Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristiano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Hello,
I just received my official Apple iPad keyboard dock in the mail.

I'm a bit puzzled as basic functions like scrolling up and down seem to be disabled? For instance in Safari or the Financial Times app, I am unable to scroll down by pressing the downward arrow button.

Basic shortcuts like Command+L to go to the URL line in Safari also do not seem to be working. All advice is appreciated.

kristiano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Very much so. :(

Hope this can be fixed in iOS 4

On another note, Apple's return policies are for a while aren't they? So if iOS4 for iPad comes out next month without the scrolling function for instance, I should still be able to return it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Very much so. :(

Hope this can be fixed in iOS 4

On another note, Apple's return policies are for a while aren't they? So if iOS4 for iPad comes out next month without the scrolling function for instance, I should still be able to return it?

I believe the return period is 14 days. But are you seriously saying not being able to scroll from the keyboard is such a big drawback you will return the iPad over that? If you spend the majority of time using your iPad from the keyboard, wouldn't it make more sense to get a notebook? I was just using the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard yesterday when a coworker asked me why I wasn't just using a notebook. My answer, of course, was I spent about 90% of my time with the iPad using it without the keyboard, and that the ability to leave the keyboard behind when I didn't need it was what made the iPad superior to notebooks, for my usage.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
I believe the return period is 14 days. But are you seriously saying not being able to scroll from the keyboard is such a big drawback you will return the iPad over that? If you spend the majority of time using your iPad from the keyboard, wouldn't it make more sense to get a notebook? I was just using the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard yesterday when a coworker asked me why I wasn't just using a notebook. My answer, of course, was I spent about 90% of my time with the iPad using it without the keyboard, and that the ability to leave the keyboard behind when I didn't need it was what made the iPad superior to notebooks, for my usage.

I may be wrong, but I think he was referring to returning the keyboard, not the iPad. And yes, it is a very annoying fact that you can't use the arrow keys. It could be useful in many other situations, such as when Safari lists recently visited websites as you type, it would be much easier to use the arrows to scroll down and press enter.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
From majority of thread I've read to date, I don't see the sense in buying the Bluetooth keyboard for use with my iPad. Seems as though there are more limitations with the ipad keyboard to make it worth the money. On the other hand I could also use it with my ps3 and by god does that keyboard look sexy.

kristiano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
I may be wrong, but I think he was referring to returning the keyboard, not the iPad. And yes, it is a very annoying fact that you can't use the arrow keys. It could be useful in many other situations, such as when Safari lists recently visited websites as you type, it would be much easier to use the arrows to scroll down and press enter.

You're right. I'm WAY past the 14 days return period for my iPad, and I love it too much!

I meant returning the keyboard. Guess I'll wait for the Sept 1 event and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.