PDA

View Full Version : iDough - The only 3D sculpting app on iPad

naleksiev
Aug 26, 2010, 01:42 AM
Hello everyone,

This is what we have been working on for the past few months.

http://cratesoft.com/images/idough_01_big.jpg

Also you can check out the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEvVHu-vBM) on YouTube.

Features:

Push, Pull, Smooth, Move, Pinch, Spread, Flatten brushes
Symmetrical editing that can be enabled/disabled at anytime
Variable size/strength brushes
Camera zoom/orientation control
Ability to e-mail sculptures as OBJ files for viewing with any OBJ mesh viewer
Gallery organizer
Easy creation of multiple version of a sculpture
30-level undo

-Aleks

redman042
Aug 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Ok, that looks really neat.

racher
Aug 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
This is great! I purchased iDough and made a rudimentary 3D sculpture. I then exported an OBJ file and was able to open it in Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro (an Adobe After Effects plugin that allows you to work in 3D within AE). Worked great! I don't work in any other 3D program (Maya, 3DStudio), as they always seemed too difficult to learn for me. But I always wanted the ability to create easy shapes on the fly for use in AE with Zaxwerks. Great job on iDough!

-racher

Thomas Harte
Aug 27, 2010, 06:22 AM
It's a fantastic program, even more so for the money and I've left a suitably glowing review on the App Store to try to help out. Everyone should buy this.

Just one bug though, which I spotted just now: if you have a finger on the screen, then rotate the device but remove the finger during the rotation then the application seems not to spot that the finger was removed. So from then on you can no longer perform one finger operations, only two finger ones because it things you still have the old finger pressed down.

It's a corner case, I admit, but I did find it purely by accident. Specific scenario was with the iPad on my desk, sufficiently enthused that I was pressing perhaps a bit too hard, causing the device to tilt and the screen to rotate, which I wasn't expecting so my natural instincts cut in and I pulled my finger away.

Since work is automatically saved, all I had to do was close and reopen the application and I didn't lose anything.

naleksiev
Aug 28, 2010, 04:06 AM
Just one bug though, which I spotted just now: if you have a finger on the screen, then rotate the device but remove the finger during the rotation then the application seems not to spot that the finger was removed. So from then on you can no longer perform one finger operations, only two finger ones because it things you still have the old finger pressed down.

Thank you for the bug report and the reproduction steps. I'll make sure this bug is fixed soon.

naleksiev
Nov 1, 2010, 05:54 PM
Some pretty cool stuff happened with iDough last week:

- Was featured in New and Noteworthy
- Animago AWARD winner in Best Mobile Production category
- New universal version was release (now supports iPhone and iPod touch)
- Material editor (color and specular light)
- Brand new UI
- New video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEvVHu-vBM)