Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I'd say Google but that'd be a tad redundant, hahah
Usually i just download a dozen or so apps at a time and try them out, unless of course they cost money there is more research to be done. Check ratings and read the majority of user reviews on the app store, assuming there are some.

thebleeptruth

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Hmm try Slide to Play or PocketGamer. But I usually get my information from Touch Arcade. Unlike the previous two, the reviews don't come as often and there are no exact ratings (ex. 4 out of 4, 8/10, etc.), but the news and updates they have are better IMO.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
keep them coming! so far those few sites have been pretty cool! thanks! :cool:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Be wary of review sites in general - there's a lot of honest ones, but also quite a few where the developers pay to have their apps reviewed. Look for a page where developers can contact the site or submit apps for review, there's usually a good clue there :)

I've found there's quite a few sites that will review my apps without me contacting them at all, and I only find out from a google search. These are the most trustable sites I think, but it's impossible to tell which sites do this unfortunately.

PadGadget seem to do good reviews, and (from my experience at least) are unbiased. http://www.padgadget.com/category/ipad-app-reviews/

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
It's not a website, but there's an app I stumbled on a year ago when I got my iPad1 called "AppAdvice". It was free at the time and was just tons and tons of articles on apps. They alert you to price drops and such.

The price has gone up to 1.99 the last I saw for the app now, but they've added a new section where they group apps by relevance such as "apps for golfers" and "racing games"...hundreds of sub-categories. From the year+ I've been using it I can say that at least a good 50% of my app purchases have been made because of AppAdvice. I couldn't say enough good things about them.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
ipad.appstorm.net
They also do reviews of mac apps and iphone apps (no prizes for guessing what those url's are :) )

Generally, if an app gets a 9/10 then it's pretty good, 10 is awesome and 7 is "nice try but could be better". I still find the most helpful thing to do is to search google and compare over a number of sites (if you're looking for a specific app, that is). That should give you a firm ground to decide from.

Alex

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The MacRumors iPhone Apps, iPad Apps and Hacks forums (for iPhone-only, iPad + Universal and jailbreak apps, in this order)

You won't find better multimedia player reviews anywhere else than from me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.