Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illuminator123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Hey all can anyone provide me with insight as to how I can setup a network for a restaurant app that im working on so that I can log on as an administrator and for all people that have already purchased the app provide updates for new restaurants that have opened up, update the app when a restaurant shuts down or relocates and specials of the day at particular locations (and more things that may require up to date information)?

bump!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Put a file on a web server. Download that to the apps document area (NSURLConnection). Parse the file and merge with your data model (up to you).

Illuminator123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
So in plain english that means what exactly? I'm a tech noob bud.....and believe me I have tried to do my research but can't get my head around or find a decent source to help me understand this concept.

Pleaseeeee provide detail please and links if possible, thank you

woodman

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Brooklyn
There is too much involved to learn from a post on a forum.

First, you need to set up the server-side application that contains the information you want to send to the app. The most basic would be a text file you manually update. More complex would be setting up a database to track the data and users.

Then, you need to build an app that accesses this server. There is no quick answer here, unless you app has a simple WebView that loads the page on the server. If you want to manipulate and present the data in different ways, you'll need to use NSURLConnection and do some network programming.

I suggest the iPhone Developer's Cookbook. Or, read Apple's NSURLConnection documentation. Or at least google NSURLConnection and see code snippets that people post. If you are a total tech noob, this could take a while to put together (with proper error handling and whatnot).

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.