Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Trying to figure whether I should go dry loop DSL or not. I currently have ATT DSL w/ a basic phone line (that I don't really use - I kept the phone line for emergencies and because it was cheaper to keep the phone line + DSL than to get dry loop DSL - but they are offering dry loop DSL now for the same price as DSL w/ a phone line).

The one thing that is keeping me from upgrading is the problems people seem to be reporting after switching to dry loop, specifically about lower speeds and sync issues. Looking for opinions/advice on whether to make the switch and what kind of things I can do beforehand to insure (or determine whether I will or not) I won't have those same problems afterwards.

jimboy4

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
mac/ dry loop

I will be curious to see if anyone posts something on this subject. I hope so.
3 years ago I tried to go to dry loop and so many problems! like 53 hours with tech support between at&t and Apple trying to figure out the issue. I had a new mac so thought it might be that. Should have known it was anything but the mac. Apple was great and even got on the phone with a 3 way conversation trying to figure out the issue.Because it was a new computer and the problem continued, Apple finally gave me a new computer. Still issue.It was the dry loop somehow and was such a new concept apparently none of the techs knew to look in that direction.
am afraid to try it again, although AT&T says it is all worked out now.After being an at&t customer for a long time, when I went to dry loop and then came back to a basic phone line they wanted a 150.00 deposit or something like that, as if they never heard of me..
So people come on here and tell me things have changed in the last 3 years. I would love to get rid of my landline bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.