Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
After I defining a Class. You create an instance of that Class which is then called an Object, Instance Object or both?

Trying to get my syntax down so I can communicate better with problems.

-Lars

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
In Objective-C, an Object is, most basically, something you can message.

There are Class objects, every time you write something like [NSArray alloc] you are messaging the Class object.

Class methonds like -alloc or [NSNumber numberWithDouble: 2.0] return instances. And instances respond to instance messages like -objectAtIndex:

You can usually have as many instances as you want, but there is only one Class object for each class.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Gotcha, I understand how how it works but I am just failing to use the right terminology (syntax) to describe my problems. in my Class in the @interface I create what are called 'instance variables' and 'method headers'. Then in the @implementation section I define the methods for the @interface section.

Now in 'main', what is the correct way of saying this: "from the Class I create an Object", or "from the Class I create an Instance Object"?

-Lars

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I'd probably say "Object of class x" or "instance of class x" or even "instance of x". "Instance object" isn't wrong, per se, just a bit verbose.

-Lee

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
"Object" and "Instance" are fully equivalent synonyms. Ulsing them together is merely redundant - sort of like saying "follow the highway road."

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks. that is what I needed to know the mean the same thing.

thanks!

-Lars

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Now in 'main', what is the correct way of saying this: "from the Class I create an Object", or "from the Class I create an Instance Object"?

-Lars

"I create an instance of "class"" or "I create a "class" instance" or "I create a "class""

All of them make more sense with an actual class name.

"I create an instance of NSNumber"
"I create a NSString instance"
"I create an NSArray"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.