Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
-Netflix, Youtube, Flickr, MobileMe support.
-No purchasing/syncing - rental model supported.
-$0.99 HD TV rentals.
-Movies priced the same as they have been.
-1/4 the size of current Apple TV, no power brick.
-Streaming supported from PC/Mac
-Cost is only $99

I am pleased by it. I never purchase/sync on my device anyways. I always stream from my computer or rent, so it covers what I need it to do.

Netflix on this is a HUGE plus, it means Netflix now works across my devices, and you have to imagine this will help Netflix out as well.

I'm sure that the lack of syncing will rub some people the wrong way. Thoughts?

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
New AppleTV - "Now with more meh!"

This one will be as big of a hit as the first one will.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
So that means that we can't buy HD movies? Are you KIDDING me? This was going to be the Bluray killer. I love the fact that I have Star Trek, Iron Man and Up in HD that I can watch at any time. Now I have to rent that? What a load.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Am I missing something. How is the new Apple TV better then the old one? Other then being smaller and more energy efficient.

If the old one get a software update how can the new one be any better?

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

How many times do people on average watch their bought DVDs? Because for me the average is probably less than 3 meaning I'd be better off renting than buying.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The lack of synching is a pain for me. Not a big one, but its nice sometimes to be able to sync something to it and then turn the Mac off. We also have a dozen or so kids movies permanently synched to ours so that they can always be watched.

I also don't understand the logic of renting over buying. If I buy a movie I can put it on whatever device I like, so I can watch things when I'm away from home, traveling or working etc. I'll continue to buy physical product or download them from iTunes on my main computer I guess.

brianfast

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
I wonder what the processor in this guy is... Anyway the netflix addition makes this product a winner.

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
^ agreeing here with robpow.

By the way guys, if you want, buy it on your ipod/ipad/mac etc and stream to your apple tv. Much easier IMO. I don't want to be buying stuff on my apple tv.

It looks great and i'm pre ordering ASAP.

shiftyroach

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2006
So my question is, where does this leave existing aTV users?

I don't mind sacrificing size right now if I can just update my firmware to be able to get the few new features.

Thoughts?

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
Wooo
They fixed the problem of syncing back from appletv to iTunes
By killing sync

Odd move

I suppose I can still purchase tv shows and movies to my mini and stream it
But that means getting off my arse and walking to another room

As stated earlier

Apple tv, with more meh

rickeym

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2005
You can stream those from your computer to the new AppleTV.

So that means that we can't buy HD movies? Are you KIDDING me? This was going to be the Bluray killer. I love the fact that I have Star Trek, Iron Man and Up in HD that I can watch at any time. Now I have to rent that? What a load.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
So my question is, where does this leave existing aTV users?

I don't mind sacrificing size right now if I can just update my firmware to be able to get the few new features.

Thoughts?

I was hoping he would mention something about current apple tv owners. I really hope there is a software update coming.

simulacra

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Still nothing about new markets for video rentals or otherwise, the new AppleTV will be as useless for us in scandinavia like the previous one. :/

Imsuperjp

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I think the new apple tv fits my needs perfectly and will probably be buying one for each bedroom to stream from my HTPC. Does anyone know if it has to be a certain video format for apple tv?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.