Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
am i reading the tech specs right that it will play avi files? or just audio?
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

i'd love to have something that would allow me to stream downloaded avi movies directly onto my tv. currently i connect my MBP to my tv with HDMI cables. i also like the idea of streaming music and album art to my tv (which again, i connect my MBP to my tv). for $99 it seems like a great deal, but if it doesn't stream avi it's not worth it to me.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've just noticed that as well:-

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Seems pretty limited through for avi. The old ATV spec are no longer on the apple site so I can't compare them.

Lefty29

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
AVI = Divx

I think what we all really want to know is:

Will it play Divx encoded AVI's.

Unfortunately I find this doubtful and will likely be a deal-breaker for me.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I think what we all really want to know is:

Will it play Divx encoded AVI's.

Unfortunately I find this doubtful and will likely be a deal-breaker for me.

No Divx I'm afraid. Apple only really want you to buy/rent from iTunes. I'm in same position, have 500GB of .avi and not going to convert the lot!

I picked up an LG DVD player that supports Divx, upscaling and has USB port for £50. Or there are other media boxes which will stream whatever you like (within reason!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.