Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

street89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I'm wanting to stream my iTunes music to my hi fi via AirTunes express. The problem is my AirTunes express isn't detected in AirTunes utility over wifi. It works fine over ethernet and vie configured it to join existing wireless networks. I have a bt home hub which im thinking is the problem. Anyone know what i should try? Thanks

jeffspc88mx

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
If by "bt" you mean "bluetooth", that's not the problem. You must configure the Airport Express (AX) to create a network, not join one, then you configure your computer to join that network, then you can link iTunes to the AX.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
If by "bt" you mean "bluetooth", that's not the problem. You must configure the Airport Express (AX) to create a network, not join one, then you configure your computer to join that network, then you can link iTunes to the AX.

whole lot of wrong there

bt = british telecom. home hub is their router/modem/voip device

you do want the express to join your existing network, not create a new one.

--------------

I have this setup in my house (although not the home hub as i live in the states), have an old express in the kitchen for speakers that joins my wireless network (not coming from an apple router)

to easily troubleshoot it,
*plug the express into a computer directly via ethernet, and turn of the wireless on that computer. (you can move the express to a different part of the house to set it up if needed.)
*run airport utility and set the express up to join the network.
once you get it set up, reboot the express, and make sure it connects, you should be able to see if it does on the main status window in airport utility and if it doesn't there should be an error message of some sort.

from there, unplug the ethernet, and re-enable wireless on your laptop, quit and restart airport utility, and hopefully the express should show back up.

you can then move the express to the stereo and hook up the audio connection.

also, if itunes doesn't see the express, try restarting itunes, sometimes that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.