Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Sorry Apple, just won't cut it for me. Looking for a box that does Hulu and Netflix. Appletv is too limited. They should learn from the iPod Touch. There is a reason it beats the less expensive iPod nano, APPS. Dumbest thing Apple has done in years.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Sorry Apple, just won't cut it for me. Looking for a box that does Hulu and Netflix. Appletv is too limited. They should learn from the iPod Touch. There is a reason it beats the less expensive iPod nano, APPS. Dumbest thing Apple has done in years.

Totally agree. With the GoogleTV that's coming out soon, this was a HUGE missed opportunity to get ahead of the game.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Agree as well, very disappointed. Netflix is a nice addition but not worth replacing my existing :apple:TVs. And while I think the Airplay feature is pretty cool, I don't really envision using it. Do a lot of people have content on their iOS devices that they don't have available to stream from their computer already?--I sure don't. If I'm in my house, why would I be watching a movie on my iPad/iPhone when I could watch on one of my televisions in the first place?

Unless Apple plans on adding an App Store sometime in the near future as they did with the initial iPhone/iPod Touch, I think :apple:TV is going to remain a 'hobby' in most people's eyes.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The thing is now only $99.....$129 down...

And people STILL complain. :confused:

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
I'm with you, I think it's on the horizon. Makes perfect sense to enable App store on iTV. I'm wondering if you can stream from Apps using AirPlay- if so then you can use Hulu. At least I assume so.

I agree. Its also while I'll wait to buy one until the app store appears...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
bonsaidetective said:
Took away the hard drive and added Netflix. Not worth $129. Now I have to leave my computer on just to play music.

I disagree. Great update in my eyes. They've done what they sought out to do, and that was to simplify the setup. Local storage is getting less and less important as we continue to move towards more streamlined OTA streaming and syncing, and cloud based services.

I'll gladly take the $99 Apple TV without HD. My Macs are always on anyway. If the Apple TV simply just "wakes up" your Mac to get the streaming content and then after usage, let's your Mac go back to sleep, then I'll be very happy with that setup. At that point I don't see the point of an internal HD.

Edit: For me it doesn't make sense to be redundant and have copies of media all over the place in the same building. Just have the content in one place and let streaming take care of the rest.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Some thoughts:

"Give it time." Yeah... I will, by not buying this model. Even if they update the software next year and give it the app store, I bet at that time there will be a 1080p model finally. Also we have no idea if even a small bit of RAM such as 8GB is inside this model to hold apps, it may literally have next to no memory beyond what is needed to hold the OS making it impossible to support applications in a future update. Apple is also more likely to make improvements only too a new model since the price ($99) is more like the yearly "replace your device with a new one "iPod" model" then a device you expect to last many years.

Perhaps next year there will be an app store, 1080p model for $99 but there may be no update at all for this years "cheap" throw away models.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
I have all my music and photos stored locally on my current AppleTV, more out of convenience then anything as i very rarely listen or view them on it so i can live with having ot stream them if i decide to use them.

Also, although i'm not happy there is no app store on the device, i think Apple have done the right thing in not throwing an app store on it just for the sake of it

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
I think this update was all about transitioning it to be an iOS device, and cutting the price to make it more appealing. I expect an ATV app store to come along within the next year.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
The thing is now only $99.....$129 down...

And people STILL complain. :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if people complaining already have one. Thus far it doesn't seem that the platform is worth upgrading to if you already have the older version.

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if people complaining already have one. Thus far it doesn't seem that the platform is worth upgrading to if you already have the older version.

Exactly right in my case. My old appletv can already stream from my computer, plus have a hard drive. I'm not interested in $.99 rentals. If the appletv isn't jailbroken to take apps soon, I'll be looking at a Roku or Googletv. I want to disconnect my computer from my tv. This new appletv just won't do that.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Agree as well, very disappointed. Netflix is a nice addition but not worth replacing my existing :apple:TVs. And while I think the Airplay feature is pretty cool, I don't really envision using it. Do a lot of people have content on their iOS devices that they don't have available to stream from their computer already?--I sure don't. If I'm in my house, why would I be watching a movie on my iPad/iPhone when I could watch on one of my televisions in the first place?

We have a Bingo.

My first thought was "way cool" but then I got to thinking "wait, if its on my iPad/Pod/Phone the only way it got there was by me putting it there from my computer?"

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

We have a Bingo.

My first thought was "way cool" but then I got to thinking "wait, if its on my iPad/Pod/Phone the only way it got there was by me putting it there from my computer?"

Not bingo, think outside the house. If you had a friend who had Apple TV, wouldn't it ultimately be more convenient to bring an iOS device full of movies to begin streaming?

There is definite power in this feature. Enabling streaming off an iOS device enables for incredible portablity of your media library on the go, without cables attached. Of course the only caveat is there should be another Apple TV at the other area, but I really like this feature.

It seems to me like a more elegant and streamlined answer to the EVO's HDMI output.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Not bingo, think outside the house. If you had a friend who had Apple TV, wouldn't it ultimately be more convenient to bring an iOS device full of movies to begin streaming?

There is definite power in this feature. Enabling streaming off an iOS device enables for incredible portablity of your media library on the go, without cables attached. Of course the only caveat is there should be another Apple TV at the other area, but I really like this feature.

It seems to me like a more elegant and streamlined answer to the EVO's HDMI output.

You mean as opposed to just simply carrying an HDMI cable and plugging your EVO into ANY HDMI TV and having video? I am sure every house in America will have an Apple TV to prevent my having to do that and make the Apple soultion more elegant right? :)

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL

Apple doesn't need another app store.

What if Apple opens up AirPlay to iPhone and iPad apps? Then the iPhone/iPad MLB At Bat app could stream video to the Apple TV. What about games? Let the iPad or iPhone do the decoding, stream the video to your TV, and use those devices as a gamepad.

It'll be interesting to see where Apple takes AirPlay.

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Apple doesn't need another app store.

What if Apple opens up AirPlay to iPhone and iPad apps? Then the iPhone/iPad MLB At Bat app could stream video to the Apple TV. What about games? Let the iPad or iPhone do the decoding, stream the video to your TV, and use those devices as a gamepad.

It'll be interesting to see where Apple takes AirPlay.

Seems a little complicated just to watch TV. I can see it more with games. But I like to play on my iPad while I watch tv. With AirPlay I can't do that. Not to mention that an iPad / iPhone / iPod touch is an expensive add on to watch tv.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

That would be a worthwhile use for it but (an let me preface I don't know much about all of AirPlay's features/limitations), why do I suspect that access to an :apple:TV via AirPlay will be tied to the iTunes account on that device? Sounds right up Apple's alley. Apple wants you to buy that content yourself, not share :rolleyes:.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
That would be a worthwhile use for it but (an let me preface I don't know much about all of AirPlay's features/limitations), why do I suspect that access to an :apple:TV via AirPlay will be tied to the iTunes account on that device? Sounds right up Apple's alley. Apple wants you to buy that content yourself, not share :rolleyes:.
****, I didn't think about that. That is what they're doing with Home Sharing so it makes sense that they'd do it here as well.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You mean as opposed to just simply carrying an HDMI cable and plugging your EVO into ANY HDMI TV and having video? I am sure every house in America will have an Apple TV to prevent my having to do that and make the Apple soultion more elegant right? :)

Yea, you're right, but IF there was an Apple TV, you have a nice wireless solution, so IF said desitination had the setup, I still believe it makes for a more elegant solution. I mean, no attaching cables. Completely wireless. Gotta love that. :)

You bring up a good point. Yes, we don't know the limitations, but Steve also didn't mention anything specifically during the keynote. But if home sharing is part of this whole equation, then that surely squashes my more "elegant" approach. :rolleyes:

However, I am still strongly inclined to believe that it won't deal with home sharing, because the content is only streaming from your iOS device. If we think about this for a second, I truly believe Apple was very smart in gimping the Apple TV to be without an HD. So when you go to a friend's house, anything you stream will never remain on an Apple TV, hence it's YOUR content on YOUR iOS device. Surely, you're not about to leave your iPad or iPhone at your friends house, now would you? That said, there are no anti-piracy laws being broken here, is there? Nothing here is being done illegally. And you aren't "copying" any data for any permanent storage on any device.

This is why I think you'll be able to use your iOS device on ANY new Apple TV in ANY household. It's quite brilliant if you think about it. Like I said before, it's like carrying your media library digitally on a device, akin to used to bringing a ton of DVDs to a friend's house for a movie night. This is the same exact thing, only now completely digitally and wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.