Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
Creative Labs makes the SoundBlaster Extigy.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/extigy/

It's not "exactly" Mac compatible (meaning there are no Mac drivers as far as I know) but it does work. It connects via USB to a Windows machine (not that you'd need that), but it also has optical in and out, and coax in. It has the analog outputs for a 5.1 speaker system. I'm using one because I've got multiple computers that support 5.1 audio. My only other option (yours, too) would be to buy a surround sound receiver, and that wouldn't work as well with my speakers. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
im looking for a PCI Slot 5.1 optical card, but i'll still look into that, thanks for you help. any more help is still greatly appreciated though ;)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
JeDiBoYTJ said:
I only see Coaxial, I need Optical 5.1

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't coax used for cable TV and internet? I see none of those jacks on the M-Audio PCI sound cards, only RCA and 1/8".

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
Hemingray said:
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't coax used for cable TV and internet? I see none of those jacks on the M-Audio PCI sound cards, only RCA and 1/8".

The M-Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI sound card has a coax surround sound connection, that's the RCA jack. It's digital, so they must be multiplexing it somehow. It's not the coax you're thinking of.

Regards,
Marc

bigdz68

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2004
Bay YAYrea
mslifkin said:
Creative Labs makes the SoundBlaster Extigy.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/extigy/

It's not "exactly" Mac compatible (meaning there are no Mac drivers as far as I know) but it does work. It connects via USB to a Windows machine (not that you'd need that), but it also has optical in and out, and coax in. It has the analog outputs for a 5.1 speaker system. I'm using one because I've got multiple computers that support 5.1 audio. My only other option (yours, too) would be to buy a surround sound receiver, and that wouldn't work as well with my speakers. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc

WOW! Are u using the extigy on ur Mac? Im curious to hear how it works? I have one sitting right next to me but havent used it since I got the Mac...guess I should try pluggin it in! I just keep it around to collect dust and the occasional use of a Windows XP laptop which is about once in a blue moon!
I also was curious about buying an M-Audio setup and if its necessary on the PowerMac G5. I already run optical out to a Klipsch DD-5.1 Digital Decoder and thru Klipsch Ultra 5.1s with two extra subs!

I had tried out the Logitech Z-680s since they have a built in digital decoder but the bass sounded like crap. Way too boomy and the speaker controller was just too big. I would love to hear how the extigy works with Mac since I checked for some kind of files to run the EAX technology but that was a waste of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.