Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maehara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Curious and rather major glitch that has cropped up on my iPhone 3G in the past week or so that I'm hoping someone may have a few pointers for: It won't maintain a connection to my wifi network. If I go into the wifi settings, my network shows up on the list of available networks and you can see the status switching every few seconds between connected and not connected. Never stays connected for long enough for the wifi connection to be useful.

Have tried:
- rebooting the router (it's a Netgear N box - a year or so old, have had no problems connecting the iPhone to it up to now & no problems with other devices using it)
- rebooting the iPhone
- forgetting the network in iPhone settings and reconnecting
...with no joy. I'm stuck at home with a broken leg at the moment and can't get out to check it with another network, unfortunately. Only get a GPRS data connection at home, which rather limits the phone's usefulness!

Anyone else come across a similar problem?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Does the check mark show on the wifi network you pick? What iOS is your iPhone running? Have you tried restoring your iPhone from a backup? Is your network password protected and did you set it up on your iPhone from scratch?

I had a similar issue like this with my 1st Gen iPod Touch a few years ago. I think I had to reset the device, do a sync, backup and re-setup my home Wifi settings on it, before it finally worked.

maehara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Does the check mark show on the wifi network you pick? What iOS is your iPhone running? Have you tried restoring your iPhone from a backup? Is your network password protected and did you set it up on your iPhone from scratch?
- Yes, briefly during the few seconds it connects before it drops
- running 4.0.2
- haven't restored yet, always see that as a last resort but it's on my list to do
-yes, it's password protected. Set up again after getting the iPhone to forget the network, but that didn't make any difference.

Will give the restore a go and see what happens...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.