PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about buying from Apple stores

Rocks.
Aug 31, 2010, 03:19 PM
I have never bought anything from Apple retail stores before, so I'm just curious. Can a teenager under 18 go into the Apple Store and buy a $200 iPod using their parent's credit card? This is what I may do, and my mom is letting me use her credit card to buy it and I'll just pay her back. Do they allow kids to pay for something this expensive with a credit card? Do the parents have to be there to buy it, or do we need to show ID or something? I know this is kind of off topic, but I'm just curious.

stridemat
Aug 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
Technically to use use a Credit Card (in the UK) you need to be 18 (I believe) I guess you will have to see if the employee stops you.

bookofzero
Aug 31, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'd suggest you read your cardholder agreement.

skiltrip
Aug 31, 2010, 03:29 PM
No matter what, technically, anyone card is only supposed to be used by the person who's name is on the card.

That said, people break the rule all the time. My wife and I frequently use each other's cards, and no one cares. But we're both adults.

I'd say, it depends on how old you look. If you look like a kid, they'll probably not let you do it.

Why not just order online with your parents card?

LGN
Aug 31, 2010, 03:31 PM
Not sure about credit cards, but they will let you pay cash if you're a minor, my friend bought his iPod at an Apple store (I was there)

aristobrat
Aug 31, 2010, 03:51 PM
No matter what, technically, anyone card is only supposed to be used by the person who's name is on the card.

That said, people break the rule all the time.
OP, that's the correct answer above.

By the rules Apple trains its employees with, no, you can't use your parent's card. If Apple lets you sign for the purchase, your parents can turn-around and contest the charge, as your name wasn't on the card.

Having said that, it's all up to the discretion of the employee that rings you up.

tablo13
Aug 31, 2010, 04:27 PM

battlekid
Aug 31, 2010, 04:34 PM
What about debit? I live in Canada and I have a debit card with my name.
I have a debit card with my parents name that apparently i can use. Big mess.... I just drag my father to the apple store, he buys it with AmEx, I go pay him back. My/parents Debit card is kinda ********* up so i just pay cash or pay my parent back. I use the card only for iTunes. It's linked to my bank account. I'd say just withdraw some cash or write a damn check. YOU write the check (if apple even takes checks). Good luck.... I've used a parents card before but i knew the people who work at the store so np. Just pay them in damn cash.

I buy :apple: with ca$h :D

pimpp
Aug 31, 2010, 04:58 PM
u need to show i d to buy it wit a credit card the best suggestion is tat u buy it on the apple online website

battlekid
Aug 31, 2010, 07:45 PM
Let me put it in HARD SIMPLE WORDS son....

1. Go get the ca$h
2. Go to :apple: store
3. BUY THE DAMN :apple: product!

1. Get your checks
2. Go to :apple: store
3. WRITE THEM A F$#%# CHECK

1. Go to website
2. enter debit/credit card
3. Buy product!

1. Go to :apple: store, drag parent along
2. Parent buys iDevice with AmEx, Visa, MasterCard, ect
3. You pay parent back

YOU GET IT????

gan6660
Aug 31, 2010, 09:25 PM
Depending on on how old you look and if your a boy or girl. If your a boy paying with your moms card you may have a problem but if you a girl and over 15 you shouldnt have any problem. I use a credit card all the time and they never question me. I bought 2 iPads, numerous iPods and accessories, an iPhone and never had a problem.

FirePak
Aug 31, 2010, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, If your going to pick one up in the next week they are probably going to be swamped and not care. They never check my ID and I've bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

cpucrash0
Aug 31, 2010, 10:52 PM
There is a new law that you have to be 18 to have a credit card and have your parents co-sign for it but you can't have a credit card if your under 18.

Today, lending has already tightened up, but itís going to get even worse (or better?) for teenagers. When the new laws take effect you will need to be at least 21 years old to get a credit card without a co-signer or verifiable income. Teens will still be able to apply for a credit card once they turn 18, but to qualify they will need to either have their parents or guardian co-sign or have a job earning enough income to qualify for a card.

Peterson8765
Aug 31, 2010, 10:55 PM
Just go with a parent and they can buy it for you with their card.

SlovakApple
Sep 1, 2010, 02:10 AM
To go there with a parent seems to be the simplest solution I suppose.