PDA

View Full Version : No Hulu Plus?




Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 1, 2010, 03:57 PM
So Hulu Plus currently isn't available with the new Apple TV am I right?

I guess this is something that could possibly be added in the future with a software update/ downloading an "app"?

With access to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and local TV I can imagine 90% of my desires being satisfied and the other 10% can be iTunes rentals. This would probably only cost $20-$30 which is less than half the price that I would pay for cable.



frunkis54
Sep 1, 2010, 04:03 PM
So Hulu Plus currently isn't available with the new Apple TV am I right?

I guess this is something that could possibly be added in the future with a software update/ downloading an "app"?

With access to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and local TV I can imagine 90% of my desires being satisfied and the other 10% can be iTunes rentals. This would probably only cost $20-$30 which is less than half the price that I would pay for cable.

yeah i have both netflix and hulu plus and use hulu way more. but no not avail yet......:(

GermanSuplex
Sep 1, 2010, 04:06 PM
Netflix "watch instantly" is mainly older titles, whereas Hulu is newer material and competes more with Apple. It would be interesting to see what happens if Netflix were to add newer titles and a different paid service.

I wish Apple could secure a deal similar to Netflix. In the meantime though, Netflix is ace, I'm glad to see it coming to aTV.

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 1, 2010, 04:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Netflix "watch instantly" is mainly older titles, whereas Hulu is newer material and competes more with Apple. It would be interesting to see what happens if Netflix were to add newer titles and a different paid service.

I wish Apple could secure a deal similar to Netflix. In the meantime though, Netflix is ace, I'm glad to see it coming to aTV.

Yeah I can definitely see why apple would want to leave it off... But i don't want them to!! Haha

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 1, 2010, 04:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any chance the hulu app on iOS devices will be able to use airplay to send hulu to the apple tv?

mytoki
Sep 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any chance the hulu app on iOS devices will be able to use airplay to send hulu to the apple tv?

+1 this would be my ideal setup

gkarris
Sep 2, 2010, 04:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any chance the hulu app on iOS devices will be able to use airplay to send hulu to the apple tv?

Probably not... It's an Apple iOS 4 feature, and Apple probably won't make it available to Developers to integrate into their App.

kepner
Sep 2, 2010, 05:20 PM
Any chance the hulu app on iOS devices will be able to use airplay to send hulu to the apple tv?

I bet any video that plays through the standard iOS QuickTime video player will work with AirPlay. Unfortunately, Hulu Plus clearly does not use the standard video player, so who knows?

faith4more
Sep 2, 2010, 05:27 PM
I can see why the would leave it off because would eat into .99 tv show rentals. But it also does that on iOS devices as well as macs and they allow hulu plus on those devices.

So we will see. Really hoping.

8CoreWhore
Sep 2, 2010, 06:01 PM
It's not up to Apple. Hulu's deal with the content providers stipulates the shows DO NOT end up on a TV. Computers only. This is why Hulu fought to get outside Boxee.

kepner
Sep 2, 2010, 06:17 PM
It's not up to Apple. Hulu's deal with the content providers stipulates the shows DO NOT end up on a TV. Computers only. This is why Hulu fought to get outside Boxee.

Hulu Plus works on the Xbox 360. Their new deals with content providers for Hulu Plus allows this. It is up to Apple.

ovrlrd
Sep 2, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hulu Plus works on the Xbox 360. Their new deals with content providers for Hulu Plus allows this. It is up to Apple.

Exactly, I just got a new Samsung TV a few weeks ago and it has Hulu Plus support built into it. That is exactly why they charge for Hulu Plus, it's a new content deal and is not categorized as "free" like the Hulu website.

8CoreWhore
Sep 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
Whoop... didn't catch that.

pooryou
Sep 2, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hulu Plus works on the Xbox 360.

Not yet, supposed to happen in 2011.

cpucrash0
Sep 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
Hulu Plus works with the Playstation 3 but you need to have playstation plus which is $50 a year.

bigpatky
Sep 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hulu Plus works with the Playstation 3 but you need to have playstation plus which is $50 a year.

playstation plus is only required during the hulu plus preview period. they haven't said (afaik) how long this preview period would last but speculation had it ending sometime this fall.

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 9, 2010, 02:22 PM
so.... could airplay possibly be used in the hulu plus app?

newagemac
Sep 9, 2010, 02:52 PM
It appears airplay can be used with any app that uses the built in QuickTime player on ios devices. However, someone else said hulu isn't using the built in video player so that remains to be seen.

tripjammer
Sep 9, 2010, 04:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any chance the hulu app on iOS devices will be able to use airplay to send hulu to the apple tv?

Man you are really thinking outside the box? Hmmm this is entirely possible for sure.