PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 1018

Poohjlv
Jun 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ok, so I'm in an annoying situation. I bought an HP Laserjet 1018 online, but because the site was badly coded and didn't work with Safari, it didn't show the crucial little bit on the bottom that said it wasn't compatible with OSX. (Beware when buying from www.quill.com)!

So, I have a printer I am not sure I can return, since I have already opened it etc. Is there any way I can use a generic driver to make this situation work?

Thanks,
Pooh

gsahli
Jun 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foo2zjs

Poohjlv
Jun 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks. This works, but it has some hitches that I'm still trying to work out.

Apple!Fre@k
Feb 5, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hmmm didn't work for me. I get to the last step, the double clicking of the script that loads the firmware for my 1018 and then the light on my printer goes from solid to a steady blink. It won't print a thing. I downloaded all three programs, too. Any ideas?

Apple!Fre@k
Feb 5, 2008, 06:33 AM
Anyone?

mrock
Feb 5, 2008, 06:39 AM
Plug the printer in and turn it on. Make sure you've installed foo2zjs (follow instructions on their page) and then open up a terminal and run the following command:

cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1018.dl > /dev/usb/lp0

You can then create a shell script for this and using something like MarcoPolo, have it execute automatically when you turn your printer on.

Reply if you'd like more details

Apple!Fre@k
Feb 6, 2008, 04:11 AM
Problem solved!

I e-mailed the developer and we debuged the problem. Apparently, the firmware update will not work through a wireless network and I had my LaserJet 1018 running through my Apple Airport Extreme. I cut that out of the equation and ran a USB straight from the printer to my computer and wahlah! El printo :)

j.le.conte
Jul 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
How did you solved that problem?

Because I can only send the firmware to the printer when the printer is connected to my Mac.
After that I connect the printer to the Airport Extrene, but then it didn't work.