PDA

View Full Version : Why All this Hype for the "iTV"?

klamse25
Aug 25, 2010, 06:41 PM
I honestly don't see what's so revolutionary about it.
What features could they possibly add that make it so much better than the old Apple TV?

Aug 25, 2010, 06:43 PM
FWIW, wrong forum. Ask the mods to move it here (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100).

intervenient
Aug 25, 2010, 06:49 PM
Price point. At $99 it's an easy impulsive buy.

spblat
Aug 25, 2010, 06:53 PM
Price point is it. For $99 I'll move the Mac Mini (running Plex) out of the home theater and back to my desk.

QuarterSwede
Aug 25, 2010, 06:54 PM
Price point AND Apps. Who needs a Roku box then?

xtend
Aug 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
I was told it "changes everything". And that is quite a lot.

ynotm
Aug 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
Price point AND Apps. Who needs a Roku box then?

Got to say i'm intrigued by both of these. Hulu finally on my HDTV? Might make the $10 you have to pay for non-web access worth it.

QuarterSwede
Aug 25, 2010, 07:11 PM
Got to say i'm intrigued by both of these.
I am too now that I've been using Netflix's Watch Instantly. It could definitely replace DirecTV for me in the future if cable companies would embrace it.

the gman
Aug 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
it will never be called "iTV" because thats my local station here in the uk, its been going since 1955 www.itv.com

daver11
Aug 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
Apps and games. Could it compete with Wii, XBox, PS3? Probably not.

spblat
Aug 25, 2010, 08:15 PM
it will never be called "iTV" because thats my local station here in the uk, its been going since 1955 www.itv.com

There have been stories about that. IIRC, ITV made Apple use the "Apple TV" name way back when and is hopping mad about rumors of a name change in 2010.

steste
Aug 26, 2010, 08:00 AM

like that matters. Cisco have been using IOS for years.

adztaylor
Aug 26, 2010, 08:02 AM

Completely different, it won't be called iTV.

Uabcar
Aug 26, 2010, 08:16 AM
I'd bet regardless of it's real name, if it's running af lavor of iOS, it will almost certainly be refered to as iTV by many - just as many/most refer to the iPod Touch as 'iTouch'

Meyvn
Aug 26, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'd bet regardless of it's real name, if it's running af lavor of iOS, it will almost certainly be refered to as iTV by many - just as many/most refer to the iPod Touch as 'iTouch'

Even though "iTouch" sounds stupid.

Anyway, I think the big deal with the changes is what everyone has been saying: the apps. You'll have at the very least Netflix and Hulu at your fingertips for your trouble. That already makes it a better purchase than a Roku box. But then to top that off, it'll be a host of other things, not the least of which is a gaming console. The Wii moved a ton of units by virtue of a lower price point + more casual appeal. Who's to say this won't sell even more, considering the starting price?

And c'mon, the previous AppleTV was completely underwhelming, never did anything particularly unique or interesting.

OllyW
Aug 26, 2010, 08:33 AM

It's a TV box. ITV is a TV company.

If Apple re-branded AirPort as Cisco they obviously wouldn't get away with it.

grantsdale
Aug 26, 2010, 08:37 AM
Completely different, it won't be called iTV.

It will be called, officially, the Apple iTV.
Unofficially (like around here) it will be the iTV

rdowns
Aug 26, 2010, 08:41 AM
Well, no one knows what it will be but the interest, IMO, is that many would love to dump their cable TV monthly bill. We're hoping a new iTV will makes this more of a reality.

onetoescape
Aug 26, 2010, 09:11 AM
The reason I am so interested in it is so I can put it in the kids bedrooms as DVDS don't last to long with my kids. The price point is very good and very tempting. If it comes in around that price point with the ability to have multiple boxes around the house I am in and will be in a big way.

HobeSoundDarryl
Aug 26, 2010, 10:01 AM
The reason I'm interested is that we may finally be getting some updated hardware in what could be a terrific device (greater than the current version).

I'm so hoping that Apple will use 1080p hardware. If so, that would be enough for me.

The rumors imply that it will be at least a bit more open than :apple:TV because it will have the option of third party apps. A lot can be done by third parties, which were sorely missed- other than a few hacks- on the current :apple:TV.

If Apple has chosen to open up the software side, maybe- just maybe- they'll leave a little room for hardware add-on options too, perhaps through a normal USB port or two. If so, that means companies like Elgato could bring some functionality through a USB attachment plus app that are desired by some people.

Some argue there's no way Apple would open it up that way, but all the other iDevices have add-on hardware options that can work with third party software apps... so why not this thing too?

Thus, my hopes favor those three things: 1080p (whether there's any 1080p content in iTunes or not, whether your broadband pipe is big enough or not, whether you think "720p is good enough" or not, etc), apps, and normal USB port or two. I'd pay more than $99 for that one- even a lot more- as I know the third parties would fill in any desirable gaps selectively left out by Apple.

Steve Jobs=God
Aug 26, 2010, 10:42 AM
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

Personally i think App's on a TV device is the most stupid idea ever

dynaflash
Aug 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
Seems to me its pretty likely that the hardware would support 1080p, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were at least initially limited in software. Much like 720p + AC3 Dolby Digital instamagically became possible with ATV Take 2 which was only a software update with the same hardware.

graystone
Aug 26, 2010, 11:36 AM
"I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

Personally i think App's on a TV device is the most stupid idea ever"

"Most stupid idea ever?" Wow, what a breathtaking lack of imagination. Apps means things like Netflix, Hulu, Boxee, CBS, MLB, and in the future, who knows? ESPN, NFL, and the potential ability to stream live TV? "Most stupid idea ever?" Sheesh. Open your eyes and see the potential. Apps means opening up your TV to all manner of video sources, and possibly cutting the cable ties (and saving $50-$100 a month). So no, it's not a stupid idea.

rayward
Aug 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
99c TV show rentals, plus apps (that will provide access to streaming live sports) will make this a truly viable alternative to cable/satellite. I watch most shows off my DVR anyway, so that I can skip the commercials, so having them load automatically into iTunes is just as good.

The only thing I can see that I'll be missing, if "iTV" has what it's rumoured to have, will be access to live soccer.

rayward
Aug 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

MLB has an app to watch live baseball. That cuts one of my tether's to cable.

UnseenLlama
Aug 26, 2010, 12:45 PM

What's the other one? NFL? If it is, DirectTV just announced that you can buy their Sunday Ticket without being a subscriber. You can then watch games on your iOS device. :D

dmm219
Aug 26, 2010, 12:59 PM
A lot of people here are making ASSUMPTIONS that iTV will have things like Hulu, Netflix and MLB.tv. NONE of which are confirmed and in fact...all of serious huddles to cross before they would be available as an app on the iTV.

We'll see what they say next week, if this stuff is included for FREE, it may be compelling...otherwise I will stick with the HTPC in which I already get all of this for free...

spblat
Aug 26, 2010, 01:19 PM
If it can play my multichannel m4v files at 1080p for a hundred bucks it's an automatic buy. (mkv is probably too much to ask for.) The apps and media partnerships and $0.99 rentals and clever control scheme I think they're working on but no one knows about and all the rest are just icing.

macnewbie13
Aug 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
take this with a grain of salt but, I was at my local Apple store today and i heard two of the managers talking about a customer. They were referring to his Apple TV as iTV. "So-and-so brought his iTV in because it's having a problem" or something to that extent. I know the retail staff does not get wind of new products ahead of time, usually, but just wanted to throw this piece of info out there.

aristobrat
Aug 26, 2010, 01:33 PM
take this with a grain of salt but, I was at my local Apple store today and i heard two of the managers talking about a customer. They were referring to his Apple TV as iTV. "So-and-so brought his iTV in because it's having a problem" or something to that extent.
Apple Stores have sold EyeTV (http://www.elgato.com/)s for awhile.

Dagless
Aug 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
Apple Stores have sold EyeTV (http://www.elgato.com/)s for awhile.

That's EyeTV. Unless you're referring to Apple being silly to call their product after another wildly popular Mac product.

We all know this new device won't be called iTV. Be interesting what they do call it though.

whooleytoo
Aug 26, 2010, 02:06 PM

I don't know about you, but my HDTV is a liiiiitle bit bigger than my iPhone's screen. Using apps, and playing lots of really cheap games on a big screen, without having to worry about battery life, on a big screen with quality speakers is a big plus.

Of course, I'm still a bit confused how it's going to work - an iPhone/iTouch as the input device? Would apps then be unusable by someone without an iPhone? Or perhaps it would work with a magic trackpad? I'm confused.. :confused:

whooleytoo
Aug 26, 2010, 02:11 PM
We all know this new device won't be called iTV. Be interesting what they do call it though.

Maybe BHTC? Butt-Head TV Company - after the Carl Sagan lawsuit. :p

rayward
Aug 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
What's the other one? NFL? If it is, DirectTV just announced that you can buy their Sunday Ticket without being a subscriber. You can then watch games on your iOS device. :D

Right. And there's always high-def rabbit ears for local broadcasts.

ceraz
Aug 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
Plain obvious for me. True full HD support "+ hackable" so I can stream my HD content to the TV without loss ... otherwise, I'm gone to competition.

There's is no point in refreshing ATV if the hardware does not undergo a serious review.

CrAkD
Aug 26, 2010, 05:28 PM
easy.

1. Price
2. speed (my apple tv is sooo slow)
3. iOS (Jailbreaking, Games, apps, constantly updated)

all these things make the "iTV" a no brainer. I was going to get a mac mini but $700 is a lot to swallow. I love my apple tv but its slow and kind of a pain in the ass to navigate and its kind of apples forgotten product never gets an update if it does it minor stuff.

UnseenLlama
Aug 26, 2010, 05:30 PM

True and that OTA broadcast always looks better than the cable version anyways. The only problem would trying to get the Big Ten network...I need to see my Nittany Lions!

zedsdead
Aug 26, 2010, 05:56 PM
All the hype? For me it's mostly because the Apple TV hardware is 4 years old. Thats reason enough for me. Its the most neglected Apple product in my eyes. iOS is going to breathe new life into it.

dynaflash
Aug 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
All the hype? For me it's mostly because the Apple TV hardware is 4 years old. Thats reason enough for me. Its the most neglected Apple product in my eyes. iOS is going to breathe new life into it.
I would also submit an A4 chip would breathe some new life into it ;) Point taken.

d21mike
Aug 26, 2010, 09:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

New.

tommylotto
Aug 26, 2010, 10:04 PM

What about the games on the NFL channel and ESPN?

vladzaharia
Aug 26, 2010, 11:10 PM
That's EyeTV. Unless you're referring to Apple being silly to call their product after another wildly popular Mac product.

What aristobrat was saying is that macnewbie13 could have heard eyeTV and mistakenly thought they heard iTV. They sound fairly close.

steve09090
Aug 27, 2010, 04:17 AM
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps

There are so many excellent News / Weather / Info / Food etc. apps available, I would probably pay $99 just for a device that permanently connects to my tv that could use them all...

0dev
Aug 27, 2010, 04:21 AM
I don't see what's wrong with the Apple TV and why it gets so much hate, neither do I see why the hell I need apps on my TV.

OllyW
Aug 27, 2010, 04:24 AM
What aristobrat was saying is that macnewbie13 could have heard eyeTV and mistakenly thought they heard iTV. They sound fairly close.

You could record a show on ITV on your eyeTV then play it back on your iTV. :eek:

synthfreek
Aug 27, 2010, 06:12 AM

This from someone whose user namer is "Steve Jobs=God". lol

Are you saying that God dropped the ball on this one? BLASPHEMER!

onetoescape
Aug 27, 2010, 06:43 AM
Apple TV (itv) update not to be announced now?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a268406/apple-rethinks-major-apple-tv-relaunch.html

UnseenLlama
Aug 27, 2010, 08:46 AM
What about the games on the NFL channel and ESPN?

You wouldn't be able to get the Thursday night games later in the season which are on the NFL channel, nor the Monday night games on ESPN. but all the local Sunday games will work. :o

mstrze
Aug 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
I don't see what's wrong with the Apple TV and why it gets so much hate, neither do I see why the hell I need apps on my TV.

Netflix or Hulu apps, or any of the network apps to view streaming programming for free? Weather or news feeds?

None of this makes any sense for you on your TV?

I would agree that some apps won't work on a non-touch interface, but there is a lot of stuff that will fit beautifully.

cdavis11
Aug 27, 2010, 09:46 AM

I'm right there with you - my Roku HD XR box is working fine for baseball, but if aTV(iTV?) allows iOS type apps such as MLB and Hulu, it's all over.

My sticking point was PBS Kids shows, but I had a moment of clarity on that as well - just buy a season or two of PBS kids shows (they're usually cheap, and kids don't care about HD vs. SD) in iTunes and have them available - voila - cord cut.

dmm219
Aug 27, 2010, 11:56 AM

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a268406/apple-rethinks-major-apple-tv-relaunch.html

looks like a lot or people are going to be disappointed next week...but it makes sense.

I still wouldn't expect a new ATV until next year at the earliest. The content providers are still just not there for it.

Expect at the most, a price drop, maybe more HD space...and new itunes with some .99 rentals...that will probably be all you will get...

ascender
Aug 27, 2010, 03:29 PM
One downside of removing the HDD is that you'll then always have to have another device on to watch stuff. I find it quite handy to be able to sync the latest downloads automatically so if I fancy watching something I don't have to have my iMac on.

potatis
Aug 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
I wonder if it will keep those component jacks as those will be prohibited after 2010 on new electronic products.. would leave some space for other ports.
At least the current :apple:tv will be discontinued in 2013 latest, since it has component which will then be totally prohibited.

CWallace
Aug 27, 2010, 07:57 PM
I wonder if it will keep those component jacks as those will be prohibited after 2010 on new electronic products.. would leave some space for other ports.

I do not believe :apple:tv uses AACS, so it should not be subject to the sunset provision. But Apple will still probably drop the connections just to reduce (production) cost.

steve09090
Aug 28, 2010, 05:33 AM
One downside of removing the HDD is that you'll then always have to have another device on to watch stuff. I find it quite handy to be able to sync the latest downloads automatically so if I fancy watching something I don't have to have my iMac on.

I absolutely agree. Had WDTV Live for quite a while (but it doesn't like using Airport through Time Capsule). As soon as I heard that AppleTV maybe updated soon, I ran out and bought the current model. All my latest movies, Podcasts are saved on the HDD as well as my entire Music collection.

This rumoured 8GB storage will just make it difficult and when most ISP Plans in Oz are limited to 30GB-60GB (for most budgets), it will eat up alot of the downloads.

newagemac
Aug 28, 2010, 09:16 AM

Just because there might not be a built in hard drive doesn't mean it won't have an opportunity for you to add your own through USB or a NAS like the the Time Capsule. Early rumors specifically mentioned the Time Capsule as a server for the new iTV and the current Apple TV already has a USB port that can be used for storage when hacked. So maybe they plan to open it up for these other methods of storage since storage will no longer be included.

Revels
Aug 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
I don't see the reason for the excitement either personally. I have a Mini as my media centre and it works fine, it's just a bit overkill considering all it does is run Plex.

If the new Apple Tv has a subscription basis then I'll get it on Day1. I'm not paying 99c to rent a show. It's good value vs cable if you only watch 1 or 2 things and don't want any sport but otherwise it's going to get expensive pretty fast.

Duffinator
Aug 28, 2010, 11:03 AM
I would agree that some apps won't work on a non-touch interface, but there is a lot of stuff that will fit beautifully.They will with the new Magic Trackpad. ;)

(http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC380LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTg2OTUzNzI)

jaw04005
Aug 28, 2010, 11:25 AM

Yawn. Any article that states "Apple is understood to have accelerated its TV plans in response to Google, which is launching its Android-powered Google TV service inside Sony products in the US this autumn." is total BS.

We know Apple's development cycles are at least 18 months for most products. There's no way they accelerated anything because of Google TV.

Apple is a strategic "big picture" company. They don't change their plans based on competitors announcements and in this case a competitor that's releasing their first product (or in actuality having third-parties do it) in a market that hasn't even proven itself.

Nobody talks about this but the current Apple TV is the #1 selling Internet-enabled set-top box (Roku, Popcorn Hour, D-link, Linksys, Sling Player Catcher, WD Player, etc).

Last estimate put it around 8 million units. For comparison, Roku only sold 500,000 units as of January 2010.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aK2._zQizDac

The problem for Apple is a market of 10-25 million is nothing compared to the smartphone market, which is approaching a 250+ million units per year range.

How much investment (specifically in terms of engineering resources) is the Apple TV’s market worth?

Marcus Cyganiak
Aug 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
I can't wait for the iTV!

Here's why I believe the Apple iTV will succeed: http://www.buyric.com/blog/marcuscyganiak/023-looking-at-why-apple-itv-will-succeed/

I also wrote about why I believe Google TV will fail: http://www.buyric.com/blog/marcuscyganiak/020-looking-at-why-google-tv-will-fail/

Looking forward to your feedback, thank you!

0dev
Aug 29, 2010, 05:18 AM
Netflix or Hulu apps, or any of the network apps to view streaming programming for free? Weather or news feeds?

None of this makes any sense for you on your TV?

I would agree that some apps won't work on a non-touch interface, but there is a lot of stuff that will fit beautifully.

I could do with 4OD on my TV, but seeing as Channel 4 haven't made 4OD apps for any platform at all, or even provided HTML5 streams on the site, and they know that Apple TV's, along with this new "iTV", can access the iTunes Store where customers have to pay for shows, I don't see why they'd change that now.

What I'd really like added is a browser with Flash, that'd eliminate the need for streaming apps, but this is Apple we're talking about here.

As for weather and news feeds on my TV, I already have channels that can do that fine.

yodaxl7
Aug 31, 2010, 12:17 AM
looks like a lot or people are going to be disappointed next week...but it makes sense.

I still wouldn't expect a new ATV until next year at the earliest. The content providers are still just not there for it.

Expect at the most, a price drop, maybe more HD space...and new itunes with some .99 rentals...that will probably be all you will get...

Apple just need a starting point like the iPad as a supposed e-book reader. iBooks doesn't have the exhaustive listings as does the Amazon Kindle. iPhone did not have 3g on its first phone. The iTV with ios will have Hulu plus, Netflix, abc, Twit, podcasts,Vimeo and other apps. I read Fox and Disney may come on board first. So, there are a lot of shows I like on Fox. That app would be great. There are rumors of 1 dollar monthly subscription per show. That would be great, too. The MagicPad would serve as a great controller for some apps. The iPad can have apps to serve as a navigation and as a controller too.

drewc1138
Aug 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
The reason I am so interested in it is so I can put it in the kids bedrooms as DVDS don't last to long with my kids. The price point is very good and very tempting. If it comes in around that price point with the ability to have multiple boxes around the house I am in and will be in a big way.

GREAT idea.

yoda13
Aug 31, 2010, 11:34 AM
My thing is this, I like the way it works now....I buy shows off iTunes rather than buy the DVDs because I like to de-clutter. Do you think that the same functions that are there now will still be there, or do you think that the old functions will go away? I like all the new features being talked about, could be a killer product, but I need the old methods to stay too....?