PDA

View Full Version : Any real issues with iOS 4 on the 3rd gen iPod touches?

skiltrip
Aug 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've been googling like crazy over the past few days, looking for any real evidence that people are experiencing problems with iOS 4 on their 3rd gen iPod touches. Every search I do ends up bringing me to lots of people talking either about the iPhone 3G problems, touch 2nd gen problems, or a discussion on jailbreaking of some sort.

I've been hesitating to upgrade my 32GB 3rd gen touch to 4.0.2. It currently has 3.1.3 on it and runs fine. Is there any real reason I should be wary of iOS 4 on this unit, or has it generally been fine with nothing but improvements?

GregR
Aug 26, 2010, 10:27 AM
I've been googling like crazy over the past few days, looking for any real evidence that people are experiencing problems with iOS 4 on their 3rd gen iPod touches. Every search I do ends up bringing me to lots of people talking either about the iPhone 3G problems, touch 2nd gen problems, or a discussion on jailbreaking of some sort.

I've been hesitating to upgrade my 32GB 3rd gen touch to 4.0.2. It currently has 3.1.3 on it and runs fine. Is there any real reason I should be wary of iOS 4 on this unit, or has it generally been fine with nothing but improvements?

Dude, totally upgrade it. You will love it. There is the occasional "awwww iOS 4 killed my iPod", but that's unlikely, and you can always restore/reset it.

Just make sure you have enough room for iOS 4 on your iPod.

PerfectChaos
Aug 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
3rd gen iPod Touches are totally compatible with iOS 4. I have a 64GB currently running iOS 4 without any problems so you have nothing to worry about.

skiltrip
Aug 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
Dude, totally upgrade it. You will love it. There is the occasional "awwww iOS 4 killed my iPod", but that's unlikely, and you can always restore/reset it.

Just make sure you have enough room for iOS 4 on your iPod.

I currently just dumped a bunch of movies onto my touch for kicks, so I have like 6 gigs free on it. Is that enough to do the install, or should I pull the movies off first?

GregR
Aug 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
I currently just dumped a bunch of movies onto my touch for kicks, so I have like 6 gigs free on it. Is that enough to do the install, or should I pull the movies off first?

Oh ya 6gigs is definately fine. It doesn't even take a gig, so you're fine and in no trouble. Have fun upgrading!

skiltrip
Aug 26, 2010, 12:36 PM
Oh ya 6gigs is definately fine. It doesn't even take a gig, so you're fine and in no trouble. Have fun upgrading!

Ok, i'm doing it. Here goes nothing.

I was just in the Apple store. And their display 32GB had iOS 4 on it. I did a little speed comparison, and mine with 3.1.3 was a bit faster opening apps and going back to the home screen. But their display model probably had a tons of apps open, and has seen a lot of abuse over the months, so maybe the real world difference won't be much.

Incidentally, I did a little speed test with an iPhone 4 too. And I think I'm convinced about what some have said, that the speed difference between the 3GS (or 3rd gen touch) and iP4 isn't THAT much different. The difference is there, but it's nothing mind blowing.

Ok, 14 minutes left on this update download. wooohoo.

skiltrip
Aug 26, 2010, 02:51 PM
Well, I did the update. Everything seemed to be working fine, then, for some reason, I noticed my touch was like 20-something gigs free. All my music and movies got wiped off. Does this normally happen when upgrading? In any case, just finished up a 45-minute session putting everything back on the touch. What a pain though!