PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Installation Help

Larod
Aug 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hello!

I'm a Computer Engineer student, I have programmed a couple of Cocoa programs using xcode, some java stuff, etc. I'm currently working on several programs for my classes and they need to be written on C++, yes I know... I have installed all the Developer tools for mac but I think I have seen a Carbon app option before and in the current version of Xcode that option is no longer available. I have looked on the Mac Developer site but I don't seem to find a link or anything so that I can add that functionality to my Xcode installation. Any pointer will be greatly appreciated. By the way anyone out there using Qt? Is it worth it? Or you guys prefer to stick with Carbon for C++ programs for Mac?

szymczyk
Aug 29, 2010, 05:38 PM
If you're writing C++ programs for school, you can probably get away with using the C++ command-line tool project template that ships with Xcode 3.2. You would need Carbon only if you were writing a Mac GUI program in C++. I can't imagine a college C++ course using or requiring Carbon.

But if you need the Carbon project templates, you're going to have to do some more work. Xcode 3.2 removed the Carbon application templates. To access the Carbon application templates you must install either Xcode 3.0 or 3.1. You can install an older version of Xcode alongside 3.2. If you have Leopard, install Xcode from your Leopard install disc. Otherwise you'll have to download Xcode from the ADC site. Read this article for detailed instructions on downloading older versions of Xcode (http://meandmark.com/blog/2009/10/downloading-older-versions-of-xcode).

gnasher729
Aug 29, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hello!

I'm a Computer Engineer student, I have programmed a couple of Cocoa programs using xcode, some java stuff, etc. I'm currently working on several programs for my classes and they need to be written on C++, yes I know... I have installed all the Developer tools for mac but I think I have seen a Carbon app option before and in the current version of Xcode that option is no longer available. I have looked on the Mac Developer site but I don't seem to find a link or anything so that I can add that functionality to my Xcode installation. Any pointer will be greatly appreciated. By the way anyone out there using Qt? Is it worth it? Or you guys prefer to stick with Carbon for C++ programs for Mac?

Use Cocoa + Objective C++. A source file ending in .mm is Objective-C++, just like .m is Objective-C, and is fully compatible with C++.

Larod
Aug 29, 2010, 09:58 PM
If you're writing C++ programs for school, you can probably get away with using the C++ command-line tool project template that ships with Xcode 3.2. You would need Carbon only if you were writing a Mac GUI program in C++. I can't imagine a college C++ course using or requiring Carbon.

But if you need the Carbon project templates, you're going to have to do some more work. Xcode 3.2 removed the Carbon application templates. To access the Carbon application templates you must install either Xcode 3.0 or 3.1. You can install an older version of Xcode alongside 3.2. If you have Leopard, install Xcode from your Leopard install disc. Otherwise you'll have to download Xcode from the ADC site. Read this article for detailed instructions on downloading older versions of Xcode (http://meandmark.com/blog/2009/10/downloading-older-versions-of-xcode).

Yes, it is not required, I just wanted to add some GUI's to them, just to play a bit with my code. Thanks for the info!

Larod
Aug 29, 2010, 09:59 PM
Use Cocoa + Objective C++. A source file ending in .mm is Objective-C++, just like .m is Objective-C, and is fully compatible with C++.

mmm, Objective C++, I'm going to do more research on it! Thanks for the pointers!