Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I know the front side bus is slightly faster on the pb and the memory also runs faster on the pb but from a users prospective is there really that big of a difference in the processing speeds of the two???

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
I don't know how reliable their testing is (I don't mean it's bad, I mean I have no idea how to judge such a thing), but you can probably piece together comparisons from here:

http://macspeedzone.com/index.php

They don't have a head-to-head, last I checked, but both are tested.

Remember also that with the PBooks you are getting faster/better video cards, with more VRAM, faster HD options, gigabit ethernet (not on 12"), FireWire 800 (not on 12"), PC Card slot (not on 12"), the ability to add an external non-mirrored display, etc., in addition to the faster bus/RAM.

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
i see that the PB uses different ram...as if it really matters? does it or does it not?

im not sure whats the BIT rate on the PB's? 32? only G5's are 64 right?

thanks!

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Jdm_rsx said:
i see that the PB uses different ram...as if it really matters? does it or does it not?

im not sure whats the BIT rate on the PB's? 32? only G5's are 64 right?

thanks!

Yes a G3 and G4 are 32bit chips

A G5 is a 64bit chip

The powerbooks have PC2700 ram and the iBooks have PC2100 ram.

Not much of a difference, even the system bus is very close. Buy an iBook if you want to save money. Buy a PowerBook if you need the audio IN ports etc..

It has already been noted that the iBook and PowerBook 12" performance is very very close and its not worth to spend the extra on the powerbook and much better to settle for the iBook unless you need the ADVANCE features and ports.

Stick with the iBook.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
What matters is the mhz that the ram opperates on the pb at 333 mhz vs. 266 on the ibook. Also the front side bus on the pb is 167mhz vs. the 133 front side bus on the ibook. The front side bus has a lot to do with how fast the processor runs think of the p4 mobile with a 533 front side bus vs. the home desktop p4 running at an astonishing 800 mhz front side bus. Now i already know the pb is faster and what not but the question here is from a users prospective meaning someone who has the pb and the has used an ibook or vice versa did you really notice that big of a difference in the processing power?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
m a y a said:
Yes a G3 and G4 are 32bit chips

A G5 is a 64bit chip

The powerbooks have PC2700 ram and the iBooks have PC2100 ram.

Not much of a difference, even the system bus is very close. Buy an iBook if you want to save money. Buy a PowerBook if you need the audio IN ports etc..

It has already been noted that the iBook and PowerBook 12" performance is very very close and its not worth to spend the extra on the powerbook and much better to settle for the iBook unless you need the ADVANCE features and ports.

Stick with the iBook.
Why would i need audio in ports? Can i plug in a microphone on an ibook and record? Can i plug in external speakers on the ibook?

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
in a way, i believe that PB may have a higher resell value in the near future...if u ever plan on sellin it anyways

extra video always helps...i suppose.....so i duno...its too late for me...i already sold the iBOOK and got the PB..

i only have 256 ram now i dont want to shell out another 200-300 ram....at once...so i get ram w/my next paycheck = )

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Jdm_rsx said:
in a way, i believe that PB may have a higher resell value in the near future...if u ever plan on sellin it anyways

extra video always helps...i suppose.....so i duno...its too late for me...i already sold the iBOOK and got the PB..

i only have 256 ram now i dont want to shell out another 200-300 ram....at once...so i get ram w/my next paycheck = )

*cough* *cough* that is what you think that a PowerBook has a high resell value think again, its worse unless you plan on selling it within 3-6 months of purchase. An iBook you will not lose as much, since even if you spend 999 on it the most you will loose is 100-200 in value, can't say the same for the powerbooks.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
Why would i need audio in ports? Can i plug in a microphone on an ibook and record? Can i plug in external speakers on the ibook?

Some audiophiles like to take they tapes and records and convert them to digital files and audio in on a powerbook helps also for recording in a music studio.

If you know no clue what these things are chances are you will not require them and not use them so I would go with the iBook. You can also buy USB audio in products if you plan to go that way. :)

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
i think powerbooks have better resell value BECAUse they are better, more options and well rounded in most areas ...faster is always better, there are some ppl like you...that wnats to save money and get something decent / cheap...there will be others that want something decent but GOOD ...

get the idea? i dont think its cuz of the small differences that was listed above

i mean specs speakin...ya notmuch

for the price difference, im sure it has to do something overall about the PB...

i try to be neutral about both sides...and not to be bias...or put anyone down with my comments...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
PowerBook is hardly worth the purchase right now if you are looking at a 12". You can add bluetooth to the iBook. For sound in just purchase an iMic. For monitor spanning you try doing to the firmware crack, not recommend though.

If you have to have native DVI support and a DVD burner in a 12" package then the PowerBook is the obvious choice. Other than that I would just get the iBook.

jon

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I would hardly pay an extra $600 for faster ram, faster bus and 32mb extra video ram. If you need it now go ibook(unless money is no object), but I would advise everyone to wait till MSWF in January.

Just my 2 cents.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Jdm_rsx said:
MSWF

huh? whats that..?

sorry im lost...

It's supposed to be MWSF, MacWorld San Francisco. It's rumoured that new Powerbooks will be launched there.

Even if they're not, they're sure to come in the first couple of months of the year, the current models have been around since April.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
thequicksilver said:
It's supposed to be MWSF, MacWorld San Francisco. It's rumoured that new Powerbooks will be launched there.

Even if they're not, they're sure to come in the first couple of months of the year, the current models have been around since April.
I wouldn't hold your breath on anything. If you need it get it now. I played the waiting game for new g5's starting in January of last year when updates were "imminent". 6 months later I bought a powerbook and am happy I did 'cause the VERY LATE g5 update was pretty dissapointing.

Now I'm looking to buy a new g5 and the waiting game is starting all over again. Only reason I'm doing it is because I currently have the 1.33 g4 powerbook to tide me over for 6-8 weeks even though it's not exactly a powerhouse. Don't depend on apple for what SHOULD be updated because you're setting yourself up for dissapointment.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Well im not looking at the 12 inch model its between the 14 inch ibook and the 15 inch powerbook. Heres what ill use it for...Web Surfing,Games,Word Processing office for mac,Instant messenger,Studio mx to design web pages,Photo shop,I also have a digital video camera and i want to be able to edit my movies with music and text and things like that,but heres the thing i use a pretty fast desktop pc right now that has a amd 1800 in it and 512 memory running at 333 i think or 400,128 nvidia video card, and a 120 gig hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm's,I am not really looking for a desktop replacement notebook because i enjoy building pc's and i am going to be building another one pretty soon so i dont need the mac to be my desktop replacement but i wanted it for its secure os and for the portability like being able to go to the library at school and work on a web page or type a paper.Also to watch movies on it as well.So which one do you guys think would be better for me

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
im a little different story

i just want the fastest / SMALLEST laptop / lightest..

to me money isn't really a issue.. just want what i need but its always good to get advice from pro's like you guys...

= )

ill be gettin the educational discount on the laptops....

its kind of like 1450? with tax for the 12inch PB

i have a friend that works at compusa to help me buy ram for a cheaper price

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
in a way if i get local, warranty and etc is nice

online there is always defective products...and return/exchange is always a hassle, i'd probably have to see the differences?

what does newegg have?

where should i look at?

thanks guys!

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
I got them next to each other

I'm typing this on a 12" PB sitting next to a 12" iBook. The PB has 1.33MHz, the iBook has 1.2. Don't ask me why, but the PowerBook feels A LOT faster! The iBook has a definite lag in Quartz Extreme performance when resizing windows and so on, and it's so much HEAVIER. No way, go for the PowerBook!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
pianojoe said:
I'm typing this on a 12" PB sitting next to a 12" iBook. The PB has 1.33MHz, the iBook has 1.2. Don't ask me why, but the PowerBook feels A LOT faster! The iBook has a definite lag in Quartz Extreme performance when resizing windows and so on, and it's so much HEAVIER. No way, go for the PowerBook!

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
pianojoe said:

You failed to mention how much ram both systems have. For all we know that PB has 512 ram and the iBook 256 that will make the PB more responsive which is a give.

I would like you to throw both book across the room to a sofa and we shall see what each book is made of. Weight is not an issue however the PB will bend (warp) scratch,etc...read the Apple forums please. :rolleyes:

PB is not worth the money at present unless your company is buying it for you.

The iBook is rugged for a reason the PB well lets say you sit out in the sun, I do not need to connect the dot here. :)

One would be a fool to buy any PB so late in the game if you bought it in May that is understandable.

The screen hack on the iBook, well lets say I have not seen anything tragic happen by doing so.

Whatever if you want to spend the extra go for it, not my money and don't complain after MWSF 2005 that you have something the value of an iBook. :rolleyes: <--- Go ahead make Apple rich.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
m a y a said:
You failed to mention how much ram both systems have. For all we know that PB has 512 ram and the iBook 256 that will make the PB more responsive which is a give.
OK, the PB has 1,25GB, the iBook has only 768GB. But, come on, resizing windows, while only the Finder is running?

m a y a said:
I would like you to throw both book across the room to a sofa and we shall see what each book is made of. Weight is not an issue however the PB will bend (warp) scratch,etc...read the Apple forums please. :rolleyes:
Yes, the iBook is of a sturdier built. Still, I do not recommend tossing any notebook around. The PB's aluminium gets scratched easily.

m a y a said:
PB is not worth the money at present unless your company is buying it for you.
I'm glad I didn't go for the iBook. More HD space and WiFi.

I used to have iBooks (300, 500, 600, 800 MHz) until I "switched" to PowerBooks (867, 1.33). Never looked back. I carry this thing wherever I go (that's why I dig 12"), so size and weight is an issue.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
Main reason I bought the PB 12.1in model is I needed it small and I wanted to play a game on it. 32mb of ram for a vid card is such a joke. Even 64mb nowadays. But at least I can run most stuff available for the mac. My Dell Inspiron 6800 kicks the apples around, but then again I could drop the Dell on the floor and crack cement because of how heavy it is.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
pianojoe said:
OK, the PB has 1,25GB, the iBook has only 768GB. But, come on, resizing windows, while only the Finder is running?

I am not even going to mention how much of a difference an extra 512 of ram speeds up OS X. You clearly have given the PowerBook the RAM advantage.

Running a test with the "Finder" is just not recommended since many people will attest to the Panther Finder as being more sluggish than compared to the Jaguar Finder. And I have also noticed that Panthers Finder feels slower not as responsive as Jaguars Finder.

Please conducts a different test maybe PS CS or something, Since I also tested the Panther Finder on a SP PMG5 1.8 with 256 ram it also felt sluggish.

pianojoe said:
Yes, the iBook is of a sturdier built. Still, I do not recommend tossing any notebook around. The PB's aluminium gets scratched easily.

The iBook is built for "The Student" meaning many students drop they books or bags on the floor without thinking, etc... Besides with an iBook you don't need to think about if you dropped it off the table if it has broken some few visual tests is good enough. With the PowerBook the Al will be bent and so on, all have been reported in the Apple Forums. Tragic.

pianojoe said:
I'm glad I didn't go for the iBook. More HD space and WiFi.

You must be on something the iBook on WiFi will pull in signal strength from a far source, I cannot say the same for the PowerBooks. Remember the Ti, had the worst WiFi reception thus Apple made changes and now even though the Al is better the iBook beat both combined in range and strength. This is also well noted. :)

HDD space really depends on the users, if you are using GrageBand and playing games sure you will run out of space however Apple is not going to give you on PAR HDD size and rpm to its PowerBook line since it will be stepping on each others toes and then there is the Price factor you are paying a lot more for a PowerBook so why would an iBook have on PAR HDD performance. You can always change the internal HDD with one that is faster than the PowerBook and larger as well.

pianojoe said:
I used to have iBooks (300, 500, 600, 800 MHz) until I "switched" to PowerBooks (867, 1.33). Never looked back. I carry this thing wherever I go (that's why I dig 12"), so size and weight is an issue.

That is great that you have been using iBooks for such a long time however I have noticed that when the iBooks were launched there looked cool however they lacked much in the hardware aspect. Not so as of recent the iBooks look like the work horses of the portable line, Price and Performance. The PowerBooks have the Performance and Looks however not the price and given that going from a 1.2GHz G4 to a 1.4GHz G4 is not much of a difference its not worth the extra unless you require the additional ports.

When you get down to it you will have to baby your PowerBook since you spent a lot on it, the iBook on the other hand since you didn't pay as much and get similar performance you tend to put it through the ringer and squeeze all that you can out of it.

If the PowerBooks had features and performance that attracted me I would surly buy a 17" PowerBook, however nothing about it at present makes me want one and even though I can afford the PowerBook 17" I have to ask myself that in the next revision the sub 1000 iBook will be on PAR with this batch of PowerBooks I cannot justify loosing that much in a short about of time. An iBook as I have mentioned before you will loose 50-100 USD on it however its a smaller amount than loosing 300-600 USD on a PowerBook. What happens if Apple drops the prices of the PowerBook tomorrow you cannot sell your old technology for the same price you have to sell it for lower and in that factoring the iBook is best to recoup ones cost. A 999 USD iBook sold in a 3-6 month used will loose 50-100 USD no bad considering that is stock if you add more ram in it you might only loose less.

The G4 PowerBooks have been a disappointment from the start since it was introduced in the Ti case and now the Al case, only reason why Apple pushed for a 17" screen and BL keyboard these things though nice removes the powerbook out of the portable idea at 17". G4 in an iBook well that is well suited.

Anyhow people will all justify they purchases on a machine no matter what to put themselves at ease. I have quite a few Mac's I see no reason why people should put down the iBook just to make the PowerBook LOOK Powerful <----- what a joke?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.