PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch 4G: Specs

SCHLEGELBAGLE
Aug 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
iPod Touch 4G: Specs

These are speculative, but the reasons behind them are very backing!

The items with 100% next to them are the ones that there is no doubt about, and all the people who says that they aren't going to happen are just stupid because they absolutely are going to happen if you think about the reasoning behind in longer and longer

Redesign - 100% - two generations of the same design is too much

Retina Display - 100% - apps are now being made in iPhone 4 resolution, to not have those apps work on the iPod Touch to their full extent is just stupid

A4 + 512MB - 100% - iPod touch = "Gaming Machine" new apps won't run properly + iPod Touch needs to be up to par with the other iOS devices

Front Facing Camera - 100% - facetime ("We will sell millions of facetime devices" - Jobs) and its their new thing that all their commercials now show

Microphone - 100% - do you know how stupid you would look having a facetime call with headphones on… (plus it will limit your freedom to move around during calls

Rear Facing Camera - 90% - there is a small chance that because Apple has come up with this facetime crap that they may have scrapped there plans of incorporating a rear facing cameras in this years model, but if the do incorporate it, it will most defiantly have a LED flash

miles01110
Aug 28, 2010, 01:15 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=936228

01jamcon
Aug 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'd like to say I agree with you, but I'm not sure how they can offer all these features and still maintain the same price point as they have at the moment. Think about the price of an unsubsidised iPhone, they can't charge $400 extra just for a phone and gyroscope can they?

SCHLEGELBAGLE
Aug 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'd like to say I agree with you, but I'm not sure how they can offer all these features and still maintain the same price point as they have at the moment. Think about the price of an unsubsidised iPhone, they can't charge $400 extra just for a phone and gyroscope can they?

To say the least, the iphone is very overpriced, and a wireless reciver fro phones cost about 90$, Apple made an exclusive prduct and the first if its kinf, so they had the right to charge the exclusive carier of the devis enormous amounts for the phone, becasue they are being looked in witht here proideer for 100's of dollars in payments

a new ipod touch with all the list feature above would cost about 150 to make with 32 GB 299$ price tag bing 150$profit

fel10
Aug 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
If Apple doesn't add a rear camera because of Facetime, I think that will be a dumb move on their part. IMO I find the rear camera a lot more useful than Facetime!

01jamcon
Aug 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
To say the least, the iphone is very overpriced, and a wireless reciver fro phones cost about 90$, Apple made an exclusive prduct and the first if its kinf, so they had the right to charge the exclusive carier of the devis enormous amounts for the phone, becasue they are being looked in witht here proideer for 100's of dollars in payments

a new ipod touch with all the list feature above would cost about 150 to make with 32 GB 299$ price tag bing 150$profit

But they're not just charging carriers, they're also charging customers directly and they're charging us a lot, e.g. £600 for 32gb iPhone 4, but only £234 for 32gb iPod touch. They HAVE to raise the iPod price to incorporate those features and make it fair to iPhone customers.

tablo13
Aug 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
I want a rear-facing 720p camera! :mad: And built-in FM radio, as most MP3 players have that.

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
But they're not just charging carriers, they're also charging customers directly and they're charging us a lot, e.g. £600 for 32gb iPhone 4, but only £234 for 32gb iPod touch. They HAVE to raise the iPod price to incorporate those features and make it fair to iPhone customers.

If you look at the iPhone's bill of materials, it costs about $170 to make?.. well thats with all the extra features (3G, GPS, and all those that are only for iphone) if you take those out the BOM is dropped to around 150 if not less.. i think it will be cheap enough to make, to give a low price.

jimbothehobo
Aug 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
If the Iphone 4 cost $180 to produce then why is it an unlocked cost $600?

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 05:30 PM

Because with the At&t data plan and everything.. in 2 years its like 70 a month for 24 months thats around $1500 + dollars, if you dont get the At&t plan you have to pay more :p idk thats just how it is

JKK photography
Aug 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Regarding the specs of the back camera, I see no reason why Apple would discontinue their blatant tiering of their products. I hesitate to think that the back camera on the iPt4G would be equal to the iPhone 4's 5MP shooter.

Of course, MP don't matter much. But still, I'd expect something along the lines of the 3GS' 3MP on the back.

But I think you are right about the RAM/A4/Retina Display and other things that, if left out, would fragment the platform. They don't want that. And honestly, Facetime is still as much a novelty as anything else. So that can be left in (I think it will), or it can be left out; it doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot to me.

Still, here's to this iPod touch being a little more action-packed than the iPt3G :)

ftaok
Aug 28, 2010, 06:40 PM

Because there's more than just material costs that need to be accounted for. Apple needs to pay for employees, facilities, advertisements, taxes, etc.

As a corporation, Apple has a net profit margin of 15% (5 year average; source Forbes (http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/Ratios.jsp?tkr=AAPL))

ft

tubemonkey
Aug 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
If Apple doesn't add a rear camera because of Facetime, I think that will be a dumb move on their part. IMO I find the rear camera a lot more useful than Facetime!

Totally agree. I skipped the touch last year because they left out the mic and rear facing camera. If they do that again this year, I'll skip it again. I don't care about the other features being speculated on.

tubemonkey
Aug 28, 2010, 07:54 PM

Because Apple can get away with it and people are dumb enough to pay it.

J&JPolangin
Aug 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see an A4 CPU, 512Mb or 1Gb RAM and 3G in the new iPod Touch (but I doubt the 3G will happen):(

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 11:23 PM
I'd like to see an A4 CPU, 512Mb or 1Gb RAM and 3G in the new iPod Touch (but I doubt the 3G will happen):(

1 Gig of RAM is not possible, dont expect it :p but 512 is a must

theman24
Aug 28, 2010, 11:35 PM
Can people just cut putting the specs for the ipod touch 4g!!

Theres 2 already just wait until it comes out!!!

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
Can people just cut putting the specs for the ipod touch 4g!!

Theres 2 already just wait until it comes out!!!

relax.. if you dont want to see it then dont come on the forum -_- it comes with the territory, everyone wants to post opinions.. its natural. get used to it

wujonathan1994
Aug 28, 2010, 11:53 PM
Retina Display - 100% - apps are now being made in iPhone 4 resolution, to not have those apps work on the iPod Touch to their full extent is just stupid

Well not so sure about that I guess. that retina display's really costy, and I guess that display is gonna slow down the whole production line...hmmm...just finger crossed

J&JPolangin
Aug 29, 2010, 01:53 AM
1 Gig of RAM is not possible, dont expect it :p but 512 is a must

...why?

The iPod Touch 4G is coming out after the iPhone 4 and 1Gb of ram is very cheap at consumer prices so imagine :apple:'s wholesale price...

SoraLimit
Aug 29, 2010, 01:59 AM
...why?

The iPod Touch 4G is coming out after the iPhone 4 and 1Gb of ram is very cheap at consumer prices so imagine :apple:'s wholesale price...

Because the iPod touch usually follows in the footsteps of the iPhone 4, not exceed it.

GregR
Aug 29, 2010, 09:44 AM

No it would not cost $150, it would be way more. I have reasearched the iPhone costs and translate it into the touch. I do not want to copy and paste it butttt... I will.... I will edit this post when I get it.

Edit: $150 is actually reasonable, but still more than that like $160 because the cellular-ness is only 25cents off from the retina display - $28.25.

Also add $50 for stuff I didn't account for lol

Post includes - Total price, Features we might see in the next iPod Touch, the cellular/unnecessary-for-the-touch items, flash memory/possibilities, the link to the teardown, and an outro.

In total - $187.50

Design (enclosure, hardware, metals, plastics, etc., not screen/glass) - $10.80
Glass - $10.00 (back? I don't know)
512mb of RAM - not listed
Display - $28.50
A4 chip - $10.70
5mp back camera - $9.75
VGA front camera - $1.00
Gyroscope - $2.60
3GS 3.2mp camera - $9.55 (note: technology has improved, so the cost is probably less now, taken from the 3GS teardown)
Total - $73.35
(what I beleive to be) all things phone and cellular
double data rate - $2.70
GSM/Edge transceiver - $2.33
GPS Chip - $1.75
Compass - $.70
Miscellaneous Connectivity components - $.80
Radio Frequency baseband - $11.72
Miscellaneous Radio Frequency Components - $8.25
In total - $28.25 (25 cents off from the display.)

Now on to flash memory. Using math I derived what the possible costs of different increments would be, using the 16gb price from the teardown.
8gb - $13.50
16gb - $27.00
32gb - $54.00
64gb - $108.00
128gb - $216.00

If anyone is interested - here is the link to the information
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns-Man...o-iSuppli.aspx

so like 160, 170, around that

lewis82
Aug 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
Because the iPod touch usually follows in the footsteps of the iPhone 4, not exceed it.

The iPod touch 2 has a higher CPU speed than the iPhone 3G (533 MHz vs 412 MHz.) ;)

lewis82
Aug 29, 2010, 10:06 AM
8gb - $13.50
16gb - $27.00
32gb - $54.00
64gb - $108.00
128gb - $216.00

These prices are true if you keep adding 8GB chips... but in real life, they would need two 64GB chips in order to keep the iPod touch slim. And 64 GB chips are much more expensive than the equivalent in 8GB chips, as the storage density (and hence fabrication costs) is higher.

GregR
Aug 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
The iPod touch 2 has a higher CPU speed than the iPhone 3G (533 MHz vs 412 MHz.) ;)

Lol I think that was an exception. And what's the CPU speed of the iPhone 4

lewis82
Aug 29, 2010, 10:09 AM
Lol I think that was an exception. And what's the CPU speed of the iPhone 4

Wikipedia is your friend :) It's 1GHz, according to Apple.

GregR
Aug 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
These prices are true if you keep adding 8GB chips... but in real life, they would need two 64GB chips in order to keep the iPod touch slim. And 64 GB chips are much more expensive than the equivalent in 8GB chips, as the storage density (and hence fabrication costs) is higher.
OH damn really? I thought my prices were too expensive and you're saying they weren't?

GregR
Aug 29, 2010, 10:11 AM
Wikipedia is your friend :) It's 1GHz, according to Apple.

And what about the first gen iPod touch?

And so the next gen touch will have a processor speed of 1 GHz?

Peterson8765
Aug 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
It's pretty much a no brainer for Apple to put in a VGA front cam, I mean $1.00 is basically nothing. But for the compass, 5MP camera, GPS, and the GSM/EDGE receiver, I don't think its going to happen. Apple likes to take things slow with their products, thats why they waited a year to improve the touch because they wanted the iPhone 4 to have a radically different design and new features.

lewis82
Aug 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
OH damn really? I thought my prices were too expensive and you're saying they weren't?

Exactly ;)

And what about the first gen iPod touch?

And so the next gen touch will have a processor speed of 1 GHz?

1st gen: 400 MHz

The iPod touch will most likely have the same exact CPU as the iPad and iPhone 4. They've developped this SoC, it will be cheaper for them to use it across the whole line.

GregR
Aug 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
It's pretty much a no brainer for Apple to put in a VGA front cam, I mean $1.00 is basically nothing. But for the compass, 5MP camera, GPS, and the GSM/EDGE receiver, I don't think its going to happen. Apple likes to take things slow with their products, thats why they waited a year to improve the touch because they wanted the iPhone 4 to have a radically different design and new features.

Lol it's not gonna have a GSM/Edge receiver...