Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I have been a happy first mac user after I bought my powerbook G4 (2/02). I was at my local apple store (somerset, mi) and was playing around with a dual 2.0 (wow....wow) So, I will be buying a new G5 powerbook, how many think that you will have (not on order) a G5 PB before July 4 2005?

Spymit007

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2004
Massachusetts
As there have been countless threads as to the release date of the Powerbook G5, this is well-covered territory on these forums.

To sum up those forums, here's what I remember from them:

A PB G5 introduction at MWSF '05 is highly unlikely. We'll most likely see speed-bumped G4's with a higher end video card (ATI Mobility 9800).

People have speculated a Powerbook G5 introduction at WWDC in June with simply an unveiling with availability happening later in the summer (like what happened with the intro. of the PowerMac G5).

The reason why it's been so hard getting a G5 chip into Apple's portable line is simply because the chips run far too hot to be practical in Apple's current notebook form factor. Until Apple can address these issues, we won't be seeing a G5 chip in a portable computer anytime soon.

Essentially, when a PB G5 does come out, it mostly likely will be an engineering and technological marevel, courtesy of Steve and Co. But for the time being, it's not going to happen. I'm saying that based on all the things that I have read on these forums.

Spymit007

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2004
Massachusetts
Oh whoops, didn't even answer your original question. We definitely won't see a PB G5 until well after July 4, 2005. (I would love to be wrong though.)

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
Spymit007 said:
Oh whoops, didn't even answer your original question. We definitely won't see a PB G5 until well after July 4, 2005. (I would love to be wrong though.)

whats so amazing about the G5 compared to the G4 PB?

sorry im new to Mac's and willing to learn more about it

thanks!

Spymit007

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2004
Massachusetts
Jdm_rsx said:
whats so amazing about the G5 compared to the G4 PB?

The biggest difference is that the G5 operates on a 64bit architecture whereas the G4 and every Apple processor before that has operated on a 32bit architecture. While I don't know the technical aspects of it (I am sure that someone else can chime in on their expertise on the subject), the G5 represents a huge leap in terms of performance gains in pretty much everything you do on a computer. The obvious laymen's response would be that the G5 chip is faster and better than the G4 chip. Period. Now as for how it's faster...

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
Even when we do see the G5 hit the PB it will probably be the waterdown version they put in the new imac G5 at first (just a guess of course). Just because the G5 will be in a PB doesn't make it ANYTHING like the dual 2.0's, period. That machine is and will be leaps and bounds faster then any G5 we see in PB's any time soon.

To be 100% honest, I am not that impressed with my 1.6G G5 I use at work. It is not that startling as many people would have you believe, IMHO.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
advres said:
Even when we do see the G5 hit the PB it will probably be the waterdown version they put in the new imac G5 at first (just a guess of course). Just because the G5 will be in a PB doesn't make it ANYTHING like the dual 2.0's, period. That machine is and will be leaps and bounds faster then any G5 we see in PB's any time soon.

To be 100% honest, I am not that impressed with my 1.6G G5 I use at work. It is not that startling as many people would have you believe, IMHO.

The iMac G5 uses the old chips that are fabbed at 130nm.

The rev B PMG5 are using the 90nm new FX chips.

The PowerBook will not be using the same iMac G5 chips it will use the new low powered G5 chip that is currently not in any Apple product.

So the PowerBook G5 is possible however Battery life and heat will be an issue. How big no one will know until we see the new low powered chips in action.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
advres said:

...but the dual 2.5s with 2.5gb RAM & Raptors are another story. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.