Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
After a month of (paid) suscribtion, I continue to be disappointed...I am so stupid that I did not really test it well during the 60 days trial period...

So why am I shocked so far (and'ill continue posting as needed)
1- 100MB upload...it is a joke
2- iDisk has 10GB but each folder is limited to 1GB
3- Let's say I want to share some photos....I put them on my public folders...so far so good...I create a folder call "Photos ABC" and load the photos on the folder...Then I can only share the photos one by one and not the whole folder...I could but copying/pasting the url link...But I would prefer big time to be able to share the whole folder like I can share a file...with the download/share button available and generating a nice email to people I want to send the folder to!!! But I can't!
4- People willing to download the photos in mass (more than 1 at the time) cannot use the download button like when you only select one file...as soon as you select more than one the download button on the right hand side dissapears!!! Only choice is to click on the arrow on the top...but how user friendly is that...the arrows are not so obvious if you are not familiar with MM.

I wish I could get my money back as expect the syncing part of it and the nice interface, the rest is cheap, slow and not so user friendly...it is not all Mr Apple to have a nice interface...it needs to be usable!!!

If any of my points above can be solved and are due to my ignorance then I am glad to learn...but so far it is not what i expected at all!

Willing to hear your thoughts.
X

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Sorry you wasted your money but check out DropBox. I have been using it over the past month and works beeeeeeautifully. O and it's free up to 2GB.

OK I just opened a dropbox account...and so far I am not impressed because once I have created a folder in the public folder and added files into that new folder I cannot share the folder link...you can only share a file link. At the folder level there are only 3 choices: Browse on dropbox website, show deleted files and share this folder. I would rather like the "share this folder" to automatically open a Mail so I can enter a mail from my address book (type the 2 first letter and there you go...)...instead it brings me to the Dropbox website and I need to type the whole mail address(es)...time consuming...otherwise I would also prefer a "copy public link" like you have at the file level...so I could copy/paste it on a mail...but It is not doable. No better than MobileMe so far...

Any advice?

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
OK I just opened a dropbox account...and so far I am not impressed because once I have created a folder in the public folder and added files into that new folder I cannot share the folder link..

Any advice?

Are you trying to share photos? If so, why not use the Photos folder within your Dropbox folder? Instructions are in there, in How to use the Photos folder.rtf

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Are you trying to share photos? If so, why not use the Photos folder within your Dropbox folder? Instructions are in there, in How to use the Photos folder.rtf

Much better, thanks...I can copy the photo album link and send it via a mail...but now that I have tried and went to the website gallery I could not find a way to download photos other than one by one...can you download the whole album at once???

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Not AFAIK.

Then Dropbox is not doing what I expect...wow...none of the services is good enough...MM, Picassa, Flickr, Dropbox, etc...
I would have money and time I would developp a service that fits users...I wonder why all these companies do not...are they trying what they developp? Don't tell me it is a limitation issue...
The worse is that I pay for MM...and it does half of what i'd like....

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
For photos, are you using the MobileMe Gallery?

If you use the gallery, you have the option of downloading all the photos in an album as a zip file by pressing the download button.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
For photos, are you using the MobileMe Gallery?

If you use the gallery, you have the option of downloading all the photos in an album as a zip file by pressing the download button.

Yes but on MM you can't do that:
Let's say I want to share some photos....I put them on my public folders...so far so good...I create a folder call "Photos ABC" and load the photos on the folder...Then I can only share the photos one by one and not the whole folder...I could but copying/pasting the url link...But I would prefer big time to be able to share the whole folder like I can share a file...with the download/share button available and generating a nice email to people I want to send the folder to!!! But I can't!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Yes but on MM you can't do that:
Let's say I want to share some photos....I put them on my public folders...so far so good...I create a folder call "Photos ABC" and load the photos on the folder...Then I can only share the photos one by one and not the whole folder...I could but copying/pasting the url link...But I would prefer big time to be able to share the whole folder like I can share a file...with the download/share button available and generating a nice email to people I want to send the folder to!!! But I can't!

Instead of putting them in the idisk public folder, why not put them in a MobileMe gallery? Then, give people the URL of the gallery and they'll have the option to download all the photos in the gallery with one click.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Instead of putting them in the idisk public folder, why not put them in a MobileMe gallery? Then, give people the URL of the gallery and they'll have the option to download all the photos in the gallery with one click.

You're right. That is what I initially did but decided to try iDisk as some of my friends told me they could open the link or when it worked they wanted to put videos on but it is limited to 100MB for contributors...100MB is nothing...this is ridiculous to pay for such a low upload capacity.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
As far as music albums, I solved the individual-file issue by uploading them as a single .zip file rather than the 15 (or whatever) .mp3 files. Very easy to do. Unfortunately this breaks your ability to play back the files directly off of your iDisk. That feature kind of blows anyway, theres no playlists and you can't turn off the screen and continue to listen. Apple store guy tried to sell my sister on MobileMe by telling her that she could use the 20GB storage as extra music space for her iPhone. I could have punched him in the face.

....back to the topic of the thread...

Apple shouldn't be able to expect revenue on their basic cloud services anymore (mail, calendar, contacts), those are things that Google and others already offer for free. They are a fact of life for the normal computer consumer, just like the Mail.app and iCal used to be. They should be included with every Mac, just like those programs and iLife.

As far as FindMyiPhone, I suppose that they can continue to keep that as a premium service if only because there are no real competitors for it so they might as well.

As far as iDisk, yes significant cloud storage space is still a premium product, but Apple probably needs to start helping you to do more with it. Cloud productivity software integration (for Pages and Numbers especially) could be huge with students and mac-using businesses.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I like MobileMe for calendar syncing. If my wife adds an appointment on her iPhone I'll see it within a minute or so on mine, wherever I am. Is it worth $100 a year? Given our crazy schedules and the need to be in sync, yes. I'd pay less if I knew of a cheaper, as-easy service I could use that does everything else I use MM for in addition to calendar syncing.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Its not bad for the 55$ I paid for it on Amazon.com. For 100$, I'd still buy it. MM makes the iPhone and iPad work for me to be honest.

TheEvilDonut

macrumors member
Its not bad for the 55$ I paid for it on Amazon.com. For 100$, I'd still buy it. MM makes the iPhone and iPad work for me to be honest.
Same here.

My only gripe is with the long-awaited mail rules. When I create a rule for automatically filing incoming emails I'd like to be able to grab emails addresses from my online address book.

As of now (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) I need to memorize the email address I want to create a rule for or copy it BEFORE I go into the mail rules applet and then past it in.

But aside from that, MobileMe is the best there is as far as I am concerned. I actually just canceled and deleted my FREE Google account. :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I really like the web client, well designed. But my gripe is that hotmail does 75% of what MobileMe does, for free. And now Hotmail will offer syncing accross devices soon, in preparation for their mobile phone.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
It seems that your main goal is photo sharing. I will repeat what has been said above. MobileMe gallery works very well for me (for years). Links have never been a problem for me. Upload is fast and easy and automatically makes copies in your iPhoto library. Friends and family can easily download one photo at a time or a whole folder... I think the UI is the nicest one out there.

I have 3-macs, an iPhone and an iPad and MM makes sync easy. I use dropbox for some other things but nothing is as easy or complete as MM in my opinion...

canada eh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
I have had mobile me for 1 year now and I like it, I payed for it another year as well. I find it worth the money, I like having a @me.com email address. I think disk is decent, but I believe the limits are 200gb data transfer/month and 20.4 gb disk space, so if you use it all then it would be worth it. I have an ipad and an ipod touch as well as my mac and to me this is the best way to keep it all in sync all from one place. To me Google's interface is kinda all over the place where me.com has easy access to every thing by clicking the cloud button. Now that I can use mobile me at school I will use it even more.

My only complaint is that I can't upload folders to me.com I would have to mount it as a drive first, I can't install anything on school computers so this is a downside to me. yes it can be a little slow at times, but I haven't noticed it being too bad, or having the servers down alot like some people are reporting.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use MobileMe and it does what I need.

As of the 1GB limitation I think that's a Finder limitation. Anyways I upload files with Transit.app and it lets me upload a couple gigabytes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.