Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Go2Mac.com has a pretty exciting posting of rumours surrounding the release of new G4 towers (in new "metallic" enclosures) and of "Tessera," the new iMac. Quotes from article (thru several updates):

"...the new PowerMac G4s will ship in 733 MHz, 850 MHz and dual 850 MHz configurations."
"The new G4s have 166 Mhz CPU bus asynchronous with 133Mhz DDR memory bus. They are not 733 and 850, but rather 750 and 833 MHz."

Interesting stuff. If true, it would seem the dual 850 will take the ~$2,999 high-end position, the 850 will sit at $2,499, and the 733 will fall at $2,199. Question is, what will be sitting at $1,699? The mystery unfolds...

wlrayburn

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2001
Tessera or Tesseract?

Hm. I wonder if Tessera is short for "tesseract" - a four-dimensional equivalent of a cube. Could Cube technology be working it's way into the new iMacs?
And "tesseract" has been used in science fiction as a means of travel or as a place that is far larger on the inside than it appears on the outside (i.e. the Dr's Tardis in "Dr Who").

C

Cilty

Price points too high IMHO

The $3000, $2500, $2200 price points seem too high to me--unless Apple can't get enough processors. This would be the same mistake they made when they originally priced the Cube. Also, if they have cancelled the Cube, they need a low-priced G4 machine around $1500.

So I hope they have the dual at about $2600, its single at $2200, and their slowest G4 single at $1600. If they don't, Intel boxes approaching 2 GHz are going to look much better than Macs to many reasonable people.

But if they are including the Super-Drive, then maybe they can achieve the price points you posit.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Price Points...

Well...if the rumor is basically true, and the high-end is a dual 833 G4, then it will sit at the $2,999 pricepoint, unless for the first time in years Apple is going to omit a $2,999 pricepoint machine. That seems unlikely to me. (Yes, they could make the dual 866 + SuperDrive the $2,999 unit, but right now the SuperDrive added to the high-end Mac is at a ~$3,400 pricepoint.) They could put the single or dual 533 at $1,699. We'll have to see.

As for them doing what you suggest or 2GHz PC's are going to start looking awfully good to the consumer--you're a bit late on that one. I'd say the 1.5GHz P4, which has been around a good little while), look alot better to Joe Consumer than a 733MHz G4. Especially when it can be had for 1/2 the price of the G4!

blakespot

(I have sold my B&W G3 400 and want a new, high-end Mac. But I've got to say--I can build an Athlon 1.4GHz machine that will outpace anything but the dual high-end Mac coming, and do it for less than 1/2 the price. That's a significant thing to consider. Yes, I'm Mac-loyal... But my wife is not. See the issue against my lobbying for another Mac? Excellent.)

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Or it could mean:

Posted on As the Apple Turns:

On the iMac front, Go2Mac claims that one of the new product's code names is "Tessera," which, according to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, is "a small tablet (as of wood, bone, or ivory) used by the ancient Romans as a ticket, tally, voucher, or means of identification."

Do you think that could mean that silly looking removavble screen thingy that was here a while ago?

Simon

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
simon-your a psycho, but i agree with the possibility of the removeable screen "thingy", but they definately wouldn't put that with the imacs, the price would be too high.

i always crab about price, but it's the truth

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
simon-your a psycho, but i agree with the possibility of the removeable screen "thingy", but they definately wouldn't put that with the imacs, the price would be too high.

I agree that I am insane. Personally I think that a removable tablet screen at MWNY 2001 is about as likely as an anouncement that Apple is buying Microsoft.

I just thought I would bring in an alternate interpretation of 'Tessera.'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
I think it's clear at least that the iMac will go LCD at this point. Which is good. Especially given the low quality of the iMac's screen (in my opinion--tho many seem to disagree... Anyone?)

blakespot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.