mdewberry
Oct 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi all,

As an iOS6 user, I was very disappointed that Apple removed the Podcast functionality from the Music app. The dedicated Podcast app worked terribly and I ended up using a 3rd party app instead.

Well, this morning I launched my Music app on my iPhone to listen to a song, and there is my Podcast button in the bottom left menu region!! When I select it my old list of Podcasts are in there! Not sure how this happened as I have not taken an update or done a recent sync to my Macbook Pro, but somehow the Podcast functionality has been added back to my Music app. So glad to see Podcasts back with the rest of my iTunes library!!

peeaanuut
Oct 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
was this an iPod only thing? I never had to switch to the podcast app. My podcasts synced and played through the music app on my iPhone4 and 4s both in 5 and 6.

Now I never downloaded a podcast through the phone so that may have made a difference but I never had to get the app.

mdewberry
Oct 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
Update: I was reading the review section of the Podcast app on iTunes, and someone commented today that if you delete the Apple Podcast app from your iPhone (which I recently did), the Podcast feature comes back to the Music App!

With this logic that would explain why you never had Podcasts removed from the Music app, as you never downloaded the (terrible) Apple Podcast app.

Good stuff!!!

madsci954
Oct 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah, this is what I do on my iPhone. If you sync your iOS device with iTunes, you can sync your podcasts with the Music app like you used to be able to do.

Downside here is you can't download or subscribe to new episodes or different podcasts from your device, it will tell you to download the Podcast app. You'll have to manage your podcasts from iTunes on your Mac or PC.

mdewberry
Oct 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ah.. good to know. In that case I may continue to use Downcast, as it has been a great app and lets me manage podcasts directly from my iPhone without the sync.. thanks!

peeaanuut
Oct 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
ok, that makes sense. I rarely pull content through my phone from apple OTA, its almost always done via a sync at home. Maybe the few occasional songs, but never did a podcast.

declandio
Oct 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
That's very odd. I also miss 'the old way'.

When I upgraded an iphone4 to ios6, podcasts were no longer accessible via the music app. Same thing now on an iphone5. I always thought it was strange that they'd make you switch between apps like that; not a very integrated experience.

I'd love to know why you guys are able to still play podcasts in the music app!

madsci954
Oct 18, 2012, 03:16 PM
That's very odd. I also miss 'the old way'.

When I upgraded an iphone4 to ios6, podcasts were no longer accessible via the music app. Same thing now on an iphone5. I always thought it was strange that they'd make you switch between apps like that; not a very integrated experience.

I'd love to know why you guys are able to still play podcasts in the music app!

My iPhone 4S is on iOS 6, as I said, if you sync your podcasts with iTunes, they will show up. If you don't sync any podcasts, or if you have it set up so it delete episodes once you play them, the Podcasts icon won't show up in Music.

boredandlonely
May 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Podcasts button vanished from iPhone music app. I only sync via USB because I don't like being data-raped by my cell carrier, and my home network blows. iTunes SHOWS that the podcasts are set to sync, but they just don't anymore. I toggled the iTunes checkboxes for podcasts on and off a few times, synced, and I WATCHED THEM TRANSFER ONTO THE IPHONE. However, the music app won't show the "podcasts" button anywhere. I restarted the app multiple times, and restarted the iphone multiple times. It still won't show up. I can hit "more" and "edit" within the app, STILL no button.

Bypass:
Using the iOS search, I CAN FIND the podcast tracks, and if selected, they play IN the music app, but they still are NOT accessible FROM the music app, only in search. If I up-menu in the app from the playing track, the current podcast is only under "now playing" and cannot be found otherwise within the app.

I THINK this started when I was syncing a few weeks ago, and I got a "there isn't enough room on this iphone, do you want to turn off podcasts?" message and I said "NO". I removed some playlists instead, and synced successfully (or so I thought).

I am on 6.1.0, iPhone 4 GSM, and have not updated anything relevant in months. I have never used the dedicated podcast app.

Help?:confused:

Albright
Jul 25, 2013, 04:06 AM
boredandlonely, mdewberry mentioned the work-around above; if you delete the well-intentioned but horribly misguided Podcasts app from your phone (hold your finger on the icon for a couple seconds and tap the X icon when it starts wiggling), podcasts will reappear under the Music app, in the list that appears when you tap the "More" button on the bottom. I haven't played much with it yet, but so far it seems to work just like it used to - no more listing podcasts which don't have new episodes, and no more listing episodes I don't actually have downloaded on the device.

Mad props, mdewberry. I didn't know this was possible until today.