PDA

View Full Version : Where's the antenna on the new iPod Touch?

Mjmar
Sep 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
There's usually a plastic part on the iPod Touch that houses the antenna... any ideas on Apple did to avoid it this time around?

sportsfrk214
Sep 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm happy someone mentioned this. I posted a thread last night about how I thought a camera signaled the end of the chrome backing. My thought process was that if a camera occupied the space the black plastic occupied, then that would mean Apple would have to switch to a back material that allowed the Wi-Fi to pass through. The only flaw in my argument, I thought, was if someone said "Well they could just put the black plastic on the other side," which I argued would not happen because it would not be aesthetically pleasing.

But apparently I was wrong. Apple found a way to retain the chrome backing even though they removed the black plastic antenna cover. I'm baffled as to how they did this. I look forward to a teardown that will show us how they did it. Maybe they somehow found a way to do it through the front of the device, like the ambient light sensor? Or maybe the signal passes through one of the several openings on the device? Those are bad theories I know, but I'm baffled as to how they did it. It's sad that they seemed to go so far out of their way to retain the chrome.

SchneiderMan
Sep 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
Because they metal doesn't overlap on the edges, I think that's what allows for the new design.

iMac0765
Sep 1, 2010, 07:44 PM
There is a 0.5mm gap surrounding the device which allows the Wi-Fi to seep through. Put it face down or slap a case on it and there will be no reception- err... I mean, signal! :p

Of course, this is all just mumbo, jumbo. :rolleyes:

pingualoty
Sep 1, 2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/9-1-10-ipodtouchfcc06.jpg

From the FCC teardown the yellow tab on the bottom (left in the pic) looks like the antenna in this photo?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/9-1-10-ipodtouchfcc03.jpg

sportsfrk214
Sep 3, 2010, 05:45 PM
Would love to see some more thoughts on this topic. I'm surprised people aren't more interested in this. I'm really looking to forward to seeing how they did it, and here's to hoping the reception strength isn't compromised.