PDA

View Full Version : Plex app for iPad

aprofetto8
Aug 31, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hey,
Just stumbled across the description for Plex for the iPad/iPhone. I heard about it before, but I didn't realize it would be able to stream the content used by Plex.

Has anyone successfully streamed a show or movie to their iPad using the Plex app? Is the quality good? Laggy/choppy?

Thanks, appreciate all the information!

ttate90303
Aug 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
Tried it briefly on WiFi and it works after a brief delay from selecting the movie. Streaming of 3G will require you to manual set up port forwarding on the server side. Still a work in progress on the Server app but a nice start. I expect a future release could include automatic port forwarding similar to AirVideo app.

The metadata import that gets added to your collection is very nice.

emegmac
Aug 31, 2010, 10:56 AM
Wow. This made my week. I love Plex on my macs. I run them on 3 tvs. I can't wait to be able to stream to the ipad. Ill get it and let you know how it goes after everything is updated.

Chris Rogers
Aug 31, 2010, 12:19 PM
Is there any reason to get this app if I already have Air Video and Rowmote?

bluedog3401
Aug 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
Is there any reason to get this app if I already have Air Video and Rowmote?

Plex does more than video. Although Rowmote and AirVideo together may give you a similar mix of features, the Plex interface on the desktop machine, especially if hooked up to a TV, is pretty phenomenal.

I also like Boxee and its app, but it doesn't do streaming.

Chris Rogers
Aug 31, 2010, 05:28 PM
*side note, I use Plex on the big screen

But, I think the Plex app should be free at the moment (although I don't mind supporting them with a purchase since Plex alone is worth more than $0.00) because they're a tad too late to the streaming/remote app game, you know? And it doesn't make sense for someone to purchase the app (even though they may want it (me)) if they already have a solution that works.

IMHO, Boxee was only good on the Apple TV BUT their closed captions were superior to Plex's

Thomas Davie
Aug 31, 2010, 09:18 PM
Just grabbed Plex app and installed it on 32 gb/3g iPad. Able to stream media to iPad through 2 levels of a very wifi unfriendly house. Have not tried 3g yet, but will from work tomorrow. Rebuilding a 20 TB library is taking a looooooonnnnng time.

Tom

mmomega
Aug 31, 2010, 11:27 PM
Just grabbed Plex app and installed it on 32 gb/3g iPad. Able to stream media to iPad through 2 levels of a very wifi unfriendly house. Have not tried 3g yet, but will from work tomorrow. Rebuilding a 20 TB library is taking a looooooonnnnng time.

Tom

Holy hell Tom. I have a ways to go to catch you my friend.

On the Plex app, have it installed on the same, iPad 32/3g, and was streaming a 1080 movie just fine to the bedroom which is my worst room for coverage. All in all, I like it and I've used Plex long enough without paying anything for a phenomenal product. For that price I can skip 1 Venti Caramel Macchiato and call it a win win.