Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
I've got an iBook G4 1.2Ghz, and it's been running 10.3.6 fine. I decided I wanted to install Mandrakelinux on it, along with separate partitions for Jaguar and Panther versions of Mac OS X.

I connected the iBook to my Power Mac G5 via Firewire target disk mode, and used the pdisk Unix command-line utility to format the drive's partitions.

After hours of work and getting myself extra confused, I figured it all out, and now have Linux running on the iBook. During this process I was also doing many Open Firmware commands, some which I was entering without any idea of what they meant.

Now I want to install 10.3 on a partition, but when I boot up from the install cd, I get the prohibitory sign, as seen here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106805

Anybody have any idea what may have gone wrong? Did I screw up the firmware? If so, is there a way to reset it? I've reset the NVRAM/PRAM. When booting from the hard disk, I get blinking question mark, which is obvious since I have no Mac OS installed. Yet Linux works perfectly fine (I imagine because there's some OS X specific stuff that's gone?).

Thanks.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Sounds like you hosed your FirmWare. Not smart to play with that. I don't know how to reset it offhand...

[Do both these things after you turn on the iBook and before you hear the startup chime]

Try zapping the PRAM, Command+Option+P+R
OR
Try holding C when attempting to start up off the OS X install disk.

You can't do both on the same startup attempt...

EDIT: The newer computers that are sold with Panther pre-installed are supposed to be Panther and up only. That may/may not be true, but unless you are developing software you don't need to do that. Just wondering...WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING? :confused: :confused:

Nothing personal, just really confused...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Thanks for the reply.

Like I mentioned, I've already reset the PRAM and have tried numerous times to boot up from the cd, without success.

Not sure what to do from here...I don't think it's a hard drive issue since I can get Linux running fine. Oh well I'lll keep searching :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I had the same problem as you had awhile back. The problem was that yaboot changed the name on the bootstrap partition.
Use pdisk and see if there is a partition called "Apple_bootstrap", if thats the case, change the name on the partition to "Apple_partition_map"

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
In all the PPC Linux installs I've seen I've never seen anyone mention messing around with OpenFirmware. In fact if they did I wouldn't do it - you can really, really screw your machine up that way.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
suddenly i'm remembered about the article in a PC magazine about hot swpapping BIOS chips...

messing with the bios is always a dangerous game.... i hope a solutions turns out for you...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Yes I reset it via OF.

Is there any way to reset the firmware? The first time I installed Linux, it said that I had to enter this command because the bootloader wasn't correctly installed:

setenv boot-device /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2,\\:tbxi

Did that screw it up?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
I am able to enter "printenv" and get a list of all the OF variable and their contents. Anybody know any variables that should be "this" and not "that" ?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
kainjow said:
Yes I reset it via OF.

Is there any way to reset the firmware? The first time I installed Linux, it said that I had to enter this command because the bootloader wasn't correctly installed:

setenv boot-device /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2,\\:tbxi

Did that screw it up?

hm i have no idea of Open Firmware but it looks very much that that _might_ be the error source ...

have you tried the link psoted by pncc where they have some firmware command "reset-all" (or something like that) that sounds a lot like resetting to default... but i'm only guessing

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Well guess what?

The problem is NOTHING to do with my computer, but the OS X cd I was using. I guess the newer iBook G4's only boot a certain OS version, and using the iBook's system cd's (Mac OS 10.3.5), it boots perfectly fine into the OS!!! What a simple fix for what appeared to be a huge problem!! Thanks all for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.