PDA

View Full Version : Device ID not accepted by Development Profile Assistant

neilrcooper
Aug 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
When I copy and paste the 40 character iPhone 4 ID obtained using Xcode organizer into the box an click "continue" it is not accepted. Any ideas anyone?

robbieduncan
Aug 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
Does it give you any indication of what's wrong in the error? Could you post the error message?

neilrcooper
Aug 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks! faith restored! No there is no error message just the "continue" button does not respond and the 40 digit code is underlined in red. I guess this red dotted line maybe picked up as a spelling error (I am new to MAC and just getting familiar with it) or it does not like the ID. Not sure which.

robbieduncan
Aug 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
Random question: have you put in a device name? You need both (the name can be anything you like)...

neilrcooper
Aug 24, 2010, 05:52 PM
Yes I put the phone name in as"Neils iPhone". No apostrophe as the " ' " was not accepted. A thought (hopefully wrong) that I have is if the phone has to be unbranded to be used. Mine is on Orange. Maybe branded phones are blocked. Any idea?

robbieduncan
Aug 24, 2010, 05:54 PM
Branding makes no difference: the all run the same firmware. I suspect you have tried the obvious: you have no leading and trailing spaces on the ID? Other than that what browser are you running?

neilrcooper
Aug 24, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for good news on branding. I bought my first iMac last Sunday (hence the lack of knowledge so far) it is running Mac OS X V 10.6.4 and is an iMac 11,2. Browser is V 5.0.1. No leading or trailing spaces, I re-typed it several times in case of any keyboard problems. I also cut and pasted the ID code a few times.

robbieduncan
Aug 25, 2010, 04:00 AM
Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. I can only suggest it's time to contact developer support at Apple...

neilrcooper
Aug 25, 2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your help. Do you have a link for developer support. I had a glance and could only see the pay one.

robbieduncan
Aug 25, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for your help. Do you have a link for developer support. I had a glance and could only see the pay one.

I assume you have paid your $99 to join the paid-up program. Otherwise you don't see the portal (I don't think, it's been a couple of years!).

The form for contacting support is here (https://developer.apple.com/contact/).

neilrcooper
Aug 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yes I paid to join. I am working to Sam's Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development which recommends doing this at the start. I have a lot to learn but hopefully will get the hang of it.
Many thanks again for your help.

neilrcooper
Aug 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
The tutorial that I am using gave an example name of "Johns iPhone" which format I copied. I have now discovered that you cannot use the space character. I put in "Neils_iPhone" and it worked. Strange though as the book has screen shots of all the stages which must have worked at the time.
Thanks again for your help.