View Full Version : Plex/Nine 9.01.10

Tilpots
Aug 29, 2010, 10:42 PM
In case you hadn't heard...:)

http://elan.plexapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Wait-is-Over-9-101.jpg

ovrlrd
Aug 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
So excited!!

Quick overview of some of the changes outlined on the blog.

The Road to Plex/Nine (http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/08/27/the-road-to-plexnine/)

Tilpots
Aug 29, 2010, 10:52 PM
So excited!!

Quick overview of some of the changes outlined on the blog.

The Road to Plex/Nine (http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/08/27/the-road-to-plexnine/)

Me, too! The features look awesome. Can't wait to take it for a spin. Much more excited about this than the iTV announcement, if any...

waw74
Aug 30, 2010, 10:57 AM
Me too, and my new drobo shows up today, so hopefully only have to rescan my library once.

Now if i just knew when the drives for it were showing up, stupid amazon/compusa for not giving me a tracking number, and a week long time frame on the delivery.

soup4you2
Aug 30, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have been looking forward to this for some time now, i'm also hoping this is what truly separates it from XMBC..

Plex 9 looks like it will be an amazing release..

The wait is going to drive me nuts, since i'll give it a month or two before updating since we solely rely on Plex for our TV/Media content. These days i dont see the need to pay for cable tv.

Cave Man
Aug 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
Should be out tonight at midnight, EST. iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad Plex apps, too. If there's an iOS Apple TV update, I suspect Plex might become available for it as well, so long as Apple doesn't think it's a competitor.

jmor
Aug 30, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hopefully they accept and approve the app quickly AND they release "iTV" or whatever with an app store and let plex come to that as well, exciting all around none the less. :D

ovrlrd
Aug 31, 2010, 01:37 AM
It's out! Get it now on their site (http://www.plexapp.com/)!

The iOS app is also available on the App Store for $4.99 USD -- Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673)

grooveattack
Aug 31, 2010, 05:58 AM
its awesome! the new media manager takes its sweet ass time to scan in all of your shows and movies though. taken about 1 hour 1/2 so far and still nothing shows up in plex. app looks good too.

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 31, 2010, 07:49 AM
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27302/plex

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 07:54 AM
And there's an iOS app too. I'm super excited... now to attempt to not ruin my current library... :)

http://www.plexapp.com

GoCubsGo
Aug 31, 2010, 07:59 AM
Nice, looking forward to tinkering this weekend. :)

Tilpots
Aug 31, 2010, 08:02 AM
It's out! Get it now on their site (http://www.plexapp.com/)!

The iOS app is also available on the App Store for $4.99 USD -- Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673)

Sweet! All this waiting and they release it a day early!:D App looks awesome, too.

Unfortunately won't be able to try either out for a few days. Stupid Hurricane Earl Storm Prep!:mad:

Sdashiki
Aug 31, 2010, 08:20 AM
Effin' sweeet.

Looks like its quite popular too, their site(s) are taking a beating.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 08:23 AM
So I bought Air Video like 2 weeks ago and this comes out?

Got it. Installed it. Now waiting the 50 minutes for Plex to download before I can use it.

So excited :D

dalvin200
Aug 31, 2010, 08:25 AM
does this work on the current AppleTV?

i updated Boxee to the beta, and it's really disappointing... so much so, it can't even see my SMB network share anymore and their support is rubbish :(

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
does this work on the current AppleTV?

i updated Boxee to the beta, and it's really disappointing... so much so, it can't even see my SMB network share anymore and their support is rubbish :(

I doubt it. They stopped supporting the :apple:TV a long time ago, before version 8 iirc.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 08:33 AM
So I bought Air Video like 2 weeks ago and this comes out?

Got it. Installed it. Now waiting the 50 minutes for Plex to download before I can use it.

So excited :D

Then you have to wait for it to rebuild your library.

It finished my movies already and is moving to TV shows. It only got 1 movie wrong out of 175 so not too bad. The old Plex got a fair amount more wrong for me.

It just got into TV Shows and it picked up Battlestar Galactica properly. Old plex used to pick up the original series for me.

I also had some movies that would crash Plex 8 but not Quicktime/VLC. I played one that I knew consistently crashed during the opening and it didn't crash so that's very nice.

The media manager is AWESOME.

dalvin200
Aug 31, 2010, 08:58 AM
I doubt it. They stopped supporting the :apple:TV a long time ago, before version 8 iirc.

ahh ok.. thanks for the info

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 09:18 AM
If you want a new skin for your Plex Nine, Preen (http://anomiesoftware.com/Anomie_Software/Preen.html) will install it for you. I use PlexAeon myself.

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 31, 2010, 09:22 AM
The new icon.

soup4you2
Aug 31, 2010, 09:23 AM
If you want a new skin for your Plex Nine, Preen (http://anomiesoftware.com/Anomie_Software/Preen.html) will install it for you. I use PlexAeon myself.

Have they improved the interface speed for PlexAeon? i've usually stuck with Mediastream because the lag annoyed the hell out of me.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 09:27 AM
Then you have to wait for it to rebuild your library.

It finished my movies already and is moving to TV shows. It only got 1 movie wrong out of 175 so not too bad. The old Plex got a fair amount more wrong for me.

It just got into TV Shows and it picked up Battlestar Galactica properly. Old plex used to pick up the original series for me.

I also had some movies that would crash Plex 8 but not Quicktime/VLC. I played one that I knew consistently crashed during the opening and it didn't crash so that's very nice.

The media manager is AWESOME.

Well, scanning is underway :D It's up to D in movies. Hurrry!

Yeah, it would mess up Castle (tv) for me, that was annoying.

Finally, an app that makes use of the CoreAnimation floating rearrangement when you resize the window.

Looking forward to seeing how it handles BR rips too.

Also, the app isn't retina is it? Plus the pictures are really low res.

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 31, 2010, 09:32 AM

I take it that the version 8 skins will not work on Plex 9?

DannyBres
Aug 31, 2010, 09:33 AM
Just got a new iMac & I wanna media app to use in bed! Is it worth giving boxee, xbmc & plex a go? anf pick the best?

Or should I just go straight for plex?

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 09:34 AM
Have they improved the interface speed for PlexAeon? i've usually stuck with Mediastream because the lag annoyed the hell out of me.

I've usually been okay with it but yeah I've noticed lag. I haven't used the new version enough to know if it's better. You can always switch back though.

I take it that the version 8 skins will not work on Plex 9?

Nope.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 09:34 AM
The music player does background streaming, forward/back but it doesn't show any song info and pause doesn't work.

Just got a new iMac & I wanna media app to use in bed! Is it worth giving boxee, xbmc & plex a go? anf pick the best?

The answers you're gonna get are all going to be 'PLEX'.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 09:37 AM

I tried Plex on the iPhone and haven't been impressed with the transcoding speed yet. AirVideo is much faster so far.

Seems great on the iPad though. Video starts about 10 seconds after you request it and scrubbing is acceptably fast. iPhone just seems slow I guess.

dmm219
Aug 31, 2010, 09:57 AM
question: will the new version of plex organize, display and play video itunes content?

If not, its still a waste to me...

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 31, 2010, 10:01 AM

I Like the drag and drop method.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 10:06 AM
I Like the drag and drop method.

Not a bad idea to have that app. Too bad everything in that app is 'in development'.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:10 AM
Not a bad idea to have that app. Too bad everything in that app is 'in development'.

I can't speak to the other skins but PlexAeon works fine. I think most of them are always in development... plus Plex 9 just officially came out today so even Plex 9 is probably buggy.

Cave Man
Aug 31, 2010, 10:20 AM
question: will the new version of plex organize, display and play video itunes content?

Of course not. iTS content is still DRM'd.

If not, its still a waste to me...

So why bother posting?

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:23 AM
Of course not. iTS content is still DRM'd.

So why bother posting?

It can play iTunes Music content that has DRM. Just not video. He posted because he was curious if the new version could play it.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 10:24 AM
I can't speak to the other skins but PlexAeon works fine. I think most of them are always in development... plus Plex 9 just officially came out today so even Plex 9 is probably buggy.

Is this a 0.9 beta PlexAeon skin? Where can I get it?

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
Is this a 0.9 beta PlexAeon skin? Where can I get it?

I got it through Preen. You can also find it on the plex forums but I'm too lazy to do the digging... even the author recommended preen.

Tilpots
Aug 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
<snip> plus Plex 9 just officially came out today so even Plex 9 is probably buggy.

Yeah, they've said all along it's going to have bugs. It's supposedly been rewritten from the ground up and this is it's first public appearance so I'm expecting to have some issues. The upside is that now that everybody can play with it, bugs will be found and squashed much quicker.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
I got it through Preen. You can also find it on the plex forums but I'm too lazy to do the digging... even the author recommended preen.

Ah, that explains it. I clicked 'Install/Update' in Preen and it didn't do anything. Thanks.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ah, that explains it. I clicked 'Install/Update' in Preen and it didn't do anything. Thanks.

Do you have github installed? I know that's a requirement.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 10:33 AM
Plex has been scanning for about an hour now...if I knew it was gonna take this long, I would've taken a nap instead :|

Do you have github installed? I know that's a requirement.

Ah, looks like I had git installed from a past life. Yeah, it's been downloading it for a while now, I know they're big files, but I've got no idea where it's at now.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:38 AM
Plex has been scanning for about an hour now...if I knew it was gonna take this long, I would've taken a nap instead :|

Ah, looks like I had git installed from a past life. Yeah, it's been downloading it for a while now, I know they're big files, but I've got no idea where it's at now.

Heh... yeah my Plex scan took a while. You also have to consider how many people are installing it and scanning their own libraries... I'm sure the repositories are utilizing a fair bit of bandwidth today. I think Aeon took about 5 mins to download.

Cave Man
Aug 31, 2010, 10:43 AM
It can play iTunes Music content that has DRM. Just not video. He posted because he was curious if the new version could play it.

Yes, and s/he specified iTS video, thus my reply. Of course, there are ways of getting around Fairplay as well. ;)

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, and s/he specified iTS video, thus my reply. Of course, there are ways of getting around Fairplay as well. ;)

You just made it sound like their question was invalid.

Cave Man
Aug 31, 2010, 10:49 AM
You just made it sound like their question was invalid.

Well it was "invalid". Here's what s/he asked:

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:52 AM
Well it was "invalid". Here's what s/he asked:

Why does that make it invalid? They didn't know if it would play iTunes Video Content. You stated it wouldn't because it had DRM. However iTunes Music content that has DRM can be played. It seemed a perfectly reasonable question considering Plex has been overhauled from version 8.

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 31, 2010, 10:52 AM
Can some one post skin install info? Terminal commands i'm not a fan of. The Plex form in down for the most part.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 10:53 AM
Can some one post skin install info? Terminal commands i'm not a fan of. The Plex form in down for the most part.

See my post elsewhere in this thread regarding Preen.

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have preen now. it has asked me to install another item called git. Where does git install?

reebzor
Aug 31, 2010, 11:13 AM
The only thing plex9 needs is a media server for *nix. Kind of defeats the purpose of having all my media on my nas...

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have preen now. it has asked me to install another item called git. Where does git install?

I don't have a clue. I've had it installed for a while now. I probably just let it go with the defaults.

ovrlrd
Aug 31, 2010, 04:48 PM
Anyone else having issues with the iOS app on the iPhone 4? It seems like I get intermittent connection issues. It will connect to my Plex media server, and then I go to play a video, and it will just freeze. Sometimes it will even freeze before I get to the list of my movies during the "loading" phase.

On my iPad it works perfectly fine, no connection issues there. I guess they have some bugs to fix. :(

Still love the new release! There is definitely a lot of improvements that have been made. I still wish it supported m2ts files better of my Blu-ray rips, it handles DTS audio tracks fine, but it can't handle LPCM audio or PGS subtitles at all. It seems like those are all because of the version of FFMPEG decoder they are using and it will eventually be resolved whenever they get around to updating to the latest version of it.

SilentPanda
Aug 31, 2010, 05:08 PM
My iPhone 3GS has that problem. iPad works great though.

Idgit
Aug 31, 2010, 06:39 PM
Plex 9 supports soft subs in M4Vs!

Finally. Now I can add subs through Handbrake or iSubtitle.

sammich
Aug 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
Alright, the scan finished, but now I've got no info for anything, as in nothing was scraped from any source. In the media manager, I clicked the gear in the window toolbar and selected 'Info Provider Settings...' and it says it has nothing. What gives? Am I missing something?

Revels
Sep 1, 2010, 07:35 AM
I'm not impressed so far really. The Media Manager is good for fixing faults and it does seem more accurate with movies.

But it's awful with my tv shows. From 26 it's got half. Even missing obvious ones like House. Even manually trying to search isn't fixing it!

Tilpots
Sep 1, 2010, 07:54 AM
Alright, the scan finished, but now I've got no info for anything, as in nothing was scraped from any source. In the media manager, I clicked the gear in the window toolbar and selected 'Info Provider Settings...' and it says it has nothing. What gives? Am I missing something?

When it prompted you to locate your Movie, TV and Music folders, did you select them?

I have all mine in a MEDIA folder, but then subfolders for each category. I selected the subfolders and it scraped just fine. Actually much better than 8.

sammich
Sep 1, 2010, 08:11 AM
When it prompted you to locate your Movie, TV and Music folders, did you select them?

I have all mine in a MEDIA folder, but then subfolders for each category. I selected the subfolders and it scraped just fine. Actually much better than 8.

Oh, you give me too much credit! :p

I've done everything right and yeah, I've raised the issue over at the Plex forums and so far no fix. So now I've got a nice blank everything for every video. And the iPhone app isn't much of anything with out the Media Server up and running properly.

Tilpots
Sep 1, 2010, 09:04 AM
Oh, you give me too much credit! :p

I've done everything right and yeah, I've raised the issue over at the Plex forums and so far no fix. So now I've got a nice blank everything for every video. And the iPhone app isn't much of anything with out the Media Server up and running properly.

Just putting on my Jr. Engineering badge!:D Never hurts to start at the beginning... Hope it gets sorted out for you.

gcmexico
Sep 1, 2010, 10:42 AM
my TV shows aren't being scanned correctly, all the file names are right

I've installed apps, but they are no where to be found on plex, any idea where they go?

*Update
went to the Plex site, TVDB is down, was completely overwhelmed, for those having issues you have to just wait

SilentPanda
Sep 1, 2010, 10:46 AM
my TV shows aren't being scanned correctly, all the file names are right

I've installed apps, but they are no where to be found on plex, any idea where they go?

A lot of the apps aren't compatible with 9 yet.

My folders are set up as such

/Shared/
/Shared/Movies/
/Shared/Movies/movie name (movie year)/movie name (movie year).m4v
/Shared/TV Shows/
/Shared/TV Shows/show name/Season xx/show name - SxxExx.m4v

Everything scanned fine. Only a few movies that were wrong... 3 I think.

Tilpots
Sep 1, 2010, 10:48 AM

Look under Video Plug-Ins. You can also consolidate all the Plug-Ins (Video, Photo, Music) under one Plug-In category.

Transporteur
Sep 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
I just installed the new version of Plex (came from a perfect organised movies and TV shows plex library) and although the media manager recognised all my movies (great!) it didn't load the covers.
No matter which view I choose, only random images from the movies are shown, which quite frankly, sucks.
Is there any possibility to change that to the old kind of style?

SilentPanda
Sep 1, 2010, 11:05 AM
I just installed the new version of Plex (came from a perfect organised movies and TV shows plex library) and although the media manager recognised all my movies (great!) it didn't load the covers.
No matter which view I choose, only random images from the movies are shown, which quite frankly, sucks.
Is there any possibility to change that to the old kind of style?

Some of this may be due to a bunch of people trying to update their libraries all at once. The Movie DB being pulled from might not be able to handle the load. You might try again in a few days when things have settled some.

Transporteur
Sep 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
Nice, I almost thought that they cancelled the cover support. ;)
Thanks!

gcmexico
Sep 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
Look under Video Plug-Ins. You can also consolidate all the Plug-Ins (Video, Photo, Music) under one Plug-In category.

how do you consolidate?

still not working, tried reinstalling, states app is in video, but doesn't show up

Tilpots
Sep 1, 2010, 11:21 AM
how do you consolidate?

still not working, tried reinstalling, states app is in video, but doesn't show up

Look around under Preferences. Not in front of Plex right now, but it's something along the lines of "consolidate plug-ins." It should jump out at you when you see it as being the one.

Not sure why your installed apps aren't showing, though.

Transporteur
Sep 1, 2010, 11:24 AM
I almost forgot, is it possible to get directly into my movies when I select them from the menu instead of a pre-selection which movies to show?

In Plex 8 it directly enters the movie section, on option it was possible to select specific ones.

gcmexico
Sep 1, 2010, 11:43 AM
Look around under Preferences. Not in front of Plex right now, but it's something along the lines of "consolidate plug-ins." It should jump out at you when you see it as being the one.

Not sure why your installed apps aren't showing, though.

can't find it...searched all of preferences

Tilpots
Sep 1, 2010, 12:01 PM

It's there, I set it up last night, but I won't be able to give you the exact location until later tonight. At work right now...

Tilpots
Sep 1, 2010, 06:52 PM

OK, found it:

Uncheck the 4th item down - "Show separate menu items for Plug-in sections"

SilentPanda
Sep 1, 2010, 07:15 PM
I almost forgot, is it possible to get directly into my movies when I select them from the menu instead of a pre-selection which movies to show?

In Plex 8 it directly enters the movie section, on option it was possible to select specific ones.

You mean the menu between the main menu and your actual movie list? Currently you can't disable that. They said they're going to give it some time to grow on people first.

StrykerGT
Sep 1, 2010, 08:07 PM
Does Plex 9 support metax metadata? I'm looking for an alternative for the Apple TV but so far I haven't found anything that can read it.

soup4you2
Sep 1, 2010, 08:14 PM
Does Plex 9 support metax metadata? I'm looking for an alternative for the Apple TV but so far I haven't found anything that can read it.

I would give that time.. I believe this release supports custom scrappers, so give some developers time to write them.. But the current scrapper IMDB has done a fantastic job, other than the slow speed due to everybody in the world updating their libraries all at once.

Cinab1mt
Sep 2, 2010, 11:53 PM
Anyone having any trouble with any of the plugins? Ive tried both ESPN 3 and Comedy central, I get audio, but no picture? Anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

ovrlrd
Sep 3, 2010, 02:13 AM
Anyone having any trouble with any of the plugins? Ive tried both ESPN 3 and Comedy central, I get audio, but no picture? Anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Are you using Flash 10.1? Because there is a bug currently that prevents plugins (Hulu, etc) that use Flash from displaying video.

They say they are working on it, but no clue when it will be fixed.

Cinab1mt
Sep 3, 2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it! Yes, I am using 10.1 Flash, does this apply to all plug-ins or only certain ones? I love Plex, but im wondering if I jumped the gun upgrading to 9.0 :confused::confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Superman07
Sep 3, 2010, 07:00 AM
Interesting - Plex has announced a partnership with LG for their 2011 TVs!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/plex-announces-paternship-with-lg-pledges-to-beat-boxee-box-and/

ovrlrd
Sep 3, 2010, 07:26 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/plex-announces-paternship-with-lg-pledges-to-beat-boxee-box-and/

This sounds way better than the DLNA stuff currently shipping with TVs! Great job Plex for landing such a deal, I hope other manufacturers take notice.

prostuff1
Sep 3, 2010, 09:41 AM

That is very interesting. I think this is probably the first i have heard of a "real" media center type app being included on a TV. I really hope more stuff like this happens on more manufacturers TV's!!

ovrlrd
Sep 3, 2010, 12:45 PM
That is very interesting. I think this is probably the first i have heard of a "real" media center type app being included on a TV. I really hope more stuff like this happens on more manufacturers TV's!!

I might be missing something but it sounds like the details don't really say that it's the same thing as Plex, but rather can access the Plex media server to stream your content. Still, if they are working with the Plex people, it might actually be the full deal like you said, and not just a simpler interface like the iPhone/iPad app.

Either way it definitely doesn't let you store media on the TV itself, so it's not a "media center" really, it would still connect to the media server running on the same network. Still way better than dealing with DLNA!

mashinhead
Sep 3, 2010, 07:03 PM
I just downloaded this and I have to say it doesn't get props from me. It looks great but I don't understand what this does that front row doesn't. I mean It just ignores the mouse, which makes it very frustrating to use. You have to download plugins to use an apple remote. The application store icon does literally nothing, which means I can't add apps, which means it literally doesn't nothing more than Front Row. It doesn't seem to have any podcast support. The interface is nice but thats about it. The pictures they chose suck.

If anyone can help me understand this better I'd appreciate it. But Right now there is little explanation or information on their end. How do I add Netflix to this?

gcmexico
Sep 3, 2010, 07:31 PM
I just downloaded this and I have to say it doesn't get props from me. It looks great but I don't understand what this does that front row doesn't. I mean It just ignores the mouse, which makes it very frustrating to use. You have to download plugins to use an apple remote. The application store icon does literally nothing, which means I can't add apps, which means it literally doesn't nothing more than Front Row. It doesn't seem to have any podcast support. The interface is nice but thats about it. The pictures they chose suck.

If anyone can help me understand this better I'd appreciate it. But Right now there is little explanation or information on their end. How do I add Netflix to this?
it takes time to get it perfect...have you imported your movie and tv libraries yet? the appstore gives all the video podcasts you want...it's truly unbelievable, you download the app, then go to your video plugin and set it as a favorite for quick access

My favorites consists of CNet TV, Geakbeat.TV, MSnbc, Foxnews, Dailyshow, colbert report, Hulu, netflix...basically your favorites become your channel guide

If you don't like the pics, choose a different skin, there are many to download, PlexAeon9 is SICK! go to the plex blog, scroll down and you will see it, with instructions to install (hardest part is that you pick the skin from plex preferences, they forget to mention that)

For a remote you can download the App or get remote buddy software

Plex is the best media server out there...it combines everything, but like I said it takes a little time to tweak it to your preferences

You have to go to the Plex blogs, and Macrumors read up on it, see what others do...that is how I got it PERFECT

Cave Man
Sep 3, 2010, 08:11 PM

Plex has a bit of a learning curve and it's menu is pretty busy. The mouse/remote issue is legacy from the XBMC days (preference setting enables the mouse). Most important is that Plex uses ffmpeg for its playback, which means you can play just about any file out there that doesn't have DMR. It can also provide digital audio A LOT better than FR/QT, including DTS, which is a bit better than Dolby Digital 5.1. Another great thing is its scraper. Saves you from having to metatag your files. Very nice, but takes a bit of getting used to.

MovieCutter
Sep 3, 2010, 10:32 PM
I need delete and rename controls in the media manager...it's pissing me off that I can't do either...

sammich
Sep 6, 2010, 01:40 AM
This is irritating, I've still got no media scrapers (which means absolutely no info apart from the filename), I've got no plug-ins (picture, music, apps, video) and even my 'Plex Online' thing is just blank.

I've erased anything with 'Plex' in the App Support folder, any prefs. Tried with a fresh user account, same problem.

Anyone had this problem before and fixed it? I've posted this in my thread on the plex forums too.

I need delete and rename controls in the media manager...it's pissing me off that I can't do either...

It's coming in the next revision.

Tilpots
Sep 6, 2010, 07:20 AM
^^maybe you have flash 10.1 installed?

Cinab1mt
Sep 7, 2010, 02:35 PM
Any idea when the fix will be out regarding Flash 10.1 and the video plug-ins?

Chris Rogers
Sep 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
Closed captioning is HORRIBLE in Plex. It didn't work in the previous version and doesn't work in this one.

If anyone has gotten it to work, please let me know. I hat having to use Boxee just to use CC.

Tilpots
Sep 7, 2010, 07:31 PM
Any idea when the fix will be out regarding Flash 10.1 and the video plug-ins?

None. I know they are well aware of the problem and maybe now that they are full timers, they'll be able to fix it.

belvdr
Sep 8, 2010, 10:12 AM
Okay, so I ripped my Andy Griffith Show collection to folders on my Mini:

Andy Griffith
Season 1
Disc 1
Disc 2
Season 2
Disc 1
Disc 2

and so forth. Now with this goofy media manager, I can't get it to just treat it as DVDs and use the folder structure. Any help on this?

sammich
Sep 8, 2010, 10:17 AM
^^maybe you have flash 10.1 installed?

This is news to me. Flash is a problem? I haven't seen this anywhere being the culprit on the Plex forums.

How the heck is flash affect it anyway?

(Thanks for the heads up, at least I know what it is now)

Tilpots
Sep 8, 2010, 10:33 AM
This is news to me. Flash is a problem? I haven't seen this anywhere being the culprit on the Plex forums.

How the heck is flash affect it anyway?

(Thanks for the heads up, at least I know what it is now)

This is a pretty good summary of the issue:

Plex and Flash 10.1 (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/14912-plex-and-flash-101/)

Basically, you'll need to uninstall 10.1, then install the last version of 10.0x. Pretty sure links are on that link above.

Whether or not it will solve all of your problems, I don't know, but it'd be a good place to start. I had 10.1 installed and none of my apps worked and it gave Plex lots of problems. Since I installed 10.0x, Plex Nine has worked great!

sammich
Sep 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the links.

I uninstalled installed r45 and restarted. No go at all.

I guess I'll just have to wait it out, keep this thread open for updates.

Tilpots
Sep 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the links.

I uninstalled installed r45 and restarted. No go at all.

I guess I'll just have to wait it out, keep this thread open for updates.

Sorry, sammich. I'm at a loss. Hopefully they'll help you out on the Plex boards.

When you say restarted, you restarted the computer, right? Just a last guess...:confused:

sammich
Sep 8, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry, sammich. I'm at a loss. Hopefully they'll help you out on the Plex boards.

When you say restarted, you restarted the computer, right? Just a last guess...:confused:

Yeah, restarted the computer :) Been on the plex boards, and they haven't posted any help except for deleting the apps support folders.

But from the looks in the thread, the issue with Flash is the missing video in some plugins. I have a different problem I think, I'll be hunting around more for info.

Seydlitz
Sep 8, 2010, 01:21 PM
I just downloaded this and I have to say it doesn't get props from me. It looks great but I don't understand what this does that front row doesn't.

It's a much better decoder which uses full HW acceleration (and both cores). You will notice this with more demanding content.

I mean It just ignores the mouse, which makes it very frustrating to use. You have to download plugins to use an apple remote.

That's odd... remote should be supported out of the box. I never saw this issue before unless you use OS 10.6.1 where the OS had a bug (fixed by apple in 10.6.2).

For support: go to their wiki. I looked for the netflix plugin for you and came up with this through the wiki: http://anomiesoftware.com/Anomie_Software/Plexflix/Plexflix.html

Plexflix

Automatically move Movies and TV Shows from Netflix and TV Shows from Hulu into your Plex TV Shows and Movies folder.

Note that I'm an XBMC user which is a sibling but not the same, so I'm not an authority on Plex. But I did use it for awhile with a lot of success. Plex (nor XBMC) ever disappointed me.. they rank under the best pieces of free software I ever encountered.

sammich
Sep 9, 2010, 09:26 PM
I fixed my problem for anyone interested:

My hosts file didn't have the line "127.0.0.1 localhosts" in it, because of that the server that drives the info providers could never be reached by the media server.

Anyway, it's scanning now :) All happy again!

Tilpots
Sep 10, 2010, 07:43 AM
I fixed my problem for anyone interested:

My hosts file didn't have the line "127.0.0.1 localhosts" in it, because of that the server that drives the info providers could never be reached by the media server.

Anyway, it's scanning now :) All happy again!

Why didn't you have that file? Not that I know what it does, just don't understand why you wouldn't have it.

sammich
Sep 10, 2010, 07:53 AM
Why didn't you have that file? Not that I know what it does, just don't understand why you wouldn't have it.

No, I have the file but it was that particular line that was missing.

The hosts file is a series of lines that tell a computer where to look for something on a network. There are two things on each line, the first is an address corresponding to a request and the second is the address that the computer will map that request to when it comes across that first address.

For example: if you had "www.google.com www.google.com.au" any request that OS X receives that is "www.google.com" will be translated to "www.google.com.au". Some ad-blockers also block ads by using this method (ie: www.adserver.com localhost will point to nothing).

Since I was missing "127.0.0.1 localhost" (which is the default address for the local machine service) any request looking for 127.0.0.1 would never find a service running on my machine. And since all Plex scrapers are python servers, if it can't find them, it won't use them.

belvdr
Sep 10, 2010, 07:57 AM
For example: if you had "www.google.com www.google.com.au" any request that OS X receives that is "www.google.com" will be translated to "www.google.com.au". Some ad-blockers also block ads by using this method (ie: www.adserver.com localhost will point to nothing).

hosts files do not perform aliases. They only do IP-to-name mappings. So the way some block ads is to point the server to 127.0.0.1 (or any other 127.x.y.z IP for that matter):

127.0.0.1 www.adserver.com

Since I was missing "127.0.0.1 localhost" (which is the default address for the local machine service) any request looking for 127.0.0.1 would never find a service running on my machine. And since all Plex scrapers are python servers, if it can't find them, it won't use them.

You have that backward. Anything looking for localhost wouldn't be able to resolve it to 127.0.0.1. Anything connecting directly to the IP of 127.0.0.1 will work without the hosts file entry, as it is going directly to the IP.

This is there by default, so it's weird that yours had those lines removed.

sammich
Sep 10, 2010, 08:05 AM
hosts files do not perform aliases. They only do IP-to-name mappings. So the way some block ads is to point the server to 127.0.0.1 (or any other 127.x.y.z IP for that matter):

127.0.0.1 www.adserver.com

You have that backward. Anything looking for localhost wouldn't be able to resolve it to 127.0.0.1. Anything connecting directly to the IP of 127.0.0.1 will work without the hosts file entry, as it is going directly to the IP.

This is there by default, so it's weird that yours had those lines removed.

Ha, I thought I had the concept down pat. I was also going by the lines I found in my hosts file (basically hundreds of "adserver.com localhost" lines) which seemed to suggest that they just redirect any requests into a blackhole.

And that second part makes sense a lot more sense when it's the other way around, I thought as I was writing that it didn't sound right.

Well, there you go, learn something new everyday. Thanks for clearing that up so quickly.

And I don't know why that line was missing, maybe in some distant past I had messed it up (because it had the line "localhost localhost" and no "127... localhost").

belvdr
Sep 10, 2010, 02:46 PM
Okay, so I ripped my Andy Griffith Show collection to folders on my Mini:

Andy Griffith
Season 1
Disc 1
Disc 2
Season 2
Disc 1
Disc 2

and so forth. Now with this goofy media manager, I can't get it to just treat it as DVDs and use the folder structure. Any help on this?

Anyone know how to do this? I think it is a really dumb idea to think that everyone is going to suddenly rip every episode from their existing DVD rips. I may have to go back to the old Plex, as this one is a pain in the neck for what I want.

Cinab1mt
Sep 10, 2010, 02:46 PM
This is a pretty good summary of the issue:

Plex and Flash 10.1 (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/14912-plex-and-flash-101/)

Basically, you'll need to uninstall 10.1, then install the last version of 10.0x. Pretty sure links are on that link above.

Whether or not it will solve all of your problems, I don't know, but it'd be a good place to start. I had 10.1 installed and none of my apps worked and it gave Plex lots of problems. Since I installed 10.0x, Plex Nine has worked great!

Great Link! Thanks. The older versions of Flash are found in there, down graded and now my plug-ins work great!

Tilpots
Sep 10, 2010, 07:04 PM
Anyone know how to do this? I think it is a really dumb idea to think that everyone is going to suddenly rip every episode from their existing DVD rips. I may have to go back to the old Plex, as this one is a pain in the neck for what I want.

Sorry, belvdr. I haven't ripped my TV shows yet, so I'm really not sure. I remember reading something similar to what I think you're asking from the Plex/Nine Database thread. Check it out this post (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/12493-plexnine-database/page__view__findpost__p__85003) and Elan's reply right below. As I said, not sure if it answers your question, but it may give you a little insight.

Great Link! Thanks. The older versions of Flash are found in there, down graded and now my plug-ins work great!

Rock on!

vwDavid
Dec 3, 2010, 12:40 PM
HI folks,

I recently read through this whole thread. Back in May I bought a Mac Mini and only recently set it up with Plex. As soon as I got plex 8 sorted I found out plex 9 was the most recent and installed that.

I have to say I am not totally blown away. I want to be, but I find the remote control use is not intuitive. Then I read about apple remote problems. I am having a hard time figuring out if plex 9.1 and OSX 10.6.5 are free and clear of remote problems or not and what those old remote problems actually are.

I also have a lot of saved TV shows off my tivo as well as a few downloaded shows like Top Gear. So plex recognizes top gear in my TV Shows section but it appears that when it doesn't recognize my other shows (and I don't expect it to) it doesn't show them at all which is what bugs me.

Worded another way I want to be able to have some TV shows that are successfully scraped and some that don't need scraping appear in the same plex section. How can I get this?

Also, can I get full screen music visualization without cover art or text blocking the screen. I have not figured that on out either.

Thanks for your help.

newagemac
Dec 3, 2010, 12:58 PM
Worded another way I want to be able to have some TV shows that are successfully scraped and some that don't need scraping appear in the same plex section. How can I get this?

Thanks for your help.

Good question. When I tested out Plex 9 I was wondering the exact same thing. I don't think it's possible to NOT scrape something is it?

vwDavid
Dec 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
Correct. it appears you can't but I am not fully versed in plex yet.

Plex won't successfully scrape shows I've copied over and converted from my Tivo or other video capture devices. For example you could have home movies that you want to appear in your TV show section along side your TV shows. Personally I record documentaries but plex can't scrape it and therefore it doesn't appear in my TV show list although I've added it.

help

Ap0ks
Dec 3, 2010, 02:43 PM
They've added a lot of metadata features to the media manager in the last two incremental releases, which may be what you're after (be careful though as they aren't bug-free and are still work in progress).

If you want to give it a try it's available to download from the Plex blog (http://elan.plexapp.com/).

Sdashiki
Dec 3, 2010, 03:09 PM
You MUST get a logitech harmony remote.

Plex suffers without it. And so will you.

Transporteur
Dec 3, 2010, 03:20 PM
You MUST get a logitech harmony remote.

Plex suffers without it. And so will you.

I've been using Plex for quite a long time now and I never felt the need for anything other than the Apple remote (may it be the physical one or Rowmote for iPhone). Version 9 made it even easier, since one doesn't need to type in TV show or movie information any more.

Tilpots
Dec 5, 2010, 11:15 AM
For Apple remote issues, check out Candleair or an iPhone remote app like Hipporemote.

And for metadata editing check the Plex blog link listed above. They've made manual editing possible and gave us the ability to lock information from being scraped.

vwDavid
Dec 5, 2010, 11:45 AM
Yes, I understand there have been remote issues in the past, but I have seen no documentation suggestion they still exist (plex 9.1.2 + OSX 10.6.5) or if they have been solved. Does anyone know?

Phillie14586
Dec 5, 2010, 05:05 PM
So how do you exactly edit metadata? I right click on a movie in Plex and do not get the same list as he shows in the blog.

Update: I found the media manager in the menu bar drop down. But there still is not an edit when I right click. I do get a Fix Incorrect Match but that is all I get to try to fix the problem. I still need to be able to fully edit the metadata. I am running Plex 0.9.1.2 in snow leopard.

Cave Man
Dec 5, 2010, 05:51 PM
You need to open Media Manager from the Plex icon in your menu bar, then right-click.

Phillie14586
Dec 5, 2010, 06:25 PM
You need to open Media Manager from the Plex icon in your menu bar, then right-click.

That is what I did but I only get

Reveal in Finder
Fix incorrect match
Split Apart
Refresh info

I don't get the edit metadata

nebo1ss
Dec 5, 2010, 06:42 PM
Correct. it appears you can't but I am not fully versed in plex yet.

Plex won't successfully scrape shows I've copied over and converted from my Tivo or other video capture devices. For example you could have home movies that you want to appear in your TV show section along side your TV shows. Personally I record documentaries but plex can't scrape it and therefore it doesn't appear in my TV show list although I've added it.

help

I have not been using PLEX very long and am certainly not an expert but the solution to this problem for me was down to naming convention. Plex will not add anything to TV shows unless the naming convention of the file adhers to the TV shows naming convention.

Ap0ks
Dec 6, 2010, 05:56 AM
That is what I did but I only get

Reveal in Finder
Fix incorrect match
Split Apart
Refresh info

I don't get the edit metadataYou need to make sure that you restart the Plex Server before it'll run the latest version installed in your applications folder. If you click the menubar icon and select "About Plex Media Server" it should say 0.9.1.7 unless it hasn't been restarted.

To restart, just select quit from the menubar icon and then open Plex and it'll start up. If you then go into the media manager you should see the metadata editing options (assuming you've already downloaded and installed the latest incremental build).

Phillie14586
Dec 6, 2010, 06:18 AM
I will check the version when I get home but this is the first time Plex has been installed on this computer. I thought I got the lastest version.

DaveNinja
Dec 6, 2010, 09:31 AM
I will check the version when I get home but this is the first time Plex has been installed on this computer. I thought I got the lastest version.

i think you need to click on the link in the latest blog post to get the version with the editable metadata.

ginopiazza49
Dec 6, 2010, 05:24 PM
As of yesterday Plex was working perfectly for me. Today I thought I would try the incremental update (0.9.1.7). I am suddenly getting -

-------------------------------

Error:
Cannot determine input format

Does anyone know what that means?

Phillie14586
Dec 9, 2010, 06:44 PM
As of yesterday Plex was working perfectly for me. Today I thought I would try the incremental update (0.9.1.7). I am suddenly getting -

Where did you get 0.9.1.7? I found out why I didn't have the ability to edit metadata. The Dec 02 blog entry has a link to 0.9.1.2. The Nov. 25 post has a link to 0.9.1.5. The later one has metadata editing.

ginopiazza49
Dec 9, 2010, 07:00 PM
Where did you get 0.9.1.7? I found out why I didn't have the ability to edit metadata. The Dec 02 blog entry has a link to 0.9.1.2. The Nov. 25 post has a link to 0.9.1.5. The later one has metadata editing.

Go to the Blog section and look at the very top of the blog page: "You can download this latest incremental click here"

Tilpots
Dec 10, 2010, 01:18 PM

Error:
Cannot determine input format

Does anyone know what that means?

Found this thread (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/19616-error-could-not-determine-input-format/) which describes your problem. I didn't read thru it, but thought you might be able to find some help there.

ginopiazza49
Dec 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
Found this thread (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/19616-error-could-not-determine-input-format/) which describes your problem. I didn't read thru it, but thought you might be able to find some help there.

Thank you, I appreciate the link.

Tilpots
Dec 18, 2010, 04:12 PM
Anybody running into problems trying to view certain VIDEO_TS rips? Every time I try to play any of the LOTR movies and several others, I get an immediate crash of Plex upon the movie selection. There's a related thread on the Plex Forums (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/15851-solved-video-ts-crash/), but I can't find a fix. Anybody have an idea? I"m running the latest public release. The new hot fix doesn't mention anything about this issue.