Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shugo36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Hello. I'm using a pretty old Powerbook G4 Mac though it is more than enough to run Warcraft III. I used to have the CD, though I lost it so I went on the Blizzard store to give them my CD Key for a digital download. I got downloaded a "Blizzard Downloader" which started a download for roughly 650mb. After it finished I clicked on Warcraft III installer, and it came up with a animated menu.

Play Game
View Manual
Contact Support

So I clicked on play game, however the screen pretty much just reloaded and nothing else happened. I keep clicking it and nothing else happens. There's no error message or anything so it's been pretty hard to search for similar problems.

Also I don't even know if I'm doing the installation correctly. In the folder that the downloader downloaded there is:

DirectX
Installer
Installer tome.mpq
Installer.exe

I click on Installer and it has the broken menu I said earlier.
Installer tome.mpq is roughly ~550 mb and when I click on it it says "Insert Warcraft III disk" which doesn't make sense considering it's a digital download.
And Installer.exe and Direct X are just things I have no idea what they are.

Hopefully some people actually read this post. Any help would be great.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Try rebooting your computer and running the Installer again. Not the .exe one, the plain one. It should bring up the menu, like you've seen before, with the option to install WC3.

Shugo36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Um. I dont really understand. If I rebooted the computer a new option would appear? :/ Well anyways I tried and it's still not working. I even redownloaded the installer. No luck. D;

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
It looks as if you downloaded the PC version of the game. Maybe contact Blizzard?

I have downloaded both RoC and TFT through Blizzard digital download with no problems at all.

Shugo36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
It's definitely the mac version. If I click "Windows" I wouldn't be able to run the downloader at all.

Also I've tried to contact blizzard. They're not really responding.

I guess the only thing I can do is buy a new copy of the game. D:

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
I have exactly the same issue on my PPC G5. Just out of interest, is the version you're trying to download the same language as the one you bought?

I bought the German Warcraft 3, but chose to try and download an English version from battle.net, and like you I get the options Play Warcraft, View Manual, Customer Support.

Did Blizzard support ever get back to you?

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Yeah, looks like you downloaded the windows client (there's a mac client as well on the same page)

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
There are two downloads available, one for Windows, the other for Mac. I definitely downloaded the Mac version, as I'm sure the OP did, because the Windows download is an EXE! The Mac download is a ZIP that unpacks a downloader client, which downloads the installer to your file system. Only, the installer lacks any way to install the damn thing.

I have unpacked the contents of install tome.mpq, but the actual installer does a little more magic than just unpack, as there are several DF.* and RF.* files. I'm sure with enough playing around I could manually get the thing installed, but it's really not something I should need to do. :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just to clarify, it's normal for it to have a DirectX folder and an Installer.exe. There's a single download which runs on both platforms (there's also an Installer.app which is what the OP is running). There are two different downloaders on Blizzard's site, one for Windows and one for Mac, but they both download the exact same cross-platform content.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
If Warcraft was installed previously, there will be a preference file indicating to the installer that Warcraft is installed even if it has been removed. Create yourself a new OS X account and try installing Warcraft again.

Otherwise, navigate to your preferences folder and remove the preferences starting with com.Blizzard related to Warcraft, or the installer.

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
That didn't seem to do the job either :(

In addition, I tried moving the installed Warcraft 3 to other directories, in case it also searched in Applications, but no. What an odd piece of software that installer is. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.