sunfast
Dec 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
Just showed up - 35.4MB on my MacBook

Mac-Addict
Dec 17, 2007, 03:28 PM
Same here (MBP 2.33GHZ)

abijnk
Dec 17, 2007, 03:29 PM
Hm, installing, what treasures might this hold??? I just want my keyboard to work right :mad:

mrkramer
Dec 17, 2007, 03:30 PM
It seems to be for Leopard only, or at least it is only showing up on my leopard machine for some reason.

MacRumors
Dec 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has issued security updates for Mac OS X 10.5.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate20070091051.html), 10.4.11 (PPC) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate200700910411ppc.html), and 10.4.1 (Universal) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate200700910411universal.html) today. The individual packages affected are listed:

Mac OS X 10.5.1: Core Foundation, CUPS, Flash Player Plug-in, Launch Services, perl, python, Quick Look, ruby, Safari, Samba, Shockwave Plug-in, Spin Tracer

Mac OS X 10.4.11: Address Book, CUPS, ColorSync, Core Foundation, Desktop Services, Flash Player Plug-in, gnutar, iChat, IO Storage Family, Launch Services, Mail, perl, python, ruby, Samba, Safari, Shockwave Plug-in, SMB, Spotlight, tcpdump, XQuery

A detailed breakdown of the security fixes are not yet available on Apple's site. The updates are recommended for all users.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/17/security-update-2007-009-for-mac-os-x-10-4-11-and-10-5-1/)

MacsRgr8
Dec 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
Good to see Apple hard at it!

rdowns
Dec 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
Installed with no problems.

Safari is not Teh Snappier™

DeaconGraves
Dec 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
Now if they would just fix the MBP keyboard issue...

mwxiao
Dec 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has issued security updates for Mac OS X 10.5.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate20070091051.html), 10.4.11 (PPC) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate200700910411ppc.html), and 10.4.1 (Universal) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate200700910411universal.html) today. The individual packages affected are listed:

Mac OS X 10.5.1: Core Foundation, CUPS, Flash Player Plug-in, Launch Services, perl, python, Quick Look, ruby, Safari, Samba, Shockwave Plug-in, Spin Tracer

Mac OS X 10.4.11: Address Book, CUPS, ColorSync, Core Foundation, Desktop Services, Flash Player Plug-in, gnutar, iChat, IO Storage Family, Launch Services, Mail, perl, python, ruby, Samba, Safari, Shockwave Plug-in, SMB, Spotlight, tcpdump, XQuery

A detailed breakdown of the security fixes are not yet available on Apple's site. The updates are recommended for all users.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/17/security-update-2007-009-for-mac-os-x-10-4-11-and-10-5-1/)

Oh man, i hate to restart my computer.

~Shard~
Dec 17, 2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the head's up, downloading it now...

I'm so excited - my first security update on my brand new iMac with Leopard! Okay, so as well as being excited I am also a nerd... :p :D

psychofreak
Dec 17, 2007, 03:39 PM

And I love Leopard's 'Not Now' feature...

longofest
Dec 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
I really hope the Flash Player Plugin update makes Safari/Flash Player more stable. It crashes all the time for me currently.

Wayfarer
Dec 17, 2007, 03:44 PM

Meh, suck it up. You're not the only one. ;)

Safari is not Teh Snappier™
Thanks for that. My pants fell off... after I fell out of my chair rolling on the floor laughing.

superleccy
Dec 17, 2007, 03:47 PM
Logic Pro update too. 8.0.1. About time!

SL

blodwyn
Dec 17, 2007, 03:59 PM
Just installed on my MacBook Pro, and restarted with no issues

pyr0sphere
Dec 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
*sigh*

I hope this isn't like that Quicktime update that messed up a lot of people's computers.

Gonna wait it out and see what the general consensus is concerning this update

Voch
Dec 17, 2007, 04:04 PM
I installed it on my Rev. A MacBook running 10.5.1 and after the first reboot I had no WiFi ("Airport Card Not Installed" in the menubar's Airport menu). A second reboot and zapping the PRAM seems to have fixed it :)

DeaconGraves
Dec 17, 2007, 04:04 PM
Back from installing. No issues here.

ilogic
Dec 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
come on everyone more feedback! any goodies??? :)

saxman
Dec 17, 2007, 04:12 PM
Installed without issues and no problems for me on 10.5.1 running on a PB 12" 1.33.

I do like the way that Leopard handles updates now - much less chance something will go wrong since it shuts down applications.

Nothing feels snappier though

iJawn108
Dec 17, 2007, 04:20 PM
absolutely no issues on my macbook

e-coli
Dec 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
I really hope the Flash Player Plugin update makes Safari/Flash Player more stable. It crashes all the time for me currently.

omg. no kidding. it's unusable. i have to use firefox now.

Peace
Dec 17, 2007, 04:33 PM

Is that happening on your PPC or the C2D ?

termite
Dec 17, 2007, 04:34 PM
The new Flash plugin supports h.264

Fabio_gsilva
Dec 17, 2007, 04:34 PM
Man, I just hope my Airport signal become a litle more stable... it's awful by now. Besides that, happy to go with Leopard.

Mydel
Dec 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
Installed. So far so good. Didn't notice any troubles

JuicyGoo
Dec 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
Anyone know if this resolves the Repair Permissions "SUID file" problems?

I haven't been able to properly run Disk Utility since using Leopard.

runplaysleeprun
Dec 17, 2007, 04:40 PM
The updates are recommended for all users.
]

are they ever not recommended for all users? Just the important ones?

ricosuave
Dec 17, 2007, 04:46 PM

That's kind of redundant since mac users are the important ones! :cool:

veeco3110
Dec 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
ive been on the phone with apple for the past hour...ive tried updating to this and i keep getting an error upon installation. i get to the validating part of the loader bar then an error that says i cant update to secupd2007-009

haha im really stumping these guys

hey mods can we sensor the word snappier haha jk

tiiim
Dec 17, 2007, 04:50 PM

nope still broken... maybe 10.5.2?
However this might start the "do we need to run repair permissions" argument again.

.vin.
Dec 17, 2007, 04:55 PM
When I went to install it on my MBP running Leopard, it said it could not install the update, and that I should contact the manufacturer. I tried it twice, and I got the error message after clicking install, and after all the applications exited out. Same deal after restarting twice. Weird.

beestigbeestje
Dec 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm on a macbook pro 2.4 ghz runnig leopard 1.5.1 and since the software update, safari keeps on crashing!!!

Lot's of fun over here!

Squozen
Dec 17, 2007, 05:04 PM

Which part of 'security update' is giving people problems?

Security updates don't add features or fix usability issues, they fix critical flaws that allow exploits to own your system.

Plus, you don't need to repair permissions. ;)

AMSAMS
Dec 17, 2007, 05:06 PM
have been having problems all day with .mac account, and i searched new updates to see if they had sent through a patch. i also couldn't access the .mac Web page while having the problems, so something must have happened. (the site is up now and email is working, now that i've installed the security patch) unfortunatey, while it wasn't working, my blackberry server account essentially kicked me off because the .mac server wasn't responding, so now i have to reset my bberry account. major pain, especially since i can't remember my password!!!:mad::mad:
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

twoodcc
Dec 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
cool. i hope this fixed that quicktime bug

veeco3110
Dec 17, 2007, 05:12 PM
alright guys...i just gt off the phone. update installed but not restarted yet...

work around for it is to go to www.apple.com/support/downloads and download it straight from there.

also other things that i asked about was my wifi always dropping...their answer was that my 2.4 ghz portable phone is what will interfere with it. im gonna look into that one and see how that goes.

another i asked about is the keyboard issue everyone is having. it hppened to me once or twice but thats too many times in my book. they said the work around for that instead of restarting ur comp is to put the computer to sleep, fully asleep, then wake it up

hope that helps

xsnightclub
Dec 17, 2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the security update, I would hate to see what some malicious code might do to my Mac......

Maybe it might:
1) make my two iPhones: a) randomly restart, b) randomly freeze , c) not sync properly with iCal, d) have to be 'restored' three or four times before not getting a mobile sync error, e) randomly switch ringtones

2) make syncing the dock work incorrectly (like constantly losing safari of all things, seems they want you to use firefox), improperly import calendars into iCal, cause an addition error in Calculator (funny the calculator in dashboard works correctly), randomly shutdown safari, ridiculously slow down your system when Time Machine is backing up, make disk utility seemingly hang forever at 'less than 1 minute' when repairing permissions, not allow even the simplest task 'such as syncing notes', have Safari give you an error when loading www.apple.com that you are not connected to the internet even when network utility says you are.

3) .Mac - Where do I even start.

Sure is a good thing that Apple decided to issue these security updates, I would certainly hate for any of these things to happen to my mac.

Now excuse me, while I downgrade to 10.4 Tiger, so these things don't happen while I'm using Leopard.

gt1948
Dec 17, 2007, 05:18 PM
just did the update and the system is definetly faster. I think that is the case though after every security update for some reason.
Safari page pop up fast .....:):):)

Cable ISP on airport extreme
G5, IMAC G5, Powerbook G4

abrooks
Dec 17, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the security update, I would hate to see what some malicious code might do to my Mac......

Maybe it might:
1) make my two iPhones: a) randomly restart, b) randomly freeze , c) not sync properly with iCal, d) have to be 'restored' three or four times before not getting a mobile sync error, e) randomly switch ringtones

2) make syncing the dock work incorrectly (like constantly losing safari of all things, seems they want you to use firefox), improperly import calendars into iCal, cause an addition error in Calculator (funny the calculator in dashboard works correctly), randomly shutdown safari, ridiculously slow down your system when Time Machine is backing up, make disk utility seemingly hang forever at 'less than 1 minute' when repairing permissions, not allow even the simplest task 'such as syncing notes', have Safari give you an error when loading www.apple.com that you are not connected to the internet even when network utility says you are.

3) .Mac - Where do I even start.

Sure is a good thing that Apple decided to issue these security updates, I would certainly hate for any of these things to happen to my mac.

Now excuse me, while I downgrade to 10.4 Tiger, so these things don't happen while I'm using Leopard.

Blimey, that is a whole lot of issues! I think your problems are deeper than Leopard. I recommend starting again.

Eduardo1971
Dec 17, 2007, 05:26 PM
I have yet to download this as I am at work; but I did come across this article this morning. I do not believe it is being addressed with this newest security update.

I am not concerned about it as I'm the only user of my Macbook and I do not use .mac from a public computer.

http://www.macuser.com/security/a_severe_mac_security_flaw_sur.php

xsnightclub
Dec 17, 2007, 05:29 PM
Blimey, that is a whole lot of issues! I think your problems are deeper than Leopard. I recommend starting again.

iPhones have been buggy since day one.
.Mac has been mediocre at best since day one.

The calculator error has been around since 10.3

The disk utility, time machine, safari shutdown, network error, sync and iCal issues are purely Lepoard.

Maybe the 5 month delay wasn't quite long enough for Leopard.

(almost forgot the complete inability to sync notes)

Schnebar
Dec 17, 2007, 05:30 PM
I just got all excited that flash got updated and could now work in intel macs without running rosetta.

But then remembered that it is shockwave that doesn't work.

I have had my iMac for almost 2 years and shockwave still has not become universal.

Grrrrrr

xsnightclub
Dec 17, 2007, 05:32 PM
I just got all excited that flash got updated and could now work in intel macs without running rosetta.

But then remembered that it is shockwave that doesn't work.

I have had my iMac for almost 2 years and shockwave still has not become universal.

Grrrrrr

Flash got an update 2 weeks ago for both PPC and Intel from Adobe, with h.264 support.

James17
Dec 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
Working fine here, no issues.

FoxyKaye
Dec 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
Full list of security fixes here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307179

There's nothing about bugfixes, which I would expect to come in 10.5.2.

lazyrighteye
Dec 17, 2007, 05:36 PM
Keep 'em coming.

MrCrowbar
Dec 17, 2007, 05:36 PM

yay. I want high quality youtube on the Mac already. ;)

Goldmind31
Dec 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
Any one having problems sending emaila with Mail since the update (Both .mac and a pop account). Really weird since it seems to be getting mail fine just cant send.

raybo
Dec 17, 2007, 05:38 PM
alright guys...i just gt off the phone. update installed but not restarted yet...

work around for it is to go to www.apple.com/support/downloads and download it straight from there.

also other things that i asked about was my wifi always dropping...their answer was that my 2.4 ghz portable phone is what will interfere with it. im gonna look into that one and see how that goes.

another i asked about is the keyboard issue everyone is having. it hppened to me once or twice but thats too many times in my book. they said the work around for that instead of restarting ur comp is to put the computer to sleep, fully asleep, then wake it up

hope that helps

Just got Panasonic DECT 6.0 KX-TG1031 series phone with two phones. Phone is quieter and no wifi issues.

Ray

Chewieez
Dec 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
I was really hoping this would fix the Repair Permissions in Leopard. I too haven't been able to run it since i got my Macbook.

BUT, the other day I installed some software, and upon restart it alerted me that a file had incorrect permissions and asked if I wanted to fix it. I chose "yes" and it just did it, and said everything was great and finished booting up. Cool!

macinfojunkie
Dec 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
Safari is Much Snappier

could hardly get any slower!

xsnightclub
Dec 17, 2007, 05:45 PM
yay. I want high quality youtube on the Mac already. ;)

Adobe updated flash to support this on 12/3/2007

pyr0sphere
Dec 17, 2007, 05:45 PM
What exactly is it about reparing permissions?

I assume from its name it has somethign to do with user accounts?

There seems to be something funny going on with it. Couple of people in this topic have posted things making me think I missed out on something. Is there some thread about why repairing permissions is funny or why so many people want to do it?

I noticed theres an option to do so in Onyx just now, as well as in Disk Utility. Didn't bother to click it though, as I assumed it wouldn't work anyway

fandsw
Dec 17, 2007, 05:47 PM
Tried it, getting a light blue screen with the little circle of arcs going round and round :(

......no disc sounds for the last 5 minutes......hard reset time??

xsnightclub
Dec 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
Tried it, getting a light blue screen with the little circle of arcs going round and round :(

Are you beginning to get the feeling that nobody at Apple tried installing this?:rolleyes:
Maybe it should be Security Update 2007-009 Beta

gwangung
Dec 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
I was really hoping this would fix the Repair Permissions in Leopard. I too haven't been able to run it since i got my Macbook.

Can't run it, or giving you messages you don't understand?

lazyrighteye
Dec 17, 2007, 05:57 PM

Security updates don't add features or fix usability issues, they fix critical flaws that allow exploits to own your system.

What happens if you can't repair permissions.
In 10.5.1, when attempting to repair permissions, the scroll bar jump to about 25% and sits there. For hours.

Crap. I think that's off topic.
Never mind...

macinfojunkie
Dec 17, 2007, 05:58 PM
Are you beginning to get the feeling that nobody at Apple tried installing this?:rolleyes:
Maybe it should be Security Update 2007-009 Beta

Did I miss someting? I thought leopard was still in (public) beta?

zoetropeuk
Dec 17, 2007, 05:58 PM

FFS, why do people have an issue with restarting a Mac ? It's quite pathetic actually, just restart the damn thing, it takes 30 seconds and it done. And then, get a life.

Jetson
Dec 17, 2007, 05:59 PM
FFS, why do people have an issue with restarting a Mac ? It's quite pathetic actually, just restart the damn thing, it takes 30 seconds and it done. And then, get a life.

I know - it's kinda like "Safari is snappier" or something.

shinji
Dec 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
This update messed up my fonts in Opera. Does anyone else here (or in the world) use Opera? It made the font on tabs some weird small comic'y font.

:(

Jetson
Dec 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
I installed this security update and restarted my Mac. Everything seems to work OK so far.

I'm not touching that QuickTime update until I read some good reports. Right now it looks like the kiss of death.

I tried to run Repair Permissions both before and after installing the update. Repair Permissions just doesn't seem to work in Leopard. In Tiger, it ran very quickly, but in Leopard you can sit there for half an hour and the progress bar doesn't budge. I wish that Apple would repair Repair Permissions.

By the way, Repair Permissions is a script that analyses and updates the Unix file security attributes. In Unix, file access is determined by a combination of READ, WRITE and EXECUTE settings.

xsnightclub
Dec 17, 2007, 06:07 PM

I Think everyone gets that it is a security update...

The point some are making is a software update would be welcome to fix the myriad of bugs.

Maybe a little more time in the lab or as a beta, and there wouldn't as much need for updates

montycat
Dec 17, 2007, 06:07 PM
No problem here with update. Is there a way a can review all the updates that I downloaded like I was able to do in XP? MC

socamx
Dec 17, 2007, 06:08 PM

My G5 takes roll as a server for IRC (chat protocol), IRC bots, apache (web hosting) and a few other things, so restarting it for anything is a minor inconvenience. Gotta disconnect everyone and then start everything back up when it reboots. I also gotta pray that nothing gets broken in the process.

Plus it doesn't take 30 seconds, my Macbook Pro takes about a minute after updates and the same for my G5. Dunno what planet you are from where reboots take only 30 seconds on *all* hardware, new and old.

So why don't you chill out before attacking the guy?

So far so good on my Macbook Pro though, Safari isn't crashing on me. Yet anyway.

Peace
Dec 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
scheesch..

I installed the update and my wife left me right after my dog bit me.

Quit sure the market went down today because of it too!
:rolleyes:

iForum
Dec 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
I just updated both and they are now about twice as fast! In addition, I noticed that there is Native support for Windows executables and the ZFS file system seems really solid. Finally, my phone got smaller and it works always... even when I am in tunnels.

Actually, they both rebooted and everything seems as it was. No problems.

ParisParamus
Dec 17, 2007, 06:16 PM
?

fandsw
Dec 17, 2007, 06:22 PM

Had to do a hard reset, came up fine. Checked Software Update and it found nothing to install, so it mus have taken???? We'll see.....

izzle22
Dec 17, 2007, 06:22 PM
I just updated both and they are now about twice as fast! In addition, I noticed that there is Native support for Windows executables and the ZFS file system seems really solid. Finally, my phone got smaller and it works always... even when I am in tunnels.

Actually, they both rebooted and everything seems as it was. No problems.

When did Apple come out with Powerbook Pros? ;)

MrCrowbar
Dec 17, 2007, 06:29 PM
Logic Pro update too. 8.0.1. About time!

SL

Warning: Updating Logic kinda broke mine. Asked me for my serial number again but didn't take it (got a edu license). Restoring the Application from Time Machine worked as a charm. Thank you Time Machine, I didn't back up my Applications before, because I either can download them or just re-install from disc. Restoring from Time Machine took a minute, but worked.

Zman5225
Dec 17, 2007, 06:32 PM
I hit software update, but it just sits at the checking for software part, and it looks to be about 25% complete and it will not budge. Apple is losing all sorts of quality control. I so feel like a windoze user right now. Especially after installing leopard. What a treat that was.

EagerDragon
Dec 17, 2007, 06:39 PM
have been having problems all day with .mac account, and i searched new updates to see if they had sent through a patch. i also couldn't access the .mac Web page while having the problems, so something must have happened. (the site is up now and email is working, now that i've installed the security patch) unfortunatey, while it wasn't working, my blackberry server account essentially kicked me off because the .mac server wasn't responding, so now i have to reset my bberry account. major pain, especially since i can't remember my password!!!:mad::mad:
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

Me too with the .Mac issues, have not installed anything in the last couple of days so it is in their side.

Sorry, but glad I am not the only one.

Squozen
Dec 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
I Think everyone gets that it is a security update...

The point some are making is a software update would be welcome to fix the myriad of bugs.

Maybe a little more time in the lab or as a beta, and there wouldn't as much need for updates

Well... no, security is an ongoing process. Most security flaws are found upstream in the case of the BSD packages, or by independent security experts.

I completely agree about the beta process, though. Apple need to start running full public betas, as their current software quality is woeful.

ParisParamus
Dec 17, 2007, 06:48 PM
I just ran the complete software update package on my Tiger OSX, and the .mac e-mail problem ended.

FF_productions
Dec 17, 2007, 06:51 PM
All is well with my update.

synth3tik
Dec 17, 2007, 06:54 PM
I installed the logic update. But I had to downgrade from 10.5.1 to 10.5 a few weeks ago as running VMWare over my ethernet caused mDNSresourcer and syslogd to go into error loops taking up 98% of my total CPU. I am curious if the security update would fix this... As I the update is not for 10.5.0.

They like to show people that their computer has been up for months at a time. It's bragging rights for nerds.:)

macinfojunkie
Dec 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
They like to show people that their computer has been up for months at a time. It's bragging rights for nerds.:)

I thought it was just a way of demonstrating environmental concern!

DesignerOnMac
Dec 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
nope still broken... maybe 10.5.2?
However this might start the "do we need to run repair permissions" argument again.

If you go to Apples website and type in SUID, this is NOT, I repeat NOT a problem, it is part of the new security files for leopard!

Check it out my friends.

HLdan
Dec 17, 2007, 07:09 PM

Actually yes, when the iMacs were experiencing the freezing issue, not all iMacs were having this problem and when Apple posted the update to fix it not anyone not experiencing freezes needed the update.

wakerider017
Dec 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
If you go to Apples website and type in SUID, this is NOT, I repeat NOT a problem, it is part of the new security files for leopard!

Check it out my friends.

What about the ACL problem?

Apple has said nothing about that...

Mindflux
Dec 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
z0mg i had to restart my Mac!#(@(!*@*( Z UPTIME IS GONEEEZ)(@#(&@# NOES.

freaks.

yetanotherdave
Dec 17, 2007, 07:32 PM
This upped the version number on safari, so Saft broke.
Time machine to the rescue!
No other problems though.

NuMan
Dec 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
Just finished installing both updates (Security Update and Quicktime) and everything is fine.

I downloaded both update files from Apple and installed them. Everything is working fine.

I'm going to install the two updates (Quicktime +Security Update) on my remaining machines. I did not repair permissions. I stopped doing so after reading several good articles on the subject, that indicated it is not necessary to do so before and after installations of software.

As a precaution, I personally quit all other applications while the installation process is going on (when installing system related updates).

For those having troubles I suggest going to macfixit.com and look at the recommendations they have there. I've tried them before and have found that they worked well for me.

PowerMac G5 2.0, 3GB ram,
Leopard 10.5.1

bperboy
Dec 17, 2007, 07:44 PM

I've heard that zapping the pram will fix this... I didn't really notice the issue in the first place though.

Schnebar
Dec 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
Just did the update and now my iMac cannot sent out a Wifi signal to my iTouch.

When I turn the airport on it just says scanning.

I don't know if this is because of the update but if someone else who has a touch and uses their computer to broadcast the Wifi for it could try it would be interesting.

Thanks.

Mac 13
Dec 17, 2007, 07:55 PM
I just installed, I'm running Tiger, Safari is quitting a lot when trying to upload pics :mad: Anybody else having problems with Safari quitting on you?

balwx
Dec 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
Going to install this update tonight. Thanks folks for the heads-up.

le sacre
Dec 17, 2007, 07:58 PM

what was the keyboard issue?

i am hoping for an update that will either abolish stacks or turn it into something useful.

sammich
Dec 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
I just installed, I'm running Tiger, Safari is quitting a lot when trying to upload pics :mad: Anybody else having problems with Safari quitting on you?

I think i'm getting the same problem. I was trying to attach some pics in gmail but it wouldn't work. Gmail said it was a server problem, safari kept upload the same photos over and over again, but never 'attached'. Firefox to the rescue.

raucous
Dec 17, 2007, 08:05 PM
Apple gives me the error "cannot validate secupd2007-009" after reboot as it is attempting to install. :mad:

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

coolfactor
Dec 17, 2007, 08:08 PM

The disk utility, time machine, safari shutdown, network error, sync and iCal issues are purely Lepoard.

This troll post doesn't deserve a response, but oh well...

Hey Mr xsnightclub... do you have any idea just how complex the computer sitting in front of you is? It's amazing it works as well as it does. Where's your appreciation for that? Why all the negativity? And when you generalize stuff like "safari shutdown", "network error", it really doesn't do much for your credibility.

Anything as complex as one of today's computers is going to have issues and those issues may not be caused by buggy software. They could be caused by any number of external factors. Take .Mac as an example. I've had it for 3 years, and while it was problematic in the first year, I've been very happy with it for the past two years. It just keeps getting better. It's _possible_ that your Internet connection and proximity to .Mac servers could be contributing to your experience. Apple engineers can only do some much from their end... it's up to you to make sure the rest is in place and working properly.

/....breath..../

coolfactor
Dec 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think i'm getting the same problem. I was trying to attach some pics in gmail but it wouldn't work. Gmail said it was a server problem, safari kept upload the same photos over and over again, but never 'attached'. Firefox to the rescue.

I use the latest WebKit. It let's you use the latest and greatest rendering engine without waiting for Apple to release it as an official version.

www.webkit.org - download the nightly.

macinfojunkie
Dec 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
This troll post doesn't deserve a response, but oh well.. /....breath..../

What's a troll? Is it kinda like the opposite of a fanboy?
:p

kcmac
Dec 17, 2007, 08:17 PM
All good here.

I really like the dialog box at the beginning of the update that tells you your computer is not plugged in and as soon as you do it knows it and starts the process.

Stampyhead
Dec 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
hey mods can we sensor the word snappier haha jk

How about we censor it instead...

pistolero
Dec 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
it messed up my imac.

I installed it like an hour ago, and now all internet access is extremely slow.. web pages take 15-30 seconds to load. Something was horribly messed up by this update. Local network browsing works fine, but anything out of the local network takes forever.

I am writing this from Firefox running in Parallels. web pages load normally inside Parallels. go figure !

mistabaka
Dec 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
omg. no kidding. it's unusable. i have to use firefox now.

Yeah, Safari 3 would be the best browser in the world if it would go 10 minutes w/out crashing or beach balling from RSS!!!

Grrr Apple Fix Safari!

rychencop
Dec 17, 2007, 08:26 PM
seems to be working fine....my printer still does not work though..:mad:

Toe
Dec 17, 2007, 08:34 PM
seems to be working fine....my printer still does not work though..:mad:

"If your printer isn't compatible with Vista, I say (http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/), 'Buy a new printer!'"

Oh wait... this is a Mac board, right?
:cool:

madmax_2069
Dec 17, 2007, 08:36 PM
Everything is going well with the update, no issues seen so far

using 10.4.11, DA G4 533.

haven't updated Leopard yet.

Winglet
Dec 17, 2007, 08:36 PM
Anyone find problems with massive decrease in font size after upgrade? I use Roadrunner as my homepage and the Flashplayer component now has a font size that is almost unreadable to the naked eye. I have found no way to modify this font size on the site. Here is the link to the page in question. http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm?division=41

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jetson
Dec 17, 2007, 09:16 PM
Anyone find problems with massive decrease in font size after upgrade? I use Roadrunner as my homepage and the Flashplayer component now has a font size that is almost unreadable to the naked eye. I have found no way to modify this font size on the site. Here is the link to the page in question. http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm?division=41

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I had the same problem with Safari when I first upgraded to Leopard. Got zero response from Apple on how to fix it.

It was affecting my Amazon Seller Account page. The font was tiny and unreadable. I emailed Amazon and they responded immediately. Here is the suggestion they sent me:

As you are using Safari there is a fix for this problem and here are
the steps:

1. Make sure that you have Safari opened. Then you will want to
click on “Safari” at the very top of the screen, to the very far
left, right next to the apple logo.

2. You will then want to go to Preferences.

3. You should then get a box with "General" at the top. Once there
you will then need to go to the far right side and click on
the "Advanced" section. This should give you a screen with the
option to click "Universal Access."

4. Once here you will want to look for “Minimum Font Size,” the
default for this is 9. Changing this to 12 should fix the problem.
You will have to accept any changes and refresh the page. The
Seller Account page should then be showing normally again.
Hope this helps!
:)

Batt
Dec 17, 2007, 09:19 PM
Good God! I've installed every update Apple has ever offered and never suffered the dire consequences spattered all over this thread. I suspect the people with the major problems have little thingies from 3rd parties running all over the place. I keep a pretty clean system with maybe two 3rd party helpers running and I have zero problems. I installed today's updates on the MBP and the iBook today with no issues.

ducksrfr
Dec 17, 2007, 09:20 PM
restarted, now my volume is locked on maximum. i can't change it using the keyboard, and the volume control is greyed out in system preferences

Winglet
Dec 17, 2007, 09:26 PM
Jetson,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already done that to no avail because it does not effect Adobe Flashplayer. It's in it's own world and is not responsive to normal text size increases. I am totally baffled by this and apparently so are the rest of the readers since we have no solution as of yet. Makes me think it's a bigger problem with Flashplayer 9 and Leopard.

vohdoun
Dec 17, 2007, 09:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-P03NGSP6Y One of them things. 1:08

:rolleyes:

Bozola
Dec 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
Didn't install Froze reboot.. stuck in Setup new account mode:mad::mad::mad:

in Recovery mode as we speak

Jetson
Dec 17, 2007, 09:48 PM

A troll is an agitator that trolls for fanboys by making incendiary remarks criticizing the beloved person, product, policy, etc.

:o

Iroganai
Dec 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
I had a problem connecting to the .Mac SMTP server after the update,
but now it's resolved. It seems it was unrelated to the update, just the problem on the part of .mac :p

ChrisA
Dec 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
I just read the Apple web page that describes the details of what's in this. I'll bet this is the result of a code audit that looked for some very specific kinds of mistakes like using sprintf() rather then snprintf() and analogous stuff. THis is so wide reaching but at the same time so specific that I strongly suspect they ran some automated tool over their entire code base.

Basically this fixes the same kind of technical mistake in hundreds of places.

If you look at what was fixed, Perl, Samba, Python, CUPS,... Much of this is not written by Apple engineers. It is Open Source code that Apple got off the 'net and put into mac OS X. and then these same kinds of errors are also fixed in Apple's closed source code. Smells of an automated search and destroy mission to me.

It would be easy to see if I'm right, all of the fixes to the GPL'd code wuld have to get contributed back or otherwise made available. Quite a bit of GPL's code got fixed. Linux users now owe some small thanks to Apple.

Luna C
Dec 17, 2007, 10:10 PM
Updated perfectly for me, I don't notice any problems.. or for that matter anything different.

kaiwai
Dec 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
"If your printer isn't compatible with Vista, I say (http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/), 'Buy a new printer!'"

Oh wait... this is a Mac board, right?
:cool:

For me, I'm confused over the number of people who constantly have problems EVERYTIME Apple releases an update - EVERYTIME. I mean, geeze, if you're constantly having that many problems then maybe you need to ask yourself, "am I doing something stupid".

I moved to a Mac back when there was eMac loaded with 10.2 - installed every update, no problems. Upgraded each time, installed every update - again, no problems

I'm now running 10.5; I've installed every updated provided - and again, no problems.

The question I pose is - what the hell are you guys doing to your computer?

PS. I have an el-cheapo $50 Canon PIXMA iP 1200 hooked up to my Airport Extreme Base Station - works like a treat.

DsurioN
Dec 17, 2007, 10:33 PM
Damn... after downloading this update I selected "Not Now" for the reboot process because I was in the middle of some work. Later, when I decided to reboot, I clicked reboot in software update and it closed all my apps and just stood there with my desktop picture, doing nothing. After a few minutes i did a hard shutdown and was greeted by the neverending setup assistant bug some people were experiencing with 10.5.1. I did tuaw's suggested fix, and booted into safe mode. It still was at the setup assistant, but when I rebooted once more it actually installed the update and everything was fine.

This is the first time I've had problems with a software update... it's really odd.

Bozola
Dec 17, 2007, 10:43 PM
Same here... Crap!

Damn... after downloading this update I selected "Not Now" for the reboot process because I was in the middle of some work. Later, when I decided to reboot, I clicked reboot in software update and it closed all my apps and just stood there with my desktop picture, doing nothing. After a few minutes i did a hard shutdown and was greeted by the neverending setup assistant bug some people were experiencing with 10.5.1. I did tuaw's suggested fix, and booted into safe mode. It still was at the setup assistant, but when I rebooted once more it actually installed the update and everything was fine.

This is the first time I've had problems with a software update... it's really odd.

flyinmac
Dec 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
Installed on an iBook and a Mac Pro (both running Leopard). No problems on either. Smooth update.

bretm
Dec 17, 2007, 11:08 PM

Never had any of those issues with iPhone or my MacPro. Don't have them with Leopard.

mikebat
Dec 17, 2007, 11:33 PM
Previewing a file with QuickLook enabled may lead to the disclosure of sensitive information

Description: When previewing an HTML file, plug-ins are not restricted from making network requests. This may lead to the disclosure of sensitive information. This update addresses the issue by disabling plug-ins.

This is quoted from the Apple Knowledge Base article at:
Here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307179)

Can someone verify that the update disables ALL Quick Look plug-ins?
Or is this a typo in Apple's document?

kcmac
Dec 17, 2007, 11:43 PM
This is quoted from the Apple Knowledge Base article at:
Here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307179)

The plug in I installed to look at folders still works. I don't have a zip file on my computer or I could check that one.

Iroganai
Dec 17, 2007, 11:52 PM
I think Apple meant disabling WebKit (i.e. HTML) plug-ins.

Iroganai
Dec 17, 2007, 11:55 PM
Quite a bit of GPL's code got fixed.
Or maybe did Apple just incorporate the fixes already out in the open source community ? Does anyone know ?

CUPS is `owned' by Apple now, so it's a different story, I guess.

daneoni
Dec 18, 2007, 12:27 AM
Installed and no issues. Same can be said for the Quicktime update as well. iMac 2.4 running 10.4.11

mckyvlle
Dec 18, 2007, 01:25 AM
No problems installing this update. :)
Ditto the QuickTime/GarageBand one.

I'm really curious why some people get into so much trouble with software updates? Perhaps running some 3rd party hacks or something?

whynot83706
Dec 18, 2007, 02:14 AM

Same thing here, I am having problems with Safari big time, its has been constantly crashing and locking....I had to move to FireFox.....and I have to say I have been using FireFox for over 2 weeks on my iMac and not a single crash

kaiwai
Dec 18, 2007, 02:58 AM
Same thing here, I am having problems with Safari big time, its has been constantly crashing and locking....I had to move to FireFox.....and I have to say I have been using FireFox for over 2 weeks on my iMac and not a single crash

What is crashing over? I'm viewing Youtube without any problems.

Macciee
Dec 18, 2007, 05:03 AM
Very strange! All my iTunes & iPhoto files (+ settings for everthing!) where lost after update, I had a backup :D

Diisapointing:mad:

Running Leopard on a Macbook ...

Dec 18, 2007, 05:45 AM

Maybe because everything you install on a PC requires a restart? Restarting after install sounds PC-ish to me.:rolleyes:

cloud 9
Dec 18, 2007, 06:38 AM
i think the patch installed perfectly but then my imac wouldn't restart, just a blue screen and the spinning thing.

so after some minutes i restarted it myself. everything looks normal...hopefully it is ^-^

UltraNEO*
Dec 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
Just showed up - 35.4MB on my MacBook

D/L it in 5 secs, installed it
and so far.. no problems.

thx god!!

madmax_2069
Dec 18, 2007, 07:17 AM
still having no issues with the update, been to youtube, yahoo, played a few flash games, all seems well here

Rustus Maximus
Dec 18, 2007, 08:18 AM
restarted, now my volume is locked on maximum. i can't change it using the keyboard, and the volume control is greyed out in system preferences

Duck, try just repairing permissions restarting the Mac first (obvious I know but you'd be surprised how many things get resolved this way). Second, if that doesn't clear it up, go to your Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and find a process named Core Audio. Force Quit it. It should automatically restart and then try your audio functions again.

psychofreak
Dec 18, 2007, 08:20 AM
I generally got a Safari crash once every 2/3 days...after the first day, this hasn't crashed yet, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will last...

macinfojunkie
Dec 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
Duck, try just repairing permissions restarting the Mac first (obvious I know but you'd be surprised how many things get resolved this way). Second, if that doesn't clear it up, go to your Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and find a process named Core Audio. Force Quit it. It should automatically restart and then try your audio functions again.

What is this obsession on Macs of repairing the permission after every update?
I never have to run CACLS after running Windows update! Why would it be necessary when I run Apple Software Update? What is it about Apple updates that continually require people to fix the security on the directory structure? I'm genuinely puzzled why this seems to be such a big thing. Can someone please explain!!!

ImageWrangler
Dec 18, 2007, 08:29 AM
Good God! I've installed every update Apple has ever offered and never suffered the dire consequences spattered all over this thread. I suspect the people with the major problems have little thingies from 3rd parties running all over the place. I keep a pretty clean system with maybe two 3rd party helpers running and I have zero problems. I installed today's updates on the MBP and the iBook today with no issues.

Bingo, we think alike (waves to you over the snow from Oswego).

I'm with you and thinking the same thing but it also occurs to me the broader truism that more people will complain about a product, company, or person, than will compliment it. Somewhere I read if someone gets good service (from a place, person, etc.) they may tell up to five people, if they get bad service, they'll tell twenty. In other words, you're going to get more people posting in this thread about issues than saying "works great, good job Apple."

BTW of the Leopard update... works great, good job Apple!

For the others hopefully someone has suggestions on this board, hence why MacRumors is an awesome community.

GA troll is an agitator... making incendiary remarks criticizing... etc.

Multimedia isn't here anymore.

jayducharme
Dec 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
What is it about Apple updates that continually require people to fix the security on the directory structure?

Probably the closest PC analogy is cleaning the registry in Windows. There's no actual registry in OSX, but certain links between applications and their data have to be maintained. If you're curious, read this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

There are also maintenance routines in OSX that are set to run early in the morning, but only if you've left your computer on. If you shut it down at night, a great little free utility that handles a lot of this at your convenience is OnyX.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/

After every OSX update, the system is "optimized" (which, if I understand it correctly, is sort of like defragging on a PC). But I don't think permissions are repaired. It seems like that would be a useful thing to have embedded in the updates. Although I've also heard that with the Leopard, repairing permissions is less critical than it used to be.

Foxglove9
Dec 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
Updated both Security and Quicktime updates last night. Other than a tiny graphical glitch upon restarting (lasted maybe 2 seconds, some icons became invisible), things have been okay. We'll see by tonight after I use this some more.

debindenver
Dec 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
I just installed Update 2007-009 and now Word shuts down as soon as I try and print. (I have just purchased one of the new iMacs and installed Office about a week ago.).

HD303
Dec 18, 2007, 09:38 AM
Installed, froze on reboot. Had to hard re-start. Seems to be working fine.

majordude
Dec 18, 2007, 09:56 AM

Which is...?

karpich1
Dec 18, 2007, 10:27 AM
Which is...?
If it's what I'm thinking of, then it's an annoying one. I have it too.

Occasionally the MBP keyboard will miss/ignore the first letter you type if there is a big enough pause beforehand. This is even if you have the energy settings turned to max performance so it doesn't go on standby and the hard drive keeps stays on 100% of the time.

Lookup macbook pro first key on Google and you'll see what I mean. There's even a ticket logged with Apple. I don't know which revisions are affected, but I know at the very least the LED screen 15" has it (that's mine).

I have the problem and it's really annoying, especially when I'm writing code or have to type in a password. If the machine is idle for a few minutes, chances are your next keystroke will be lost.

The last time I checked, there was no true fix and I believe it even happens with an external USB keyboard. I've heard that the USB hardware might be the culprit because the built-in keyboard might be hooked up to it too. But I've heard lots of theories so take that with a grain of salt.

However I've started using the Bluetooth keyboard to get around the problem. Programming is complicated enough; not but if a numeric constant is typed in wrong it can be killer to trace and debug.

It's kind of disappointing. The last Apple product I had was a 1.25GHz Al Powerbook and it was fine. But this is an annoying enough bug to sour the taste in my mouth a little, especially since its' been ongoing for over 6 months. Sure the Bluetooth keyboard gets around the problem, but when I need to use the MacBook Pro away from the desk I have to be extra careful as I type.

morespce54
Dec 18, 2007, 10:33 AM

same thing here... :mad:
but I doubt a security update would solve that... :(

DiamondMac
Dec 18, 2007, 10:43 AM

Amen. Glad I am not the only one. Safari crashed several times a DAY for me. Haven't had any problems since this update

mdgolom
Dec 18, 2007, 10:55 AM
I installed the upgrade this morning. After restarting the computer, I go to the Setup Assistant and it loops. If I quit or complete the assistant, it goes right back to it. I found a possible solution, so I'll have to try it when I get home.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
Installed with no problems. However, for some strange reason, on my Windows box (while I was waiting for the security update to install) Firefox decided to crash on the Apple home page. :confused: Coincidence?

Kilamite
Dec 18, 2007, 11:42 AM

Haven't noticed any differences, but after all; it is only a security update, not 10.5.2.

Dec 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
This may be off topic, but here's a little insight for those having flash issues... I downloaded Safari for Windows and it crashes when playing FLV, SWF (two most popular type of flash [flv - flash video, and swf - shockwave]). I run my own website and had major issues with flash when running IE7 (cryptic hex errors and crashing). I was getting the same when viewing videos on YouTube and GobTube.

I have had No problems with Mozilla's Firefox.

I am somehow wondering if Adobe changed the way FLV/SWF are rendered and the rest of the world has not caught up yet. Mozilla Firefox is generally way ahead of all browsers, yet Safari displays the crispest text and pictures I have seen yet.

Also, I have had many problems with 3rd party applications that render output to SWF or FLV - hence now why I stick to Adobe products to render my flashes for Youtube/GodTube.

kornyboy
Dec 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Installed updates last night and everything seems to be working fine. I did use the computer pretty heavily last night after the update so I feel that I got a pretty good indication that all is well.

ckurowic
Dec 18, 2007, 01:15 PM
just did the update and the system is definetly faster. I think that is the case though after every security update for some reason.
Safari page pop up fast .....:):):)

Cable ISP on airport extreme
G5, IMAC G5, Powerbook G4

My G5 1.6GHz seems faster as well.

estlerg
Dec 18, 2007, 01:30 PM
Before installing this update, I backed up my hard drive and repaired permissions on my computer. After installing, my computer would not get past the initial grey screen (with the Apple logo and spinning 'starburst'). I let that run for several hours, shut off the computer and attempted to restart with the same results.:eek:

So, I booted off my backup disk, ran Disk Utility's 'Repair Permissions" routine and again attempted to restart. This timne was successful.

Another user told me that I might have had success just by trying a "Safe Boot' (i.e., startup with the shift key held down) but I had already been successful so cannot verify that would have worked.

nebsta
Dec 18, 2007, 01:31 PM

Occasionally the MBP keyboard will miss/ignore the first letter you type if there is a big enough pause beforehand. This is even if you have the energy settings turned to max performance so it doesn't go on standby and the hard drive keeps stays on 100% of the time.

I have this problem, but another keyboard issue is where the keyboard locks up and is just not responsive to any key press for about 1 minute. I also have this issue and have done since I upgraded to Leopard, however, it seems to have got much worse since I installed this Security Update - really hope Apple release a fix soon!

chillywilly
Dec 18, 2007, 02:38 PM
Finally did the 10.4.11 and Security update this morning. Made a backup (just in case) but it wasn't needed. Everything ran flawless.

My system is pretty clean now (I did an new install when I upgrade my hard drive to a 250gb 2 months ago) as I used to have occasional issues when updating.

senc01a
Dec 18, 2007, 04:18 PM
Have they updated the NVIDIA driver or something?
My MBP nvidia 128 mb seems to run much much smoother in minmizing, expose, etc etc.
;)

alosii
Dec 18, 2007, 06:21 PM
Both the QT and the Security update work as advertised. Installed flawlessly on my Powerbook G4 and on my MacBook. I really dont see how people get faulty upgrades....:rolleyes:

chillywilly
Dec 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
Both the QT and the Security update work as advertised. Installed flawlessly on my Powerbook G4 and on my MacBook. I really dont see how people get faulty upgrades....:rolleyes:

It's not so much faulty upgrades, as it is the updates don't install on systems with various changes, quirky issues, 3rd party add-ons and system instabilities.

SilverSpy
Dec 18, 2007, 07:06 PM

I got the same system, installed the updates and everything is working gravy over here as well

carbon8ted
Dec 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
I use a site which actually needs popup windows to function. The windows don't pop up under Safari any more. They're not disabled under Safari so far's I can tell.

I had to switch to Firefox.

pistolero
Dec 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
For me, I'm confused over the number of people who constantly have problems EVERYTIME Apple releases an update - EVERYTIME. I mean, geeze, if you're constantly having that many problems then maybe you need to ask yourself, "am I doing something stupid".

I moved to a Mac back when there was eMac loaded with 10.2 - installed every update, no problems. Upgraded each time, installed every update - again, no problems

I used to think that., until yesterday.. I installed the update and now internet access has become extremely slow to the point of being unusable. However I can browse perfectly fast using parallels ( I am posting from Firefox on xp). I run no extensions of 3 party hacks or anything different. It's annoys me that I have no way to uninstall this crappy update and go back to an earlier state. Now I have to reinstall.

Jetson
Dec 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
I was experiencing system slowness after installing this upgrade.

I could hear the hard drive being accessed so I checked Activity Monitor. I discovered that a family of processes named 'mds' were consuming a lot of the CPU. It turns out that these processes are Spotlight re-indexing the hard drive.

So I gave it time to finish and once it did, performance was back to normal.

icecavern
Dec 19, 2007, 01:15 AM
Safari and mail have definatley become unstable with this update. The previous security update about a month ago has taken me back to having the airport connection problem I had with 10.4.9 where the connection comes and goes all the time on battery. Now I'm stuck with safari and mail crashing all the time.

I wish they'd get these things right for once.

surripere
Dec 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
Edit: comment removed, because problem resolved (by way of not actually being a problem).

vansouza
Dec 19, 2007, 04:01 PM
The ALiMac 2.8, white iMac 2.4 and MBP 2.16 all working fine after all new updates...

Jetson
Dec 19, 2007, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know how to reset the switch that makes Leopard use iTunes as the default internet music app?

After this update whenever I click on a link that plays music, iTunes ever so slowly cranks up and plays the clip instead the of app that the browser was designed to use.

I'm trying to listen to Amazon.com mp3 clips, which worked fine before the update.

I went to the iTunes preferences but it only allows you to set iTunes as the default internet music app. It won't let you un-select or reset. Weird...

Of course I checked Apple's help system and their discussion boards - no luck.

DukeofAnkh
Dec 19, 2007, 04:42 PM

I installed the upgrade this morning. After restarting the computer, I go to the Setup Assistant and it loops. If I quit or complete the assistant, it goes right back to it. I found a possible solution, so I'll have to try it when I get home.

similar thing happened to me. I didn't restart straight away and hen when I did get around to it, it froze on my background with no icons or menu and that little round loading thing going. I hard reset and then got stuck in a loop of login screen to setup assistant to login screen. When I realised it it was a loop, I hit the shutdown button on the login screen and it actually installed the update while shutting down. It seemed to reboot normally but since then things like finder and spotlight keep hanging (and eventually requiring a hard shutdown) and itunes seems really slow. :-/

And before anyone tells me I have 3rd party hacks installed, it's mostly only Apple apps that are having problems. Firefox and Adium (my two most used non-Apple apps) are fine. Oh and Word keeps hanging, but then Word's always been a bit crap in Leopard.

EDIT: I reintalled Leopard and turns out Time Machine had stopped doing backups since the security patch. Nothing too major but a little annoying.

chrisjhill
Dec 20, 2007, 06:32 AM
All went fine.

agore
Dec 20, 2007, 09:46 AM

This is the one problem I had on my SR MBP with Leopard. The update seems to mainly fix it. I get maybe 1/20 as frequently as before.

asap1969
Dec 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Strange thing. My powerbook hd crashed, bought a new macmini. Transferred vital files, incl. itunes files to macmini from external backup hd. Everything fine, especially annoying fetchart logo disappeared, as it was brand new itunes. Now, after security update the fetch art logo reappeared on itunes!! Deleted it from itunes/scripts after some google browsing, so it is now ok. I am just wondering how the hell did it come back there and are there any other similar cases coming?

lwcoffer2
Dec 20, 2007, 08:42 PM
no problems here-MB 2.0 C2D. afraid of the qt update though:rolleyes:

6502usetabe
Dec 20, 2007, 11:55 PM
I used to think that., until yesterday.. I installed the update and now internet access has become extremely slow to the point of being unusable. However I can browse perfectly fast using parallels ( I am posting from Firefox on xp). I run no extensions of 3 party hacks or anything different. It's annoys me that I have no way to uninstall this crappy update and go back to an earlier state. Now I have to reinstall.

OMG it isn't snappier??

anrake
Dec 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
my safari crashes every time I uses certain web forms. It seems to be sites that open a new window after you've logged in. I removed the "block pop up windows" preference and restarted but it still does the same thing. any ideas?

kaiwai
Dec 21, 2007, 08:56 PM

Hold on sugar buns :)

2007-009 1.1 has been released; it'll fix those problems you experienced.

It was listed on Versiontracker, checked, it appears that what was offered initially was 1.0, this is 1.1 which most likely fixes those issues people find.

I've outlined it on my blog.

anrake
Dec 22, 2007, 09:15 AM
that new update there did the trick