PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAP BATMAN, FaceTime just cost me $50 TODAY to UNSUCCESSFULLY Activate!

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 11:45 AM
WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

OK, this is where I put my foot in my mouth... So I was wrong. If you're on an "Official iPhone Carrier" but one that doesn't yet have iPhone 4 it will attempt to activate using the text # programmed into the settings within the phone.... However, since my carrier where I am at the moment (Globe Telecom, Philippines) isn't officially offering iPhone 4, but is official iPhone provider, it tries to text whichever the network you're phone is "homed" to... for example, mine tries to call the UK as it's a UK unlocked version iPhone 4.

This is REALLY scary because today in messing with trying to activate it by turning it on and off over and over again, I managed to rack up $25 worth of international texts to the UK both on my PRE and POST paid accounts trying over and over to get the damn thing to work, not realizing turning on and off kept re-sending the text (which apparently apple now patched so it sees my country code as +63 and says sorry no can do so just goes unsuccessful).

Be warned. If you're on an unofficial carrier that doesn't offer ANY iphone (so there's no carrier bundle installed), then likely it's bypassing and activating without "phoning home" to the US or UK or HK or wherever, thus allowing the people on unofficial carriers (unofficial being no iphones whatsoever, no carrier bundles, etc) to get instant activation..

This is really disturbing news now, since Apple is making the devices activate in this way without telling users. Even when I called apple they didn't give any details about the method in which it activates.

This is bad. So be forewarned it's sending out international texts to try and activate so you may want to standby until the PushFix is updated and available.

Sorry for being argumentative earlier. Hopefully this message will save you a lot of money in international texts so you're aware of it. It cost me $25 on my prepaid and $25 on my postpaid, so I learned my Lesson for being impatient and keep hitting ON\OFF a billion times (but comon, many of the online boards say to give it a try haha) :-(

WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

Sep 1, 2010, 11:51 AM

OK, this is where I put my foot in my mouth... So I was wrong. If you're on an "Official iPhone Carrier" but one that doesn't yet have iPhone 4 it will attempt to activate using the text # programmed into the settings within the phone.... However, since my carrier where I am at the moment (Globe Telecom, Philippines) isn't officially offering iPhone 4, but is official iPhone provider, it tries to text whichever the network you're phone is "homed" to... for example, mine tries to call the UK as it's a UK unlocked version iPhone 4.

This is REALLY scary because today in messing with trying to activate it by turning it on and off over and over again, I managed to rack up $25 worth of international texts to the UK both on my PRE and POST paid accounts trying over and over to get the damn thing to work, not realizing turning on and off kept re-sending the text (which apparently apple now patched so it sees my country code as +63 and says sorry no can do so just goes unsuccessful).

Be warned. If you're on an unofficial carrier that doesn't offer ANY iphone (so there's no carrier bundle installed), then likely it's bypassing and activating without "phoning home" to the US or UK or HK or wherever, thus allowing the people on unofficial carriers (unofficial being no iphones whatsoever, no carrier bundles, etc) to get instant activation..

This is really disturbing news now, since Apple is making the devices activate in this way without telling users. Even when I called apple they didn't give any details about the method in which it activates.

This is bad. So be forewarned it's sending out international texts to try and activate so you may want to standby until the PushFix is updated and available.

Sorry for being argumentative earlier. Hopefully this message will save you a lot of money in international texts so you're aware of it. It cost me $25 on my prepaid and $25 on my postpaid, so I learned my Lesson for being impatient and keep hitting ON\OFF a billion times (but comon, many of the online boards say to give it a try haha) :-(

Wait, how is this Apples fault?

You imported an iPhone designed to work in the UK. The blame is completely with you, not Apple.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 12:02 PM

You imported an iPhone designed to work in the UK. The blame is completely with you, not Apple.

Are you kidding me? How is my phone designed to work in the UK? On the iPhone UK Website, it states "By purchasing iPhone 4 in the UK, it's SIM-Free, so you may use any GSM sim on any network around the globe"....

And where does Apple state that it sends an international text to activate? So if I were in London, bought it and using it on an O2 sim, then decided to go across the border to Dublin... and I activate Facetime there, it'll charge me international rates to text London, even though I'm on a OFFICIAL sim, if you want to define the word OFFICIAL.

So rather than making stupid-a$% comments that insult and blame me and show your lack of knowledge of what Apple's "Factory Unlocked Open Line" devices are advertised to work with, please just move on to the next thread.

My goal in posting this is to save other people money. Just because you're stuck in the US on AT&T doesn't mean the rest of the world operates like that. Any other country you go to the phones come unlocked so you can use whatever carrier you want. And unlike the US, you can go 200 miles in Europe and cross 4 countries, so your theory is ridiculous.

Sorry everyone for making you read all that... just trying to save some people the aggravation of running into issues if in a similar situation.

TJone
Sep 1, 2010, 12:02 PM
Wait, is this a warning?

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 12:04 PM
Wait, is this a warning?

Sorry I copied it from a regional board I posted in response to a long thread telling people to keep clicking on\off to try getting it activated, so wanted the attention to it, haha. It's a major issue, imagine how much this is adding up to cost consumers.

TJone
Sep 1, 2010, 12:06 PM
Sorry I copied it from a regional board I posted in response to a long thread telling people to keep clicking on\off to try getting it activated, so wanted the attention to it, haha. It's a major issue, imagine how much this is adding up to cost consumers.

I was just kidding. :) I think it is a good issue to mention because this can be an expensive mistake.

dhlizard
Sep 1, 2010, 12:45 PM

You must be the only one who didn't know this ! :eek:
This international text warning has been all over the Internet since jailbreak.me came out and people started trying to use FaceTime on different carriers.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 12:50 PM
You must be the only one who didn't know this ! :eek:
This international text warning has been all over the Internet since jailbreak.me came out and people started trying to use FaceTime on different carriers.

The International Text Warning is only popping up if you are on an unofficial carrier. Globe and many others are OFFICIAL iPhone carriers, but don't yet have the iphone 4, so the prompt doesn't come up.... and Apple doesn't discuss these things.

AeroUK
Sep 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
Are you saying that if I buy an unlocked iphone in UK and take it to America I will get charged more for texting on ATT's network?

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:15 PM
Are you saying that if I buy an unlocked iphone in UK and take it to America I will get charged more for texting on ATT's network?

No, I'm saying if you buy a UK Unlocked Version and take it to any country iPhone (any model) is NOT available in and try to activate it you'll get charged for an international text from your phone to the UK to try to activate FaceTime

dhlizard
Sep 1, 2010, 01:15 PM

No, this is a FaceTime issue. FaceTime initiates a first time contact with another phone by way of a code which is mistaken for an international text message on carriers other than those who offer the iPhone. So when you try to set up FaceTime on a non-official carrier, you rack up a bunch of charges as these "international texts" are being sent out.

For example, since I am in the US, if people try to activate FaceTime on T-Mobile, their network sees the code as an international text message and sends it costing the sender a fee. On AT&T, that does not happen, the code is correctly recognized and FaceTime gets activated as it was designed.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:18 PM
No, this is a FaceTime issue. FaceTime initiates a first time contact with another phone by way of a code which is mistaken for an international text message on carriers other than those who offer the iPhone. So when you try to set up FaceTime on a non-official carrier, you rack up a bunch of charges as these "international texts" are being sent out.

One thing I noticed it if a carrier is completely non-iPhone (never had iphone of any model), it works and activates without initiating an international SMS, however the issue I've run into are in countries like the Philippines (Globe Telecom), and Thailand (DTAC Wireless) where they ARE an official iPhone (3GS but not yet released iPhone 4) however still are using the old carrier file, so I guess that has to do with it.

Blehh, I guess I learned my lesson :-)

dhlizard
Sep 1, 2010, 01:22 PM
One thing I noticed it if a carrier is completely non-iPhone (never had iphone of any model), it works and activates without initiating an international SMS, however the issue I've run into are in countries like the Philippines (Globe Telecom), and Thailand (DTAC Wireless) where they ARE an official iPhone (3GS but not yet released iPhone 4) however still are using the old carrier file, so I guess that has to do with it.

Blehh, I guess I learned my lesson :-)

Those on T-Mobile in US have been affected also. I don't know Jack about UK providers.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
Those on T-Mobile in US have been affected also. I don't know Jack about UK providers.

I'm guessing it'll be addressed in 4.1 since iPod Touch was announced to have FaceTime included, and since it can't send a text I hope they get rid of the text-to-activate crap... not sure why if it relies on WiFi they did this.... another Apple annoyance. Guess it'll be worth it once the kinks are worked out. :-)

dhlizard
Sep 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing it'll be addressed in 4.1 since iPod Touch was announced to have FaceTime included, and since it can't send a text I hope they get rid of the text-to-activate crap... not sure why if it relies on WiFi they did this.... another Apple annoyance. Guess it'll be worth it once the kinks are worked out. :-)

I have read there will be an email option to connect FaceTime. We shall see.
If so, that may open more opportunity for phone to PC/Mac video chats.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:31 PM
I have read there will be an email option to connect FaceTime. We shall see.
If so, that may open more opportunity for phone to PC/Mac video chats.

Honestly FaceTime has such little appeal being inside apple's little box of control. I thought by now we'd see a version of Skype for iPhone and Yahoo for Iphone with video chat support. I thought I heard apple made the technology available for 3rd party apps but I could be wrong.

Bandolier
Sep 1, 2010, 01:31 PM
This is really disturbing news now, since Apple is making the devices activate in this way without telling users.

They don't have to. You're doing something unauthorized so it's justified that you get punished as such.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
They don't have to. You're doing something unauthorized so it's justified that you get punished as such.

Seriously, stop making yourself look more like a guy who's never left the confines of the borders of the US. There's life outside the US, as every other country sells unlocked iPhones and any other phone. Just because you're used to being told what network you must use, and having to sign in blood to a carrier doesn't mean that's how it works in the rest of the world.

In the UK, you buy the phone from apple. It's unlocked and says right on the box. Enjoy this Open-Line (unlocked for you in the box of AT&T's grips) Apple iPhone 4 and it's exciting new features on any GSM network in the world.

So before you go saying that I'm doing anything, maybe you better hop on a plane, fly to London, drop the $907 (in US Dollars to make it easier for you to comprehend) and read the terms and conditions on the package which CLEARLY state there is no requirement to activate on any specific network in the UK or otherwise. It won't take you long because they don't have the 85 page terms and conditions that AT&T makes you agree to.

Before you make uneducated comments, maybe you should research first.

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:41 PM

Using a FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone 4 on any network who will allow it is 100% authorized by Apple. The network can disallow it and prohibit in their terms, but when you buy factory unlocked from Apple there's no requirement to use it on any specific network.

JAILBREAKING your iPhone 4 is specifically unauthorized. So if you open iTunes one day and it detects your jailbroken phone and charges you $500 to your credit card? Oh, I suppose you'd say that's not okay... but you'd have been charged for doing something unauthorized. I got charged for doing something authorized, and their actions resulted in me being charged without my consent.

So get off your high horse and stop saying silliness. It's not my decision that you CHOSE to enter into a contractual relationship with a carrier that doesn't let you take a cr@# without checking with them first ;-)

tempusfugit
Sep 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
you gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get in that boy's hole

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
you gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get in that boy's hole

HAHAHA... OMFG... you seriously just made me laugh out LOUD... for 3 AM (in Manila presently) that's quite a feat. +10000!

Outrigger
Sep 1, 2010, 02:24 PM

you should really stop embarrassing yourself since you either don't know how to read or just a lack of knowledge.

thelatinist
Sep 1, 2010, 03:13 PM
I thought it was well known that activating FaceTime was done via SMS to Apple and that only official carriers were set up not to charge for these SMS messages.

alpineflip
Sep 1, 2010, 03:39 PM
Regardless of where the phone came from activation for FaceTime works by sending a hidden SMS to 2 different gateway's based on what network you are on. In the US the supported carrier is of course AT&T so it tries to contact there gateway server (which is 28818773) and gets activated ONLY if you are on AT&T. If you were in the US but using the iPhone on T-Mobile US or any other carrier (because you are Roaming) it will contact the UK gateway server (+447786205094) hence the reason why people are getting international text messages charges if they are unlocked (factory or soft) If you aren't using a custom carrier bundle the default bundle used on the iPhone if you are on it with T-Mobile US is the "Unknown Carrier Bundle" and if you look in the plist the gateway # it is contacting is the UK # +447786205094, the US # will not work for anyone but AT&T customers not sure if it was designed like that but someone on Tmobile can try and send a text to 28818773 it will fail but if you text +447786205094 it works plus a .20cent charge. Pushfix's Solution for FaceTime which is called MiTime atm is the only working solution for people in the US using Tmobile it's 5.99 but it works, or you can just let it try and activate and just keep getting charges until it activates and once it activates those charges stop but if the SIM is removed or FaceTime is turned off you loose that activation token and you have to get lucky and try to activate again

**The reason why I said if you aren't using a custom carrier bundle is because you can change the gateway # to the ATT any not incur and charges what so ever FaceTime will just never activate so you can leave it off if you didn't want it. Also to test you can change the gateway # to your phone # and you will get the text it sends out which ends up being the sha of your UCCID and some other valvues

pamon
Sep 1, 2010, 04:15 PM
wow. $50? sorry about that. just be more careful and read all the info next time i guess. hope it was worth the facetime. lol

bella92108
Sep 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
wow. $50? sorry about that. just be more careful and read all the info next time i guess. hope it was worth the facetime. lol

Well there was nothing that warned me I'd be charged. I assumed since they said "it works on wifi, not cellular" that meant it'd activate via wifi. How backwards is it that they didn't just create a way to activate through a TCPIP message rather than a text, so strange. They'll have to address how it activates and switch to an internet-based method, be it email or a simple server-connection, since the iPod Touch will need to be activated as well.

the sad part is it didn't even activate successfully, so I got charged for nothing :-(

Bandolier
Sep 2, 2010, 01:44 PM
Just because they work on all GSM networks doesn't mean they have to program the phone to be 100% compatible with all GSM networks around the world.

Mystikal
Sep 2, 2010, 06:01 PM
Wait, is this a warning?

Im not sure....

bella92108
Sep 2, 2010, 09:38 PM
Just because they work on all GSM networks doesn't mean they have to program the phone to be 100% compatible with all GSM networks around the world.

Nope, I don't EXPECT anything to be 100% compatible. However, when you sell a device and advertise on the box that it'll work on any GSM network because it's SIM-free, there should also be a disclaimer that it's going to send a text message to activate. If your car's window sticker says "Has GPS that works in all 50 states" and then you drive to Texas and it says "No map data available, please call to get the TX maps"... you'd be a bit bummed too. Sure it's shared responsibility, but the difference is apple can be somewhat vague in the way they market something, and not forthcoming about the way a product activates like this. My assumption was that this is 2010 and they activated through wifi just like any other internet-enabled device has for years... the requirements said I have to have a phone number and wifi connection. It doesn't even say I have to have internet connection nor text messaging capability.... so I guess it's shared-responsibility....

Alisstar
Sep 2, 2010, 09:56 PM
Ok, let's say that if you had reset your network settings when you got to the Philippines (before trying to activate FaceTime) with your UK factory unlocked phone. Would that have saved you the $50?

Maybe your phone "thought" it was still in the UK, and having reset the network settings upon arrival in the Philippines would let the phone "know" the new network settings for the carrier, thus saving you the added cost.

bella92108
Sep 2, 2010, 10:04 PM
Ok, let's say that if you had reset your network settings when you got to the Philippines (before trying to activate FaceTime) with your UK factory unlocked phone. Would that have saved you the $50?

Maybe your phone "thought" it was still in the UK, and having reset the network settings upon arrival in the Philippines would let the phone "know" the new network settings for the carrier, thus saving you the added cost.

No, the issue is that I DID reset my settings (and FT re-activated just as it does every time you change sims)... and in the Philippines the official iPhone Carrier is Globe Telecom, so I used Globe's sim... the issue, I believe, is that while Globe is "Official iPhone Carrier" they don't have iPhone 4 yet (they have the new 8GB 3GS but no iPhone 4 till October, nor do they have carrier 7.2 yet (still on 7.0)... so my thinking is there's a gap there that the iPhone then assumes to contact the UK activation server. The phones from Hong Kong and Singapore (both fully official) do that when putting in a SIM from Globe. At first I thought it might be Globe, but then I went to Thailand and used a sim in Bangkok from DTAC wireless, which, like Globe, is a carrier who is official iPhone carrier, but hasn't yet released the iPhone 4, nor carrier 7.0... I replicated the issue on several other devices.

So I can only assume that something in the phone's carrier file and FT activation profile talk to one another and the affected people are those in official countries which don't yet have iphone 4, so when you use an unlocked version it looks for that, can't find it, and as a backup fires off the text to the "default" SMS\ft activation server in the UK. It's not just my UK phone, the ones from Hong Kong and Singapore also default to the UK # as well.

Peculiar, ehh? I just hope next week they update to activate through the internet as text-activation seems so 1995 in technology haha.

lPHONE
Sep 2, 2010, 11:51 PM

It's Apple's fault buddy.
They made the iPhone this way. Flawed. With major imperfections.
Holla if ya hear me! :cool:

bella92108
Sep 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
It's Apple's fault buddy.
They made the iPhone this way. Flawed. With major imperfections.
Holla if ya hear me! :cool:

I love how he keeps saying I did something wrong taking a sim unlocked phone (which apple sells on the box as "use on any worldwide GSM network").

Just goes to show how many (not all) Americans are uneducated that outside of the US the cellular industries are very different (arguably better) where phone manufacturers sell you the handset then you take it to any carrier you please. While the phone was manufactured to be sold the UK, it was certainly not manufactured with the sole purpose of being used in the UK.

It's not like the US in the rest of the world. You pick the phone you want then you use it on whatever network you want. You don't have to be forced to go with a carrier that may not even work in your house just because you want the specific phone. Apple doesn't care what carrier you use... only in the US they care because of the AT&T agreement they have due to AT&T being the only carrier that could support the same hardware they sell in the rest of the world.

miamihacker
Sep 3, 2010, 12:24 PM
Wait, is this a warning?

i think so

yci1
Sep 17, 2010, 05:10 PM
Same here in NZ with Vodafone (iPhone 4 carrier)

following links shows how shocking NZ Vodafone look after their iphone customers regarding the face time UK sms.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/ahmad/7345
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=76&topicid=65233

Vodafone NZ simply doesn't want to deal with this problem as they claims it's apple's fault, they will not zero rate these charges despite they are the only official carrier in this country. They suggest us take it to Apple and leave them alone. Vodafone Rep posted on their official Twitter regards customers question about these UK sms, his reply was "It's 20c" then link to a music video "If you don't want an iphone 4 don't buy it"

SHOCKING!!! :eek:

Rang Apple :apple: support, their answer was once you have it on, leave it on, if you click the switch on/off, put a new sim, restore your iphone and setup as new phone or warranty replacement, it will send sms to UK every time (cause a charge). There is nothing they can do except submit this problem to apple feedback and he suggested I should do one myself

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

DISAPPOINTING!!! :(

I am not sure about the rest of the world, at least in NZ we weren't told about having this setting on and off will generate international sms before we sign up the contract. I didn't expect such hidden cost if I got my iphone 4 from the official carrier with a 24 months contract.