Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firestorm79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. Joined it after my wonderful wife bought me the ipad 32G wifi for my birthday (I know).

Anyway I haven't taken it out of the house yet for fear of getting it scratched etc so I'm looking to get a case for it.

Been doing a lot of research with the following parameters in mind:

1. reasonable protection
2. ability to prop up like a photoframe with reasonable stability
3. look neat and cool
4. don't want a frame around the ipad - the beauty of the ipad should not be interfered with

I've narrowed it down to the Yoobao cases - in particular the magic case (V4) or the slim (V5?). I also considered quirky cloak - but didn't see enough reviews on it to make an informed decision on it.

So I have two questions:

1. what are the differences between slim and magic?
2. where can i get them from in the UK?

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Well your going right with Yoobao, they are arguably the most popular cases on these forums.

I'm in the same boat myself, the v4 looks very good, looks professional, well built, nice protection, PU leather, thicker

The slim is well, slim, looks very professional but I'm not sure how it weathers in the long run with thinner material though real leather, not fond of the tab-held closed design though.

pm41m

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
For cases that do not cover the bezel (in addition to the Yoobao's):

If you want a folio case - Cyber Acoustics.

If you don't mind cases where the cover is not permanently attached - the Vaja iVolution or the one from Modulr. Dig around (not sure if I would get dinged for posting vendor links here) and you will find the website for a US based vendor that has black/red and black/green iVolutions in stock. Dig further and you will find a 15% coupon too.

I have the iVolution and I'm happy with it. For now, I prefer this style over the folio.

Webnasty

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
I have the slim and I absolutely love it. It is thin but sturdy. I personally opted for this over the magic because I didn't want a big flap taking up space where it sits, plus I didn't like those extra tabs in the middle that hold it in. That being said, there are a lot of people who love their magic case. It seems that you should choose the drawback that you would be more comfortable with, a strap that keeps it closed (slim) or a base that takes up more room (magic). Either way I think you will be very pleased.

Can't help you out with a UK seller though.

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
I have the Magic Case.

To answer your first question, the difference is that the Magic Case has slotted groves to be able to stand the iPad up in ladscape mode at 4 or 5 various angles. I believe* the slim case does not have this option. I also feel that the Magic case, although I believe* heavier gives me piece of mind that the iPad is safe and sound.

*When I say believe, it is because I am only going with what I remember when I was first comparing the Magic case with others.

The grooves to stand the iPad up is a serious advantage for me and I would not be buying a case that didnt have this or a similar capability with the various angles.

To answer your second question, sorry, I can't help. I am not in the Uk.

Hope this helps.

Firestorm79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
thx guys - think I'll go for the Magic - now to find a UK seller... I don't like getting stuff off ebay, so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Is the back cover more flexible or a hard case?

I have the slim and I absolutely love it. It is thin but sturdy. I personally opted for this over the magic because I didn't want a big flap taking up space where it sits, plus I didn't like those extra tabs in the middle that hold it in. That being said, there are a lot of people who love their magic case. It seems that you should choose the drawback that you would be more comfortable with, a strap that keeps it closed (slim) or a base that takes up more room (magic). Either way I think you will be very pleased.

Can't help you out with a UK seller though.

Is the back of the slim case hard like the magic case or more flexible? I really think this might hit all my "must haves" for a case but just want to know more about the back cover. Reason why is that I had the Yoobao version 2 case which I really didn't mind but where the front cover slid into the back flap caused both the front cover and back cover to puff up and warp making the case look really awful. On this slim cover design - with the strap sliding into the flap there should be no issue with the front cover. If the back cover is more of a solid hard case like the magic (which it appears to be on video) this should be a winner for me.

Webnasty

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Is the back of the slim case hard like the magic case or more flexible? I really think this might hit all my "must haves" for a case but just want to know more about the back cover. Reason why is that I had the Yoobao version 2 case which I really didn't mind but where the front cover slid into the back flap caused both the front cover and back cover to puff up and warp making the case look really awful. On this slim cover design - with the strap sliding into the flap there should be no issue with the front cover. If the back cover is more of a solid hard case like the magic (which it appears to be on video) this should be a winner for me.

The slim's back cover is more of a hard case like the magic. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I still love it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Who's had the slim case for awhile?

I'm beginning to think I'm Miss Fickle iPad Case Buyer. I should be doing reviews or something. Anyway, up until this point I thought I found my perfect case - the Cyber Acoustic case. But now today I received the Yoobao slim. And I think I'm in love again. For me it is absolutely perfect. Love the clips with nothing covering the bezel and also really like the tab that holds the iPad very securely in typing mode. It is probably the most secure in typing mode of all the cases I've tried. And that's what I use 90% of the time.

My question to the group is - how long have you had your slim cases and how are they holding up? Any issues with the clips loosening or cracking? Any issues with the front cover or tab holding up?

I originally bought the Yoobao version 2 case and although I wasn't crazy about the bezel being covered the deal breaker was after 3 days both covers warped and puffed up in the middle.

I bought this slim case in brown and am thinking about also purchasing the black but wanted to know how you all were finding the durability.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.