PDA

View Full Version : Skype Backgrounding Fails?

whyrichard
Aug 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hey,

I need to keep my skype app running in the background ALL the time... however it seems to intermittently disconnect (running ios4 of course)...

is it a bug in ios4 or skype's app that is seems to require re-logging on every once in a while, even though double clicking to see all the background running apps shows that skype is there? ... or is there some way to keep skype running in the background AND constantly logged on?

thanks,

r.

celticpride678
Aug 23, 2010, 09:35 PM
Are you jailbroken?

whyrichard
Aug 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
... why yes....

celticpride678
Aug 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
... why yes....

There have been issues with Skype running in the background when you're jailbroken. Make sure everything that you've installed via Cydia is up-to-date.

whyrichard
Aug 23, 2010, 11:45 PM
updated... so far so good! thank you.

r.

Carlanga
Aug 24, 2010, 12:59 AM
It was happening with me too and I think the problem was too many Mobilesubstrate addons where running plus leaving webpages open in safari (or looking through various pages at the same time) will dramatically decrease the ram, especially if you are on a 3GS and I believe once it reaches close to capacity it will turn off apps that were on to conserve ram. I did update some of my MS addons also but I believe mostly the disconnections are either by ram decrease or (conspiracy theory) an overload in skype servers and if it doesn't hear from you for a while you might be bumped out maybe since it is a P2P type of software and they don't want to make too many people supernodes for now... :rolleyes:

whyrichard
Aug 24, 2010, 02:59 PM
It was happening with me too and I think the problem was too many Mobilesubstrate addons where running plus leaving webpages open in safari (or looking through various pages at the same time) will dramatically decrease the ram, especially if you are on a 3GS and I believe once it reaches close to capacity it will turn off apps that were on to conserve ram. I did update some of my MS addons also but I believe mostly the disconnections are either by ram decrease or (conspiracy theory) an overload in skype servers and if it doesn't hear from you for a while you might be bumped out maybe since it is a P2P type of software and they don't want to make too many people supernodes for now... :rolleyes:

don't thin it is a ram problem... not too many programs running...

...and it seems to have happened to me again, after i've updated everything.

thanks,
r.

Carlanga
Aug 25, 2010, 09:18 PM
umm I see.... maybe another voip app on your phone is messing up the backgrounding voip of skype?

Also, everytime you respring or turn on/off the phone completely you have to open skype for it to sign on again even though is open in the taskbar, so maybe if you lose the 3g signal completely maybe you have to open the app to sign in after the phone gets the signal again, like for example when in an elevator or no signal area's (I don't know if that happens?)? Do you have the package from cydia "remove recent", I don't know if that app in particular messes it up but there was something I didn't like about it and removed it. Also, make sure you are on the latest build of mobile substrate!