Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I just received a refurb 32GB touch from Apple yesterday. When I peeled off the screen shield/protector, I noticed it left a lot of glue around the edges, like the adhesive detached from the plastic screen protector. Some gentle wiping with a microfiber cloth got the glue off, but there is still a film/outline over the screen from it. It's slight, but I can see it. I also got a refurb 8GB yesterday for my wife. that screen protector peeled off nice and easy with no residue, and I could have sworn her screen looked a little sharper and brighter.

What would you guys do? Is there a good way to clean it? Little water and that microfiber cloth, or should I just take this to the Apple Store and try to get them to swap it?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Had that problem once, alcohol based glass cleaner worked fine.

Can you suggest a brand? Or does Windex and that sort of stuff have an alcohol based product?

Would using alcohol with a micro-fiber cloth be ok, or is straight alcohol (the normal blend you get in drugstores) too harsh?

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Can you suggest a brand? Or does Windex and that sort of stuff have an alcohol based product?

Would using alcohol with a micro-fiber cloth be ok, or is straight alcohol (the normal blend you get in drugstores) too harsh?

The manual says not to use "window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone"...

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf (page 52)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.