PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake 0.9.3 released

PilotWoo
Nov 23, 2008, 03:34 PM
New version of handbrake out today. No longer crashes when loading some sources, however fps has gone from 24 to average of 12 on a Core2Duo 2.16 for the AppleTV preset!

New features...

Universal input - HandBrake is no longer limited to DVDs
Video quality - HandBrake 0.9.3 integrates the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library.
Audio flexibility - HandBrake now offers total control over multiple audio tracks.
No more internal DVD decryption
Persistent queues - Queued jobs are cached to disk for safekeeping between sessions.
New, better organized presets
Audio-video synchronization - HandBrake should now keep lip-synch as well as a DVD player can.
Decomb filter
Multi-threaded deinterlacing
"Same as source framerate" really is the same as the source framerate
Theora video encoding
Updated libraries
Massive improvements to all interfaces

Kilamite
Nov 23, 2008, 03:53 PM
Good - didn't get a positive response when I asked on the HandBrake forums (and grumbles here too) for the ability to freely change the resolution (i.e. increase the width beyond the source's width) so I can convert 4:3 content (such as South Park) to 16:9.

Forget the blackbars argument, I just want to eventually replace VisualHub since it is no longer in development, and changing 4:3 content to 16:9 is something I do every week (with South Park, American Dad and Family Guy).

PcBgone
Nov 23, 2008, 04:20 PM
What exactly does no more internal dvd decryption mean? Does that mean it can no longer decrypt protected dvds?

NightStorm
Nov 23, 2008, 04:23 PM
What exactly does no more internal dvd decryption mean? Does that mean it can no longer decrypt protected dvds?
Why don't you go read the announcement?

http://handbrake.fr/?article=9

thomahawk
Nov 23, 2008, 04:24 PM
it means that handbrake does not do the internal dvd decryption anymore, it uses VLC's codecs and librarys to decrypt the dvd instead.

PcBgone
Nov 23, 2008, 04:25 PM
Why don't you go read the announcement?

http://handbrake.fr/?article=9

I did...it still didnt make sense to me as to what they were stating on this topic..

dukebound85
Nov 23, 2008, 04:25 PM
so did this just make visual hub redundant?

PcBgone
Nov 23, 2008, 04:26 PM
it means that handbrake does not do the internal dvd decryption anymore, it uses VLC's codecs and librarys to decrypt the dvd instead.

So its still going to decrypt, but use different librarys and codecs to decrypt, is this going to effect speed any?

thomahawk
Nov 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
Well, i tried converting videos on the new handbrake, and i have to say it works and its pretty decent. but visualhub by far still kicks handbrakes converters butt. i converted the same movie file into the same thing, and visualhub seems to do it much more efficiently and faster. meaning my CPU isnt blown up sky high, and theres not a lot of heat disappating from my macbook then when i use handbrakes video converter.
overall i gotta say the video converter is a great idea. but i think it might need a little more work. cuz visualhub is what im still sticking with for now

NightStorm
Nov 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
Same library, different source.

Cromulent
Nov 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the new release. Just doing a test encode now. Seems quite slow but I am encoding a 1080p film which I guess is pretty intense :). Seems to fully utilise your CPU (a good thing).

I think the increased time could be due to the fact that the settings are by default better quality. You'll have to play around in the advanced tab to see what is the best in terms of quality and speed.

For reference I'm getting 6fps encoding to the Apple TV preset a 1080p film (the only change to the preset was to remove the anamorphic setting and to restore it to full 1080p resolution).

Edit : That's on a 2006 Mac Pro by the way.

Kilamite
Nov 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
VisualHub does encode quicker - a 20 minute episode takes about 10 minutes in VisualHub and 16 minutes in HandBrake. Using the Apple TV preset (target file size 180MB) in VisualHub and Apple TV preset in HandBrake (target file size 180MB).

eddyg
Nov 23, 2008, 04:50 PM
So its still going to decrypt, but use different librarys and codecs to decrypt, is this going to effect speed any?

No change to speed, no change to functionality, just means an extra download of "VLC" if you don't already have it, or it means updating it if you have an older copy.

It's simply a way of working around legal issues of bundling the decryption libs with HandBrake.

Cheers, Ed.

bsheridan
Nov 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
I can't get an update through Handbrakes 'Check for updates'.
Says 0.9.2/2008021900 is the current version.
:confused:

dukebound85
Nov 23, 2008, 04:57 PM
I can't get an update through Handbrakes 'Check for updates'.
Says 0.9.2/2008021900 is the current version.
:confused:

just get it from their website. the updater doesnt show it yet

sr55
Nov 23, 2008, 04:58 PM
The updater won't show the update for a few days / a week or so. Server Load is a concern that needs to be watched.

G-Com
Nov 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
The updater won't show the update for a few days / a week or so. Server Load is a concern that needs to be watched.
I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a notice.

Jelite
Nov 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
Awesome! just about to try out the windows version, i've tried so many converters in windows and nothing works like i want it too, used to use visual hub and handbrake on my mac without any trouble so hopefully this will convert my files to mp4 for itunes and Touch (fingers crossed).

G-Com
Nov 23, 2008, 06:09 PM
...used to use visual hub...
No longer being supported. I just did a clean install and VisualHub officially qualifies for OldApps.com.

Cromulent
Nov 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
No longer being supported. I just did a clean install and VisualHub officially qualifies for OldApps.com.

Visual Hub has been open sourced for your information. You can download the source code and compile a new version yourself.

Edit : Should be noted the open source version is not fully functional.

eddyg
Nov 24, 2008, 03:43 AM
VisualHub does encode quicker - a 20 minute episode takes about 10 minutes in VisualHub and 16 minutes in HandBrake. Using the Apple TV preset (target file size 180MB) in VisualHub and Apple TV preset in HandBrake (target file size 180MB).

If you used target size then your not using the atv preset. The new atv preset in hb (if left unaltered) should make the resultant movie indistinguishable from the source (on an atv at least).

The VH preset was not of as high a quality. You can drop the quality on the preset by changing some of the advanced h264 options and ensuring that decomb and vfr are disabled, which is what I do for eyetv encodes using hb.

Cheers Ed

G-Com
Nov 24, 2008, 04:16 AM
Visual Hub has been open sourced for your information. You can download the source code and compile a new version yourself.
Me? :eek:

PilotWoo
Nov 24, 2008, 04:20 AM
I can't live with the speed of the new version, so it's back to 0.9.2 until they release something a bit quicker.

NightStorm
Nov 24, 2008, 09:14 AM
I can't live with the speed of the new version, so it's back to 0.9.2 until they release something a bit quicker.

Or use the Apple legacy presets that use the same settings as .9.2...

Cromulent
Nov 24, 2008, 01:25 PM

As I said before it has nothing to do with the intrinsic speed of the program. It is exactly the same speed. The only change is the settings you are using.

dynaflash
Nov 24, 2008, 03:16 PM
As I said before it has nothing to do with the intrinsic speed of the program. It is exactly the same speed. The only change is the settings you are using.

Actually you are generally right but frankly 0.9.3 is *faster* than 0.9.2 using the *same settings*. So to properly compare you would use the Apple > Legacy > AppleTV Legacy preset in 0.9.3 (oops, just gave it away .. you can use 0.9.3 with the old 0.9.2 preset ;) ) of course using the same source for comparison.

among other things the x264 encoder is *much* faster in 0.9.3 with better output.

Sorkvild
Nov 24, 2008, 05:04 PM
I used to use isquint to convert avis for my ipod, then hook up the ipod to my TV and watch that way. Settings were: optimized for TV, Go Nuts, and H.264.

Deciding to try Handbrake, I can't seem to find an appropriate setting. The iPod preset assumes you want to watch it on your iPod and results in the movie being 320x240. isquint made my videos grow to 640x480, but Handbrake keeps the same resolution, in this case 512x384. I was told to use the Universal preset, but the quality is poorer compared to when I used isquint. Could anyone recommend a decent setting? Thanks a ton!

PilotWoo
Nov 24, 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks, I will try with the Legacy preset and see if the speed returns. Well spotted. I don't like to go back software releases if I have to.

fivepoint
Nov 24, 2008, 06:58 PM
Is there a reason I can't choose "double pass" any more with the AppleTV preset? Also, is it always set at "59% quality"? What was the reason this was changed vs. the "2500 kbps" it was before?

Any info would be appreciated!

NightStorm
Nov 24, 2008, 07:06 PM
Is there a reason I can't choose "double pass" any more with the AppleTV preset? Also, is it always set at "59% quality"? What was the reason this was changed vs. the "2500 kbps" it was before?

Any info would be appreciated!

From the release announcement (http://handbrake.fr/?article=9):

There have been many changes to most of them. Please be aware that most presets now use different settings. This means most of them are not suited for benchmarking 0.9.3 against 0.9.2. For example, the AppleTV preset is slower because it is now quality based, and produces much more efficient output. The Normal preset uses psychovisual rate distortion. The High Profile presets use psychovisual trellising. All of these setting changes can influence encoding time and output file size.

For comparison purposes, there are several presets in the Apple->Legacy folder (the old iPod High-Rez, the old AppleTV, and the old iPhone presets) which remain unchanged since 0.9.2.

mohanman
Nov 24, 2008, 07:41 PM
I find that handbrake has better video quality especially for dark scenes in which macroblocking may be apparent. I hate blocks! Handbrake, however, crashes a lot on conversion of mkvs, which I have not quite found a fix for. If it does work, the quality is superb.

Mo

Mindflux
Nov 24, 2008, 07:44 PM
Bummer. I don't use VLC and have no desire to install it.

bearcatrp
Nov 24, 2008, 09:04 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the new release. Just doing a test encode now. Seems quite slow but I am encoding a 1080p film which I guess is pretty intense :). Seems to fully utilise your CPU (a good thing).

I think the increased time could be due to the fact that the settings are by default better quality. You'll have to play around in the advanced tab to see what is the best in terms of quality and speed.

For reference I'm getting 6fps encoding to the Apple TV preset a 1080p film (the only change to the preset was to remove the anamorphic setting and to restore it to full 1080p resolution).

Edit : That's on a 2006 Mac Pro by the way.

Bump your ram to 6 or 8 gb and your fps will jump. Check your page outs and I'll bet there high with only 2gb ram.

gracemac
Nov 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
so well to share the info , i believe handbrake will support more and more video souce

spacepower7
Nov 25, 2008, 01:39 AM
Bummer. I don't use VLC and have no desire to install it.

Don't mean to sound like an aXX but you have over 1900 posts and you're a Demi-God and you don't have VLC on your computer? Wow!
(That would be a good poll)

It's only one of the most useful and versatile media programs on the Mac.

It doesn't litter your hard drive, it is self contained and just puts prefs in user/Library/Preferences/VLC
It's not like other codecs that put stuff in root/Library/etc or root/System/Library/etc

You're missing out on one of the best mac programs that I have been using since 2002/2003

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 25, 2008, 01:55 AM
VLC is awesome, played everything I threw at it for over 2 years. Still trying to think of some file that it can't play...

dukebound85
Nov 25, 2008, 02:12 AM
VLC is awesome, played everything I threw at it for over 2 years. Still trying to think of some file that it can't play...

lol wont play .rm files

spacepower7
Nov 25, 2008, 03:25 AM
As a legacy format .rm might have some relevance? bc the original content is no longer available?

I don't know any casual (meaning everyone who doesn't join computer forums) computer users that even know what .rm .ra etc even mean.

Q. Who really uses .rm media nowadays?
A. In terms of media outlets, no one unless they have free licenses and "incentives."

As much as I hate .wmv, i'd rather deal with one than a .rm
Come to think of it, I have only had to deal with one .rm and one .rmvb in a job since 2001.

For a name of "Real", they are really unimportant, and their Mac app sucks as much as MS Mac WMP.

Back in their HeyDay, I liked Real, but since the were not integrated into an OS like WMP and Quicktime, they had to have adverts and a clunky interface, and their PC version was always steps ahead of the Mac version.

The only ballsy/original that Real did in the past 7 years was try to market this new DVD ripping/encoding app that preserves CCS ( or is that CSS) and allow consumers to easily put their DVDs on their CPU. (Stuck in lawsuits now)

I think that Apple is secretly watching this closely, as a possible new iTunes/AppleTV route

/Rant Over

Sorry people, forgot this was a handbrake thread, not a Real/VLC thread.

Anyway, HandBrake Rules, and now I need to contribute to this thread instead of ranting.

Cromulent
Nov 25, 2008, 03:39 AM
Bump your ram to 6 or 8 gb and your fps will jump. Check your page outs and I'll bet there high with only 2gb ram.

Possibly. It's not a major issue for me.

Kilamite
Nov 25, 2008, 07:23 AM
Has there been any tweaks from the Developer Snapshot in this final release? I have a few .mkv files that I can now encode, which I wasn't able to on the Developer Snapshot (failed halfway through).

Don't mean to sound like an aXX but you have over 1900 posts and you're a Demi-God and you don't have VLC on your computer? Wow!

A Demi-God is just someone who's contributed to the hosting of this website (PayPal of a few bucks). It isn't a measure of the intelligence or computing experience of a forum member.

TheCheapGeek
Nov 25, 2008, 07:28 AM
I tired for about an hour last night to test the new handbrake with some avi files. And every time it crashed mid encode. It nice that it preserves your queue but i guess it should since it crashed so much. Back to iSquint i guess.

fivepoint
Nov 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
From the release announcement (http://handbrake.fr/?article=9):

I do not see how that answers my question. For clarification, here is what I want to know:

Is there a reason I can't choose "double pass" any more with the AppleTV preset?
Is the new AppleTV preset always set at "59% quality"?
What was the reason this was changed vs. the "2500 kbps" it was before?
I did one movie last night in both legacy and current AppleTV format. The new one was almost half the size in the end, and I couldn't choose "double-pass" if my life depended on it. Why?

Dynaflash, do you have any insight on this matter?

NightStorm
Nov 25, 2008, 08:02 AM
I told you exactly what to do (without directly saying it)... use the AppleTV Legacy preset if you want to use the settings in .9.2. Hopefully the info below helps as well.

Is there a reason I can't choose "double pass" any more with the AppleTV preset?
Two pass is not compatible (and unnecessary) with CRF.

Is the new AppleTV preset always set at "59% quality"?
Yes. You're free to create a custom variant with a different value of course.

What was the reason this was changed vs. the "2500 kbps" it was before?
The devs typically use CRF for their encodes and decided to make the preset based on a given percentage of quality (don't think that 100%=perfect though) instead of an average bitrate. This allows the encoder to use as few or as many bits as necessary to preserve this level of quality. The postives of this is better quality and smaller file sizes, the negatives are potential larger file sizes if the encoder needs to encode at a higher bitrate and the inability to estimate final output file sizes.

I did one movie last night in both legacy and current AppleTV format. The new one was almost half the size in the end, and I couldn't choose "double-pass" if my life depended on it. Why?
This is because the new preset doesn't use bits when they are not necessary. What happened is the encoder determined that fewer bits were neeeded to encode at the quality requested. With ABR, the encoder uses bits even if they are not necessary in order to maintain the given ABR.

In all honesty, if quality is a concern you really should use CRF. If file sizes are a concern, use ABR.

dynaflash
Nov 25, 2008, 08:26 AM
what he said. :)

fivepoint
Nov 25, 2008, 08:44 AM
I told you exactly what to do (without directly saying it)... use the AppleTV Legacy preset if you want to use the settings in .9.2. Hopefully the info below helps as well.

Right, I knew that I COULD use the old one, I was just wondering what the benefits of the new version were, and why the decisions were made to make the changes.

Two pass is not compatible (and unnecessary) with CRF.

Thank you.

Yes. You're free to create a custom variant with a different value of course.

And the higher the percentage, the higher the bitrate, correct?

The devs typically use CRF for their encodes and decided to make the preset based on a given percentage of quality (don't think that 100%=perfect though) instead of an average bitrate. This allows the encoder to use as few or as many bits as necessary to preserve this level of quality. The postives of this is better quality and smaller file sizes, the negatives are potential larger file sizes if the encoder needs to encode at a higher bitrate and the inability to estimate final output file sizes.

Very good info. Thanks! During high-motion scenes, I'm assuming CRF automatically adjust the bitrate so you have more data in those scenes than those which dont' change much. Is that what you're saying? I don't know the difference between CRF and ABR... so that is my fault. Also, is there a possiblity of the bitrate auto-adjusting so high that the AppleTV can't handle it? Or does this become a possibility with HD content only?

This is because the new preset doesn't use bits when they are not necessary. What happened is the encoder determined that fewer bits were neeeded to encode at the quality requested. With ABR, the encoder uses bits even if they are not necessary in order to maintain the given ABR.

Seems much more efficient. This will fit my setup well. Could you also explain to me what the "59%" number actually stands for, and how it directly translates into video quality/ bitrate?

In all honesty, if quality is a concern you really should use CRF. If file sizes are a concern, use ABR.

Quality is my number one concern. I'm doing this for the long-haul, so I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing quality for a few MB here and there. So... with that being said... the new AppleTV preset should work a lot better for me than the 0.9.2 version? And I could also increase the percentage to get even more quality at the risk of a larger file size?

One last thing... the movie I tried last night was "The Saint". With the old version of the AppleTV preset, the output .mp4 file had black bars on top and bottom to acheive 16:9. The new version however, automatically took the bars out and just saved the movie itself. Is the new version more adept at doing this, and consequently saving file size?

Thanks for all of your help Nightstorm and Dynaflash! The community appreciates it!

NightStorm
Nov 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
And the higher the percentage, the higher the bitrate, correct?
Yes, because the x264 encoder will try to maintain a higher level of quality, which will require more bits.

Very good info. Thanks! During high-motion scenes, I'm assuming CRF automatically adjust the bitrate so you have more data in those scenes than those which dont' change much. Is that what you're saying? I don't know the difference between CRF and ABR... so that is my fault. Also, is there a possiblity of the bitrate auto-adjusting so high that the AppleTV can't handle it? Or does this become a possibility with HD content only?
That's exactly what it does -- uses bits when it needs them, but doesn't waste them when it doesn't. There are ways to control how the encoder operates (vbv-maxrate, vbv-bufsize), but I'll defer to dynaflash on this as I haven't had any problems with the preset, but I've only encoded one piece of HD material with the new Handbrake (I've been busy working with the devs on what eventually became the Universal preset).

Seems much more efficient. This will fit my setup well. Could you also explain to me what the "59%" number actually stands for, and how it directly translates into video quality/ bitrate?
I can't explain it any better than the devs already have here: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CRFGuide

Quality is my number one concern. I'm doing this for the long-haul, so I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing quality for a few MB here and there. So... with that being said... the new AppleTV preset should work a lot better for me than the 0.9.2 version? And I could also increase the percentage to get even more quality at the risk of a larger file size?
Sure, but don't go too crazy... Sticking close to 59% will do pretty good. I've seen some people bumping this as high as 62%, but anything higher with the newer x264 builds seems to be wasteful. HD sources may need to be lower from what I've read, but again I haven't done much testing in this area myself.

Thanks for all of your help Nightstorm and Dynaflash! The community appreciates it!
Not a problem! :D

dynaflash
Nov 25, 2008, 10:13 AM
Sure, but don't go too crazy... Sticking close to 59% will do pretty good. I've seen some people bumping this as high as 62%, but anything higher with the newer x264 builds seems to be wasteful. HD sources may need to be lower from what I've read, but again I haven't done much testing in this area myself.

While the constant quality slider is obviously linear, there is actually a curve (and quite a curve) for cq in x264.

As a result, there is a huge point of diminishing returns. For sd dvd this hits at about 59-60%. Above that and you can start getting hugely bloated file sizes and bitrates with little and sometimes no visual quality gain.

Yes, vbv can be used to constrain bitrate spikes on noisy/complex sources but largely shouldn't be necessary with HB 0.9.3's ATV preset and ATV 2.3 imho. As well proper vbv settings is frankly way more than I want to go into here :)

afaiac constant quality is the way to go.

fivepoint
Nov 25, 2008, 10:20 AM
While the constant quality slider is obviously linear, there is actually a curve (and quite a curve) for cq in x264.

As a result, there is a huge point of diminishing returns. For sd dvd this hits at about 59-60%. Above that and you can start getting hugely bloated file sizes and bitrates with little and sometimes no visual quality gain.

Yes, vbv can be used to constrain bitrate spikes on noisy/complex sources but largely shouldn't be necessary with HB 0.9.3's ATV preset and ATV 2.3 imho. As well proper vbv settings is frankly way more than I want to go into here :)

afaiac constant quality is the way to go.

So basically, just use the damn AppleTV preset, and you'll be fine!!! :)

The only other question I had, was the one below: "the movie I tried last night was "The Saint". With the old version of the AppleTV preset, the output .mp4 file had black bars on top and bottom to acheive 16:9. The new version however, automatically took the bars out and just saved the movie itself. Is the new version more adept at doing this, and consequently saving file size? "

NightStorm
Nov 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
The only other question I had, was the one below: "the movie I tried last night was "The Saint". With the old version of the AppleTV preset, the output .mp4 file had black bars on top and bottom to acheive 16:9. The new version however, automatically took the bars out and just saved the movie itself. Is the new version more adept at doing this, and consequently saving file size? "
Going purely from memory, I believe there were some changes in the way automatic crop works in Handbrake -- you are likely seeing the benefit of this.

Or there was something wrong with the first encode. :p

Kilamite
Nov 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info - was interesting to read.

Is there any chance of a timer being included? I know there is an ETA timer, but an actual timer that tells you how long the encode actually took would be useful.

Also, I've noticed with HD material (when using the Apple Universal preset) that in the picture settings, it has squashed the picture right down and the resolution is something like 200x700 (short width and long height). I have to manually adjust to get the right resolution. The files I'm using are 720p.

Obviously I can just edit the preset and save a new one with the picture settings for HD files, just wondering why it does that.

dynaflash
Nov 25, 2008, 10:38 AM
Is there any chance of a timer being included? I know there is an ETA timer, but an actual timer that tells you how long the encode actually took would be useful.

Well, your encode logs tells you the average fps of the encode.

"[10:37:48] work: average encoding speed for job is 144.824905 fps"

but its not shown in the gui. you will see it right at the end of the encode.

No, there is nothing that tells you how much time it took.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:31 AM
New version of handbrake out today. No longer crashes when loading some sources, however fps has gone from 24 to average of 12 on a Core2Duo 2.16 for the AppleTV preset!

New features...

Universal input - HandBrake is no longer limited to DVDs
Video quality - HandBrake 0.9.3 integrates the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library.
Audio flexibility - HandBrake now offers total control over multiple audio tracks.
No more internal DVD decryption
Persistent queues - Queued jobs are cached to disk for safekeeping between sessions.
New, better organized presets
Audio-video synchronization - HandBrake should now keep lip-synch as well as a DVD player can.
Decomb filter
Multi-threaded deinterlacing
"Same as source framerate" really is the same as the source framerate
Theora video encoding
Updated libraries
Massive improvements to all interfaces

An absolutely crappy update, not to mention the fact the built-in DVD decryption does not exist anymore.

In fact, EVERY single video file I've tried to convert to AppleTV format causes HB to crash before even one-quarter of the conversion process is complete.

If you feel like testing it, DO NOT erase version 0.9.2; you will probably need to revert to it. As for video file conversion, just use the free iSquint and be happy.

A terrible job, HB team; hopefully you will do better for 0.9.4.

richpjr
Nov 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
An absolutely crappy update, not to mention the fact the built-in DVD decryption does not exist anymore.

In fact, EVERY single video file I've tried to convert to AppleTV format causes HB to crash before even one-quarter of the conversion process is complete.

If you feel like testing it, DO NOT erase version 0.9.2; you will probably need to revert to it. As for video file conversion, just use the free iSquint and be happy.

Hmmm...my experience was just the opposite. A couple of movies that crashed .92 regularly now work.

Kilamite
Nov 29, 2008, 11:47 AM
Well, your encode logs tells you the average fps of the encode.

"[10:37:48] work: average encoding speed for job is 144.824905 fps"

but its not shown in the gui. you will see it right at the end of the encode. No, there is nothing that tells you how much time it took.

Ah - I could just check the time started and finishing time in the log and work out the overall duration. Pity it couldn't be automated ;)

Is there any plans to enable stitching two videos together?

NightStorm
Nov 29, 2008, 02:26 PM

Get over yourself... There are far more people using it without a problem. You want it fixed, provide some information to help identify the problems.

If you're content using isquint for your one, handbrake isn't going to be for you as the devs have put quality over speed.

Personally, Ive been more than happy with the quality and stability of .9.3.

Nov 30, 2008, 06:37 AM
Get over yourself... There are far more people using it without a problem. You want it fixed, provide some information to help identify the problems.

If you're content using isquint for your one, handbrake isn't going to be for you as the devs have put quality over speed.

Personally, Ive been more than happy with the quality and stability of .9.3.

I wasn't even talking about quality, I am talking about stability. If you are having luck, whatever. I've used HB for almost a year now without any major issues, and I have all the right to complain when someone screws up.

So don't disregard reports from more than one person about HB's dismal stability for 0.9.3. You can read them in this very thread. As for a short description of the crash, see below and chill out.

Process: HandBrake [3850]
Path: /Applications/HandBrake.app/Contents/MacOS/HandBrake
Identifier: org.m0k.handbrake
Version: 0.9.3 (2008112300)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [98]

Date/Time: 2008-11-30 13:33:33.762 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000022
Crashed Thread: Unknown

Thread 0:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902864a6 mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028dc9c mach_msg + 72
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d30ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 1790
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d3cf8 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 88
4 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9619a480 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 283
5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9619a299 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 374
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9619a10d BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 106
7 com.apple.AppKit 0x910233ed _DPSNextEvent + 657
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x91022ca0 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 128
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x9101bcdb -[NSApplication run] + 795
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x90fe8f14 NSApplicationMain + 574
11 org.m0k.handbrake 0x00002f06 start + 54

Thread 1:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902865c6 mach_wait_until + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe1e5 nanosleep + 314
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe0a5 usleep + 61
3 org.m0k.handbrake 0x00039c9a thread_func + 170
4 org.m0k.handbrake 0x0003fc8a hb_thread_func + 74
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b76f5 _pthread_start + 321
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b75b2 thread_start + 34

Thread 2:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902865c6 mach_wait_until + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe1e5 nanosleep + 314
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe0a5 usleep + 61
3 org.m0k.handbrake 0x00039c9a thread_func + 170
4 org.m0k.handbrake 0x0003fc8a hb_thread_func + 74

Thread 3:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028d68e __semwait_signal + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b836d pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003 + 73
2 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x94a44bb9 fe_fragment_thread + 54
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b76f5 _pthread_start + 321
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b75b2 thread_start + 34

Thread 4:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028d68e __semwait_signal + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028d456 usleep$UNIX2003 + 61
2 com.apple.AppKit 0x91089861 -[NSUIHeartBeat _heartBeatThread:] + 2042
3 com.apple.Foundation 0x91a4dbad -[NSThread main] + 45
4 com.apple.Foundation 0x91a4d754 __NSThread__main__ + 308

Thread 5:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902864a6 mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028dc9c mach_msg + 72
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d30ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 1790
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d3d54 CFRunLoopRun + 84
4 com.apple.DesktopServices 0x96c65e83 TSystemNotificationTask::SystemNotificationTaskProc(void*) + 123
5 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x964e8463 PrivateMPEntryPoint + 56
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b76f5 _pthread_start + 321
7 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b75b2 thread_start + 34

Jelite
Nov 30, 2008, 10:07 AM
Awesome! just about to try out the windows version, i've tried so many converters in windows and nothing works like i want it too, used to use visual hub and handbrake on my mac without any trouble so hopefully this will convert my files to mp4 for itunes and Touch (fingers crossed).

So i've got through over 60 avi conversions now and only had one that got stuck and a couple that the sound has gone out of sync, this programme is better than any other converter i've used in windows by a country mile.

:)

NightStorm
Nov 30, 2008, 03:53 PM
Bah, why bother.
:rolleyes:

richpjr
Dec 1, 2008, 01:34 AM
I wasn't even talking about quality, I am talking about stability. If you are having luck, whatever. I've used HB for almost a year now without any major issues, and I have all the right to complain when someone screws up.

If you actually paid for it, I might agree with this. But not when it's free...

fivepoint
Dec 1, 2008, 06:30 AM
I've done over 170 titles total, and around 10 with the new version. No problems so far.

Hey, BRLawyer, ever think that it might be your own problem? With your own machine? There are tens of people on here saying that theirs is working perfectly. Shouldn't take much of a logic jump to come to the conclusion there's something unique about YOUR setup which is causing the problems.

NightStorm
Dec 1, 2008, 08:16 AM
It's nice to see user's who get it. Thanks! :D

leodavinci0
Dec 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
Was able to do Wall-E, which was not possible with the previous. Although the process does take longer in comparison using the exact same presets. Using a MB it use to take about 30 min per movie, now it's more like 50 min.

dynaflash
Dec 1, 2008, 12:16 PM

Well, then all of your videos you own must be exactly the same and cause HB to crash, as of this post HB 0.9.3 is very close to a half million downloads and afaict you are one of very few to have this problem, now by your nick I will assume you are some sort of a lawyer or something so should be able to do the math ... hmmmm.
Maybe ... maybe not

Suggestion: maybe go onto the HB forums and post a real HB activity log so the dev's can see exactly what your source is doing. That Apple Crash Report is a joke and doesn't say anything. Odds are its a known bug which was to be expected on the first release that introduces universal source video format into an app that has always only read one source.

Otoh, 0.9.2 was in fact a fine release and you can always enjoy that. As far as iSquint ... it was aptly named as you have to be blind to be satisfied with the quality. Cripes, you could have at least popped the nominal fee to upgrade to its paid sibling VisualHub.

Dec 2, 2008, 04:40 PM
If you actually paid for it, I might agree with this. But not when it's free...

Of course I can complain if it doesn't work. The fact that it's free doesn't mean it's impervious to criticism. 0.9.2 worked, 0.9.3 doesn't, period.

And for those thinking that I am the only one, just check this very thread for other people with similar experiences, or google it to find countless other forums where the same problem is identified.

Finally, iSquint works fine for me, thanks very much. Oh no...in fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

So much for a perfect software; just see the various negative comments on 0.9.3:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117&mode=feedback

Kilamite
Dec 2, 2008, 04:43 PM
Of course I can complain if it doesn't work. The fact that it's free doesn't mean it's impervious to criticism. 0.9.2 worked, 0.9.3 doesn't, period.

And for those thinking that I am the only one, just check this very thread for other people with similar experiences, or google it to find countless other forums where the same problem is identified.

Finally, iSquint works fine for me, thanks very much. In fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

There's an attitude you can take for a paid application not working, and there's an attitude you can take for a free application not working. Your attitude falls in the wrong category.

I use VisualHub and have had no problems with it since updating HandBrake. I don't even think HandBrake touches iSquint/VisualHub's ffmpeg stuff.

NightStorm
Dec 2, 2008, 05:19 PM

Finally, iSquint works fine for me, thanks very much. Oh no...in fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

So much for a perfect software; just see the various negative comments on 0.9.3:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117&mode=feedback
Let's organize a class action lawsuit! How dare they upset/inconvenience a very small part of their userbase! We'll take them for all their worth! :rolleyes:

Handbrake doesn't touch any other installation of ffmpeg on your machine. Trust me, I've got the ffmpeg source and binary, along with a copy of VisualHub, installed on my hard drive and they all work perfectly fine... just like HandBrake .9.3.

I'm still waiting to see an activity log...

dynaflash
Dec 2, 2008, 09:47 PM
Oh no...in fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

Hahaha, you have to be kidding. HB uses its own ffmpeg lib inside the package. As NightStorm pointed out, its technically impossible for HB to affect iSquint. You do realize its an applescript gui to ffmpeg, right ?

Dec 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hahaha, you have to be kidding. HB uses its own ffmpeg lib inside the package. As NightStorm pointed out, its technically impossible for HB to affect iSquint. You do realize its an applescript gui to ffmpeg, right ?

First of all, I don't care if the app is free; if it was working before and not working now, I can complain as any other user out there. What to do afterwards? Either stop using it or switch to another app...I don't feel like proselytizing anyone, and there is no need to sue anyone or start a class action.

In fact, posters in other threads (including HB's) identified a problem with the dropdown menus that relate to codecs, so this might have something to do with the issue; but I am not really sure about it, so let's leave it out for now.

At least in those same threads I found one workaround for people who are having problems (which are many, not just me):

In the UNIVERSAL or APPLETV presets, DESELECT the second audio channel in the audio pane...this way I was able to convert a video file to my AppleTV. Hope this helps.

NightStorm
Dec 3, 2008, 02:54 PM
In fact, posters in other threads (including HB's) identified a problem with the dropdown menus that relate to codecs, so this might have something to do with the issue; but I am not really sure about it, so let's leave it out for now.

At least in those same threads I found one workaround for people who are having problems (which are many, not just me):

In the UNIVERSAL or APPLETV presets, DESELECT the second audio channel in the audio pane...this way I was able to convert a video file to my AppleTV. Hope this helps.

Yes, and this would have been the recommendation here... if you would have ever produced an activity log so we could see what you were doing.

NightStorm
Dec 3, 2008, 03:12 PM

Yes, and this would have been our recommendation here... if you would have ever produced an activity log so we could see what you were doing. Regardless, I'm glad you were able to find a solution to your problem, and I believe work is (or has) been done to correct this in HB.

Changepoint
Dec 15, 2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks BRLawyer, your tip stopped the crashing I was experiencing with avi conversions. Incidentally, do you or anyone else know why handbrake doubles the file size when encoding .avi files to m4v? VisualHub is even worse.

Kilamite
Dec 16, 2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks BRLawyer, your tip stopped the crashing I was experiencing with avi conversions. Incidentally, do you or anyone else know why handbrake doubles the file size when encoding .avi files to m4v? VisualHub is even worse.

Do you know why my car is loud?

Come on, how vague a description is that. You didn't mention what preset you were using and what settings.

Cromulent
Dec 16, 2008, 08:00 AM

Yes. Because your settings are wrong.

Changepoint
Dec 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
Do you know why my car is loud?

Come on, how vague a description is that. You didn't mention what preset you were using and what settings.

I'm just using the new apple tv preset, which greys out the two pass option (maybe that's the reason it's making them so big).

have you checked the exhaust?

Changepoint
Dec 23, 2008, 09:49 PM
Yes. Because your settings are wrong.

do you convert avi to mk4 much? if so, what settings would you recommend I use?

LittleApple08
Dec 23, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm still on the 0.9.1 Verson LOL. Partly because I haven;t updated