PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to charge iPhone 4 every night?

hoogen
Jul 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
like the title states, is it ok to charge the iphone 4 every night? sinse i have gotten it i have waited untill it has gotten to around 20% (30ish hours) before i charge it. my battery life has been pretty consistant and long lasting, but by the time my phones battery gets low (the second day), its the middle of the day and i am not always around a computer or a wall socket and so on. i just want some input on what yall do and if charging it every night has effected how long your battery holds a charge.

P.S. if this has already been talked about i apologize, i did a search and didnt come up with anything helpful. thank you

boshii
Jul 19, 2010, 12:53 PM
yes

bobr1952
Jul 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have the cord right next to my bed so it is the last thing I do before I turn off the light. (not specific to iPhone 4)

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 19, 2010, 12:55 PM
Treat it like a car. Don't wait until you have a couple gallons left to fill it up. Just fill it whenever you feel like it. Gas is a metaphor for gas in this scenario.

JulesK
Jul 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
I believe that the Apple literature says that the battery retains 80% of its capacity after 400 charges, so depending on how long you plan on keeping the phone, charging it every day may decrease the battery's lifespan more quickly than if you charge it only when the battery runs down to a certain percentage. That said, life is short, and the last thing I want to be worrying about is the charge of my phone, so I say just charge it every night. Not sure if Apple still has a battery replacement program for the iPhone (or if it ever did; I thought that they had something for the iPod), but you could always resort to that if your battery dies, or buy Applecare.

ThatsMeRight
Jul 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
It's ok to charge your iPhone 4 every night. It has no weird effect like it did on the 'old days' :P

tjwaggoner
Jul 19, 2010, 12:57 PM
Apple's support pages say to completely charge and drain the battery at least once a month. Im bad about having mine plugged in a lot. While at work, driving (my car charger has an FM transmitter that I use for music) and on an klipsh speaker dock at home (actually my wife's but I snag it sometimes). Trying to make an effort with the new phone to drain it completely every now and then, even though my old 3g phone still had great battery life and I never made a conscious effort to do anything particular with regards to charging it.

boshii
Jul 19, 2010, 12:57 PM
the battery is the last thing you need to worry about with this phone

hoogen
Jul 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys. i know that batterys have gotten a lot better about this problem, but i guess i am still a little sceptical about it.

jp700p
Jul 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
I believe that the Apple literature says that the battery retains 80% of its capacity after 400 charges, so depending on how long you plan on keeping the phone, charging it every day may decrease the battery's lifespan more quickly than if you charge it only when the battery runs down to a certain percentage. That said, life is short, and the last thing I want to be worrying about is the charge of my phone, so I say just charge it every night. Not sure if Apple still has a battery replacement program for the iPhone (or if it ever did; I thought that they had something for the iPod), but you could always resort to that if your battery dies, or buy Applecare.

Thats 400 deep 100% charges. If you keep charging your battery little by little, that doesn't count towards the 100%.

F123D
Jul 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
I usually try and work my battery down to 20% or down to 0 sometimes also but noticed it takes FOREVER as well.. :) but it's not a problem at all to charge every night.

boshii
Jul 19, 2010, 01:03 PM
Apple's support pages say to completely charge and drain the battery at least once a month. Im bad about having mine plugged in a lot. While at work, driving (my car charger has an FM transmitter that I use for music) and on an klipsh speaker dock at home (actually my wife's but I snag it sometimes). Trying to make an effort with the new phone to drain it completely every now and then, even though my old 3g phone still had great battery life and I never made a conscious effort to do anything particular with regards to charging it.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

read up.

scaredpoet
Jul 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thats 400 deep 100% charges. If you keep charging your battery little by little, that doesn't count towards the 100%.

Actually, it does. The effect is cumulative.

Run the down the battery completely and then charge it all the way back up: 1 charge cycle.

Run the battery down to 50%, then charge it fully, then 50% and charge it again: 1 cycle.

Run the battery down to 80% and charge it back up, 5 times: 1 cycle.

This is also how other Apple products, like the MacBook line, treats charging (and you can actually retrieve that count from a MacBook/Pro).

You are still going to want to go through a full deep cycle once a month though.

Julien
Jul 19, 2010, 01:18 PM
Here (http://www.batteryuniversity.com/) you can find the most comprehensive battery info available. Everything you could ever need to know plus much more is there just for the reading.

Also the answer to the OP question is yes as long as he/she calibrates it every month or two.

NikeTalk
Jul 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
So let it die then charge it once a month?

karansaraf
Jul 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
Li-Ion batteries don't have a "memory effect". They also work best and retain the most of their battery life over time if you always keep them as charged up as possible. This means to not waste the battery down every time. The reason you should discharge and charge completely once a month/every 45 days or so is because the battery display indicator becomes less accurate over time and a complete discharge and charge resets this properly.

Battery University have a very good article about Li-Ion batteries and how you should treat them for the charge to remain for the longest period of time. The article should be easily found through Google, it's been around for years.

ntrigue
Jul 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
Keep it above 20% and don't charge until it dips below 80%. Improve the accuracy of the percentage by depleting and fully charging once a month.

Compile 'em all
Jul 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
I usually try and work my battery down to 20% or down to 0 sometimes also but noticed it takes FOREVER as well.. :) but it's not a problem at all to charge every night.

Never drain it down to 0. It is bad for the battery. There is a reason why the battery warning is at 20%.

You should do a deep discharge/charge cycle only to calibrate the battery every couple of months.

pintnight
Jul 19, 2010, 02:21 PM
yesand yes

Julien
Jul 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
Never drain it down to 0... : ...do a deep discharge/charge cycle only to calibrate the battery every couple of months.

Oxymoron :D

elistan
Jul 19, 2010, 02:30 PM
I've been charging my first-gen iPhone nearly every night for over three years now, over 1000 days, and it still has a like-new capacity.

ToroidalZeus
Jul 19, 2010, 02:31 PM
Li-Ion batteries don't have a "memory effect". They also work best and retain the most of their battery life over time if you always keep them as charged up as possible. This means to not waste the battery down every time. The reason you should discharge and charge completely once a month/every 45 days or so is because the battery display indicator becomes less accurate over time and a complete discharge and charge resets this properly.

Battery University have a very good article about Li-Ion batteries and how you should treat them for the charge to remain for the longest period of time. The article should be easily found through Google, it's been around for years.
THIS.

Littleman
Jul 19, 2010, 03:02 PM
I've been charging my first-gen iPhone nearly every night for over three years now, over 1000 days, and it still has a like-new capacity.

Of about 28 minutes. :D

dave420
Jul 19, 2010, 03:06 PM
I wish this were the case for mine. My first-gen iPhone dies in less than two days even when it is not used at all and is in airplane mode.

bowlerman625
Jul 19, 2010, 03:43 PM
Yes

I have with all my iPhones since the first one.

No problems.

WardC
Jul 19, 2010, 03:46 PM
I run my battery past 50% down, then charge. Once a month, run the batter completely out, then charge. If you charge on 80% or 90% you will be fine, but I don't do this (or recommend) charging every night unless you are out 50% every night. Usually I can run my iPhone for 3-4 days on one charge.

macfan881
Jul 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
the battery is the last thing you need to worry about with this phone

the last thing you need to worry bout is trolling in this thread;)

tjwaggoner
Jul 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.apple.com/batteries/

read up.

Meaning what? I have read it, that is where I got the idea that apple wants you to fully charge and discharge it at least once a month.

xraytech
Jul 19, 2010, 04:26 PM
Really?!?

Another battery thread?!?

Just charge the damn thing.

M-5
Jul 19, 2010, 05:41 PM
My 3G iPhone, which I had for around 1.5 yrs, had really bad battery performance after around the first year mark.

CSpackler
Jul 19, 2010, 05:54 PM
Lithium ion batteries like to be topped off, so it's better to charge every night rather than using it until fully discharged. If you're not going to use the phone for a long time, it's also best to store them at partial charge (40-50%) in a cool environment.

Of course this is entirely theoretical, in real life it probably doesn't matter. My old 2G gets relatively decent battery life (2-3 hrs) but I took pretty good care of it.

maximus96
Jul 19, 2010, 05:58 PM
the ip4 battery is easy to swap DIY style. and by the time you need to replace it, the you'll probably want to replace it with the iphone 6...