Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm on the Rogers network and my plan includes unlimited text, unlimited instant messaging, unlimited video messaging and unlimited picture messaging. Trouble is, I have an iPhone 3GS with a data block. I had data once upon a time but since my university grounds are covered with blanket Wi-fi I removed the plan since it wasn't worth paying for. I also put a data block on so that I wouldn't incur accidental charges.

But ever since I turned off the data 2 months ago I haven't been able to send MMS. I always get "Message Send Failure" error and I called the Rogers rep, who told me that I need to get a data plan in order to MMS on my iPhone. This is kinda BS; do I really have to pay another $30/month to unlock a feature that I'm already paying for? =/ or will I NEED data in order to MMS on my iPhone? I don't think it's a network issue since I used a no-data Blackberry as well as a normal LG Xenon with my SIM card and could MMS just fine.

I'd remove the data block but I don't want my phone to accidentally use the Rogers data network and give me huge charges on my next bill. Would it be possible to unblock data through Rogers, turn off "Cellular Data" option on the iPhone and thus be able to use MMS without incurring extra charges?

PS: Please don't post if you're just going to berate me for buying an iPhone without data. I like the iOS software, how well my iPhone works and the fact I don't need to carry around multiple devices. I'm a university student on a huge budget and apparently on MacRumors it's a huge crime to have an iPhone without a data plan. Please, I'm really tired of this elitist attitude.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
MMS requires that you do NOT have a data block on your account.
You also must have Cellular Data turned ON to receive or send MMS.

Call Rogers and inquire. I believe they are blocking everything and only offer these data passes. There are no pay-per-use options anymore when in Canada on Rogers, you would be taken to a website when you open Safari to signup for the these data passes. Apps wouldn't use data until you sign up for these passes.

But I could be wrong (hoping that I am not though). But if you want to send pictures and videos then get that data block off so you have data but ask them if you would still be notified via text message when an app uses data and if you will still be directed to a Rogers site to sign up for the data passes.

Once they confirm this and your block has been removed, test it for yourself. If you find that you are not directed to a Rogers site to sign up for the data passes AND you did not get a text message then try the next day. Try apps as well. If nothing happens then call them. Tell them what happened and you want a credit and a solution to the problem. They will give you a credit for sure.

MMS uses data features, but they are charged differently as Rogers knows it is an MMS message and not a regular web browsing request so it comes out of your plan. I wouldn't worry at all.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Thanks a lot, man. I'll give them a call tomorrow! I really hope you're right that they removed pay-per-use, I tried looking for it on their site but all they have now are the $1 "Data Day Pass". :D

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Yea it is difficult to find this info so that is why I am not sure on what Rogers is blocking and what they aren't. I checked several forums and blogs as well before I responded lol

Keep us posted, it would be nice to know what they say.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You need to open the data gateways to receive mms or send them. MMS are not sent the same way as SMS they use something similar to a MIME email and then sends it to a MMSC server on your network. For the recipient if it's a different carrier it will probably use the internet to send the data from there... It normally uses http to send the MMS and the address (URL) of it is send by SMS to get that info(the msj). So you need to have a data connection to be able to use it even thought it will not count towards the Internet data since the iPhone is mms capable and thus charged the mms msj rate or as a normal txt charge depending on your carrier...

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apps wouldn't use data until you sign up for these passes. But if you want to send pictures and videos then get that data block off so you have data but ask them if you would still be notified via text message when an app uses data and if you will still be directed to a Rogers site to sign up for the data passes.

This is my main concern. I know that when I go on Safari etc., I'd get a text about the Data Day Pass feature... the trouble is, certain Apps may try to access data which is nearly impossible for me to monitor. I'll definitely ask the Rogers rep this on the phone tonight :S

I'll let you guys know what happens... I've tried calling Rogers twice this morning and was told that they "are experiencing a higher than normal amount of calls resulting in a 30-minute or more delay" so I'll give them a call later tonight :) Thanks for the help, guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.