PDA

View Full Version : Restore/backup issue - is this possible?

jennyap
Aug 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
I've searched and can't find anything pertinent to my question, so I'm hoping someone knows.

Background - I have a 2G 32gb Touch, which I was syncing exclusively to a Windows laptop. Fairly early on I migrated the media files to an external hard drive. This had worked fine for over a year. Then a few weeks ago the laptop bluescreened.

I thought it wasn't a problem - was just going to start using iTunes on my desktop, transferring purchases without syncing on the first use, and backing up again thereafter.

But before I could even do that, my iPod died too (that was a bad week). I thought for a while it had bricked, after a couple of days trying different things I finally managed to get it into DFU mode to restore. Of course with no backup on the PC to restore from, I had to set it up again as new. Again, not a huge problem as my media library was still intact, but obviously I didn't have all the app data, notes etc, some of which I would really like to recover.

Also, having got somewhat lax about backups of the laptop (all photos/music etc being stored elsewhere and separately backed up) I didn't have a copy of the original iPod backup. That was solved via some relatively painless data recovery of the laptop, but it took time. Meanwhile, I was continuing to use the Touch, and syncing to/backing up on the PC regularly.

So the question, finally. Now I have retrieved the backup file from the laptop, is it possible to get the iTunes on my PC to recognise it somehow, so that I can restore from it to retrieve my app data etc?

Is it as simple as moving it into the relevant folder before starting up iTunes, or do I need to replace the existing backup file on the PC?

Sorry for the long post (hopefully to preempt some of the inevitable questions) but any guidance much appreciated!

Thanks

tadad1
Aug 24, 2010, 08:01 AM
I have used an old backup before, just copied\pasted it into the backup folder started iTunes and it showed up in the Restore from backup window and worked without any problems. The only difference for me was that although it was an older backup it was from the same computer and aside from the date tag the long hexadecimal folder name was the same.