Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
London
I recently purchased a 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 quad and installed vista 64 via boot camp. It just doesn't seem to recognize any wireless connection as if the airport card isn't even installed. I checked device manager and it shows that the network controller does not have any drivers installed. I have never had any issues connecting wireless with the 2010 mac mini or previous macs. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
London
nope, it doesn't show any wireless adapter, I even deleted the windows partition and reinstalled it again but still doesn't show wireless adapter. Even tried the Vista 32 bit and still no wireless. :confused:

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
That is odd because the next thing I would have recommned would be do a format install of Windows Vista.

If you connect your Vista to the internet via ethernet, does Windows Update give you the option to download a driver?

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
London
It doesn't even recognize the wireless card. In the device manager there is an "!" next to the network controller. it says "the drivers for this device is not installed" (code 28). Under network adapters I see bluetooth and ethernet connections but no wireless.

NickCG

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Did you or anyone else find a solution for this?

I have exactly the same problem, and so far I am unable to fix it.

I have tried to reinstall (twice). I get exactly the same issue in Vista 32 as I do in 64.

As you said, "It doesn't even recognize the wireless card. In the device manager there is an "!" next to the network controller. it says "the drivers for this device is not installed" (code 28). Under network adapters I see bluetooth and ethernet connections but no wireless."

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I am using a Mac Pro 2010, quad 3.2.
Running OS X 10.6.5 - Vista 64 Service Pack 2 - Bootcamp Drivers 3.1 (installed from the OS X disc).

Thanks,
-Nick

Last edited:

NickCG

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Maybe, I connected to the internet via an ethernet and fully updated Vista (windows update & Apple software update).

The ethernet cannot be a permanent solution by the way.

Last edited:

NickCG

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
I worked out the solution, so I thought I would post this here to help anyone else who stumbled upon this thread in search of this answer.

To be clear, when I found this solution my system was up to date with OS X 10.6.5. Vista 64 Service Pack 2, fully updated. Bootcamp drivers 3.1.
You may need to be upgraded sufficiently, equally so you may just need the bootcamp drivers from your OS X disc installed.

My system is a 2010 Mac Pro 3.2 Quad.

I shall try to give the below instructions in the best English I can, I am translating it from a Dutch version of Vista so the buttons I instruct you to click might be worded slightly differently in the English version.

1. Open System Configuration
2. Open Device Manager
3. Find and open "Network Controller"
4. Click "Update Drivers"
5. Click "Search for my own drivers"
6. Click "I will choose my own drivers out of the device list on my computer"
7. Two scroll boxes appear, in the left box select Broadcom (the maker of the airport card)
8. In the second box scroll down a little and find "Broadcom 802.11a/b/g Multiband-networkadapter", select it and press next.
9. Watch the bars progress, installation happen, and your wireless network icon on your taskbar light up with your network ready to be joined.
10. Smile, relax, make a coffee & join your network.

Hope that helps someone later down the line.

Warm regards,
-NickCG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.