PDA

View Full Version : Netflix app on iPhone and Touch: a "tell" for the new ATV next week?

important
Aug 26, 2010, 03:07 PM
So with the news that the previously iPad-only Netflix app now supports iPhone and iPod Touch (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1001660), that makes it available to all iOS devices. Is the timing of this just coincidence, or did the Netflix developers bring the app up to speed for all iOS devices just in time for next week's Apple press event, where an iOS-based ATV/iTV is rumored to be announced?

An ATV that runs apps would make it the most versatile TV-related device out there. For example, imagine ATV running versions of the following iPad apps:

AirVideo: streaming video of any format on your home network to your TV

Netflix: instant queue streaming

Hulu+: current episodes not yet on Netflix

Consider what ABC did with their ABC Player app for the iPad: making shows available shortly after they have aired. Other broadcast and cable networks could develop their own apps.

App-based ATV is a game-changer if the content owners play ball (as ABC has done) - we are headed in this direction anyway: DVRs have put a real dent in the idea of timeslots, streaming video on the internet from Hulu or Netflix are making networks obsolete. At some point, production companies that make the TV shows are simply going to charge a flat fee to be able to download or stream episodes of a show to a range of devices. I think an app-based ATV hastens the move to that model.

Bring on, bring on.

poloponies
Aug 26, 2010, 04:33 PM
Who knows? It could also be that they're anticipating the new iPods being introduced next week.

mox358
Aug 26, 2010, 08:57 PM
I think (and hope) you're both right.

waw74
Aug 27, 2010, 12:38 AM
netflix on an iphone/ipod touch is pretty much same as on the ipad, just a bit of cosmetic changes due to the different screen sizes and resolutions. and making sure it works on the older less powerful hardware.

netflix on an iOS version of the apple tv would be a completely different thing, unless your tv happens to be a touch screen, and you don't mind running over and getting your fingerprints on the screen when you want to pause the movie. It will require a whole new interface, and way of interacting.

it's probably just coincidental timing.

cdavis11
Aug 27, 2010, 10:07 AM
I had the same thought when I saw the announcement.

I could see it being ported to a living room environment - just use a remote to scroll between app icons on an iOS like home screen.

If this is true, Hulu and/or Netflix plus MLB.tv and a few season passes here and there from iTunes and it's all over for my cable bill.

hitekalex
Aug 27, 2010, 02:43 PM
iTV better come with NetFlix streaming capabilities.. otherwise it's a DOA device. Just look at the media streamers market - every $100 streamer out there has NetFlix streaming support.. from Roku to WDTV to Sony Netbox.. even my $150 BluRay player has it.

Without NetFlix, iTV is a non-starter.

PurdueGuy
Aug 28, 2010, 08:24 PM
iTV better come with NetFlix streaming capabilities.. otherwise it's a DOA device. Just look at the media streamers market - every $100 streamer out there has NetFlix streaming support.. from Roku to WDTV to Sony Netbox.. even my $150 BluRay player has it.

Without NetFlix, iTV is a non-starter.

Aren't most (all?) of those other streaming receivers 3rd party? Apple is a content provider. Apple including Netflix would be similar to an official Amazon box supporting Vudu. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't see it as being supported out of the box. If it runs apps (iOS apps or other), then Netflix would probably make an app.

hitekalex
Aug 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
Aren't most (all?) of those other streaming receivers 3rd party? Apple is a content provider. Apple including Netflix would be similar to an official Amazon box supporting Vudu. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't see it as being supported out of the box. If it runs apps (iOS apps or other), then Netflix would probably make an app.

If the iTV can support Netflix via free downloadable app (similar to iPad/iPhone) - that's as good as "out-of-the-box". I can't imagine Apple restricting iTV to only iTunes Store content. That would be a grave mistake as fas as this platform is concerned, and will cause me to abandon it for good.

tbayrgs
Aug 29, 2010, 08:02 PM

Out of the box/via an app, to me same difference. And how would this be any different than Netflix being available on the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad? I'm sure Apple would prefer you consume on those devices via the iTunes store as well.

PaulMoore
Aug 29, 2010, 09:10 PM
I actually could see them having Netflix available for the above reasons. At the moment they don't really directly compete, since the Netflix watch now movies aren't generally current releases, which could mean users get content from iTunes *and* Netflix.

And better for Apple to have more iTunes access points in more homes on people's TVs by getting them to buy an Apple TV because of Netflix ability instead of a Roku.

godslabrat
Aug 30, 2010, 01:06 AM
netflix on an iOS version of the apple tv would be a completely different thing, unless your tv happens to be a touch screen, and you don't mind running over and getting your fingerprints on the screen when you want to pause the movie. It will require a whole new interface, and way of interacting.

Operating System != User Interface.

Just because an AppleTV lacks a touch input doesn't mean you couldn't use iOS apps on it... they would simply need to be tweaked for a button-oriented control scheme. I'm certain that IF the AppleTV has been converted to iOS, there is a corresponding button-based iOS version specifically for the box. App writers would simply provide support for both potential input methods.

If you can get the software to RUN on a given platform, adapting to different input devices is usually trivial.