PDA

View Full Version : Does CS5 Improve Suite Performance?

rkdiddy
Aug 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm currently running CS4 on my MBP (specs in sig) running SL and I've been having nothing but issues recently with performance of the CS4 applications (Illustrator, PS and DW). As many users have reported compatibility issues with SL, it has been getting worse lately. Between beach-ball freezes and the programs quitting unexpectedly - I'm about to pull my hair out.

I'm curious for anyone that has upgraded to CS5 do you notice any improvement in performance/stability. Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade, should I upgrade my MBP.

Please help!

Cheers!

eponym
Aug 31, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yes, I saw a significant improvement.

They have a fully functional 30 day demo of the entire suite, just so you know. There's nothing stopping you from trying it out ;)

UTclassof89
Aug 31, 2010, 11:07 PM
Be careful about those 30-day trials...

I installed DW CS5 trial and it prevented Flash CS4 from working at all! (had to uninstall CS5 trial and re-install Flash CS4 to get it working again)

AdeFowler
Aug 31, 2010, 11:14 PM
Alternatively, fnd out why CS4's playing up. Who's to say the problem won't have the same effect in CS5?

chrono1081
Sep 1, 2010, 03:12 AM
Adobe CS3 and especially CS4 were bad for me. Oh, and like another poster stated, be careful of those trials. My CS4 trial completely screwed up my CS3 install (it kept wanting me to pay for CS4 even though I was opening CS3). I had to reformat my entire system :(

Aside from that CS5 is much better although still a bit buggy. Mostly just brushes not showing a ghost. This is really bad if you are texturing or something.

rkdiddy
Sep 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the comments!

I remember reading somewhere that CS3/CS4 + Snow Leopard weren't supported by Adobe. :confused:

I originally thought it was maybe a font issue, but I've gone through with a font check to make sure my fonts aren't corrupt and everything checks out.

It is such a bummer that I'm having issues, to drop that much money on the Adobe Creative Suite and for it to crash like this if very frustrating. :mad:

kbdquadra605
Sep 1, 2010, 09:51 PM
Just thought I should weigh in and let you know that I upgraded to CS5 as soon as it came out. I have the design premium suite and it has worked marvelously for me. The only time I've experienced problems with pinwheel crashes and unexpected quitting was when I had corrupted fonts. I would run font book and see if any fonts come up as malignant or corrupt. Good luck.

powers74
Sep 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
I don't know, I installed CS5 on my mid 09 Octo with the ATI card and Photoshop and InDesign are acting like dogs. Not crashing so much, but just real laggy performance, random hangups and basically overall not very fast. For instance, in InDesign I am putting together a couple pages for a magazine. They have several images a piece and dragging them around is VERY jerky and slow. On the other page are a few images with text wrap and that is SUPER sluggish. Just not what I expected at all. But I gots to have "Content aware" so I have to live with it... Until CS6!

definitive
Sep 5, 2010, 09:11 PM
i've had cs4 since 10.5.4 or so, and now i'm using it on 10.6.4. never had a single issue with the suite. i think the issue you're having is either caused by corrupted system files, or corrupted/outdated cs4 installation. do you have the latest updates installed for your cs4 apps?

chrono1081
Sep 6, 2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the comments!

I remember reading somewhere that CS3/CS4 + Snow Leopard weren't supported by Adobe. :confused:

I originally thought it was maybe a font issue, but I've gone through with a font check to make sure my fonts aren't corrupt and everything checks out.

It is such a bummer that I'm having issues, to drop that much money on the Adobe Creative Suite and for it to crash like this if very frustrating. :mad:

You are correct. Adobe stopped supporting CS3 a a months after I bought it brand new. I was pissed. No updates for me. It worked, but not well. It wouldn't work with Maya and create a PSD network (VERY important!!)

I tried the CS4 install even though I didn't want to give Adobe anymore money, I was willing to upgrade just Photoshop to a working version. Well, CS4 was worse (on two brand new set up machines) and it ruined my CS3 install.

CS5 has been decent for me so far, but still buggy. Not near as bad though and I haven't had a crash yet (I think). I can make PSD networks in Maya so thats really all I use photoshop for anymore.

I use Pixelmator (EXCELLENT program!) for image editing. Its just much better software than Adobe Photoshop. I just wish it had all of the features.