PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch 4 3G rumor - AppleInsider

Blackened
Aug 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
People familiar with Apple's plans have also heard over the last few months that the company has strongly considered mimicking its iPad offerings by adding a 3G option to some of its iPod touch portable media players, though it is unclear whether the Cupertino-based company has decided to proceed with those plans as part of next week's announcement.

A similar move was made earlier this year when Apple launched the iPad. The company now offers a Wi-Fi-only iPad, in addition to a version with a 3G radio for an additional $130. Currently, the iPod touch only offers Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but 4th-generation prototypes with a SIM tray akin to the iPhone 4's are said to exist.

The 3G-capable iPad has been a resounding success for Apple, with strong sales that resulted in the device being sold out or in limited availability for months at Apple's retail stores.

At a minimum, Apple is widely expected to introduce a fourth-generation, FaceTime-equipped iPod touch with front and rear facing cameras, as well as a Retina display, at next week's Sept. 1 special event.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/08/27/apples_shrunken_6th_gen_ipod_nano_to_retain_30_pin_dock_connector.html

DJLanglois
Aug 30, 2010, 07:38 PM
People will probably come here and tell you that the news is old, it's been posted before, etc.

But I, for one, am happy to have another thread dedicated to getting excited about this rumor.

I doubt it'll happen. But a 3G-capable Touch would make my day!

ademuth93
Aug 30, 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't really think it will happen either.

That isn't to say I wouldn't totally love an iPod with 3G... I just don't think it'll happen.:(

Derkatwork
Aug 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
People will probably come here and tell you that the news is old, it's been posted before, etc.

But I, for one, am happy to have another thread dedicated to getting excited about this rumor.

I doubt it'll happen. But a 3G-capable Touch would make my day!

What would be the point? Most people have wifi networks which are faster. The only useful feature would be sending texts from an app anywhere. Apple wouldn't give that upgrade since voip apps would allow calls using the 3G. It just wouldn't be smart. Maybe in a few more years we will get it.

ohaithar
Aug 30, 2010, 08:37 PM
A touch with 3G? Just go get an iPhone

ademuth93
Aug 30, 2010, 08:42 PM
What would be the point? Most people have wifi networks which are faster. The only useful feature would be sending texts from an app anywhere. Apple wouldn't give that upgrade since voip apps would allow calls using the 3G. It just wouldn't be smart. Maybe in a few more years we will get it.

Yeah. I don't think we'll get it as I said before.

All the rumors about this 3G crap seem to be very unfounded: "Apple has at some point in the past year considered adding 3G to the iPod Touch." Not really much of a source, huh?

I think it will end up being like the camera in last year's iPT to a certain extent.

My thoughts exactly. But what are Apple's? Who knows?

They might think that it could increase sales by quite a bit; some people don't like the idea of being bound to a data contract.

pimpp
Aug 30, 2010, 09:04 PM
i think if they were to make an ipod touch with 3g they will charge more but u will have the option to get one without 3g just normal wifi for a cheaper price

farmermac
Aug 30, 2010, 09:16 PM
What's the point of a 3G capable touch? That's iPhone territory

Edit : should have refreshed before posting. Doh

Dr Kevorkian94
Aug 30, 2010, 09:58 PM
i just hate the idea of a 3g ipod touch, idk why but i do regardless i am gidding for excitement for this event i cant wait. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

pimpp
Aug 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
does anyone know if we could watch the apple media event live stream:apple:

Blackened
Aug 30, 2010, 11:41 PM

I don't think Apple allows that, do they?

fel10
Aug 31, 2010, 12:01 AM

Unfortunately Apple doesn't do that! The only way u are going to be able to watch the conference is when they post the keynote on Apple's official site!

ChrisGonzales90
Aug 31, 2010, 02:27 AM
What would be the point? Most people have wifi networks which are faster.

Whats the point? What would you do when your not within range of a wifi hotspot? Most public ones require a password or a membership.

Of course! We all know the touch can make phone calls! :rolleyes:

some people don't like the idea of being bound to a data contract.

Expect this wouldn't be a contract, but rather a pay as you go option.

i think many people bashing the idea are getting confused that you won't be on a contract. It will be pay as you go.

J&JPolangin
Aug 31, 2010, 05:39 AM
...a 3G capable iPod Touch would be great for me... the iPad won't fit in my pocket and for some reason I just don't like the iPhone carrier that's avail here in Japan so I'll stick to my Au phone plan...

OllyW
Aug 31, 2010, 05:46 AM
If Apple can get away with charging $130 for components that only cost $27 (http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/2010/02/ipad-price-analysis-suggests-big-3g-markup/) in the iPad, then it's no surprise they are thinking about adding them to the iPod touch if they can charge the same mark-up again. ;)

sineplex
Aug 31, 2010, 06:04 AM
If Apple can get away with charging $130 for components that only cost $27 (http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/2010/02/ipad-price-analysis-suggests-big-3g-markup/) in the iPad, then it's no surprise they are thinking about adding them to the iPod touch if they can charge the same mark-up again. ;)

I'm sure they cost $27 in the hundreds of thousands.
Try buying "1".

OllyW
Aug 31, 2010, 06:08 AM
I'm sure they cost $27 in the hundreds of thousands.
Try buying "1".

I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Apple do buy hundreds of thousands of them. :confused:

sineplex
Aug 31, 2010, 06:18 AM
I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Apple do buy hundreds of thousands of them. :confused:
Apple aren't getting away with anything. You're buying 1 so it's $100 bux extra.

If you buy something to resell you should at least make double your money or you're wasting your time.
Radio shack for example sells parts for $3 that they buy for 3 cents. - They are getting away with blue murder. :eek:

just say'n

OllyW
Aug 31, 2010, 06:25 AM
Apple aren't getting away with anything. You're buying 1 so it's $100 bux extra.

If you buy something to resell you should at least make double your money or you're wasting your time.
Radio shack for example sells parts for $3 that they buy for 3 cents. - They are getting away with blue murder. :eek:

just say'n

Just commenting that it's good business for them to make a similar mark up on the iPod touch if people don't mind paying it for the iPad. :p

Warbrain
Aug 31, 2010, 06:26 AM
For some people buying an iPod touch and having 3G on it...that's as close to an iPhone they'll ever get because they don't want to switch carriers, like their current phone, etc.

However, if there is an iPod touch with 3G then it'll be released a few weeks after tomorrow for FCC approval.

Derkatwork
Aug 31, 2010, 07:53 AM
Whats the point? What would you do when your not within range of a wifi hotspot? Most public ones require a password or a membership.

It won't happen because then people could make ipod touch calls through voip. Then people wouldn't get an iphone. And there are multiple places that offer wifi too. Malls, colleges, unlocked networks that can be used on the street, and some restaurants offer wifi. The only major function outside of wifi would be texting anyways. I can check my phone for that.

skiltrip
Aug 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
It won't happen because then people could make ipod touch calls through voip. Then people wouldn't get an iphone. And there are multiple places that offer wifi too. Malls, colleges, unlocked networks that can be used on the street, and some restaurants offer wifi. The only major function outside of wifi would be texting anyways. I can check my phone for that.

But you're talking about a company that LOVES control, and hates being tied to AT&T contracts (or any other carrier contracts in the future). If people weren't tied to 2-yr contracts, they'd definitely sell more iPod touches with 3G. Once a year possibly if the upgrades were significant.

I think in the future as WiFi hotspots spread, and handheld non-phone devices start having 3G that cellphone companies will start to become data companies that sell data access through cell towers. Then people can makes call through whatever VOIP service they want.

I don't see this happening NOW or anything, but that's where it's headed I believe.

So all that said, I don't think we'll see 3G in this year's iPod (not with the laundry list of upgrades we DO expect to see). But next year and the following year, more and more laptops and handheld devices will have 3G type abilities.

shadyside4fyr
May 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
i hate all the fools that criticizes what other people want. Say what u want to see on the ipodtouch and leave other people's comments alone. We should stand for achievable technology if a device can be made better with the present technology why do we object? To wait longer for yesterdays technology? if it is possible apple should do it. besides it is an option if u dont want it dont get it STUPID! WIFI + 3G models of the ipodtouch is a great idea (unless you enjoy being a wifi hog or being extremely limited to coffee shops,or carrying ur laptops around. The ipodtouch depends a lot on internet connectivity is a shame for it to be so restricted. and for the fools who always suggest getting an iphone cant u get it in your thick skulls that some people JUST DONT WANT AN IPHONE...PERIOD?).... and oh yeah the ipad is too big for some of us. so speak for yourselves but i want a 3G radio on my ipod, A better camera,GPS, more RAM,Aluminum or Glass back ,Enabled FM radio,Bigger screen,vibration motor,better sound quality,. besides the ipodtouch is more or a smaller tablet than a music player my old Philips Go-gear sounded better and had an fm radio.
and its good its thin and all but it doesn't have to be so thin just let it be functional.

Carouser
May 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
What would be the point? Most people have wifi networks which are faster. The only useful feature would be sending texts from an app anywhere.

Do most people have WiFi networks wherever they go? I certainly don't. But yes, the only useful feature would be sending texts (and checking/sending e-mail; and looking up maps, addresses, everything else in Safari; using FaceTime; other Apps that use WiFi like NetFlix; etc.).

Yeah, it's not like a pay-as-you-go on the iPod Touch would only be a quarter of the cost per month and no contract or anything like that, is it?