Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new iPod nano?

• Yes

Votes: 53 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • It could be better, but I'll buy it.

Votes: 17 14.8%

• Total voters

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
The new nano that just came out may look pretty nice with all of its colors and its flashy looks, but what it all comes down to is features and performance. The new nano 6G in my eyes basically downgrades what a great product the nano 5G was. The nano 6G doesn't have any real improved or new features except for a different User Interface and a tiny 1.54" multi-touch display. It excludes the video camera, the much bigger 2.2" display, the tactile support of a click wheel which many loved, a microphone, a speaker, cover flow, an alarm clock, and of course the awesome nano design and 9 colors. Apple as well thinks they can get away with it costing the same $149 for an 8GB model and $179 for a 16GB model, is just plain ridiculous. What do you guys think of this new nano?

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I don't think it's a "downgrade"...

- Video camera was useless and terrible quality (640x480 IIRC). No loss here. You couldn't even take pictures with it, never mind the horrid resolution.
- 2.2 vs 1.54 is not a big deal, in fact, are you bringing this up because you honestly watched movies on that screen? :p
- Tacticle clickwheel support is subjective. I'm a fan of touch interfaces so this is awesome for me, you might disagree, but this isn't a downgrade as much as it is a change, which some will like, and some will dislike. You still have external volume controls, which is a plus.
- Mic/speaker...the loss of a mic is definitely a downside of the new model, as is the alarm clock (due to the fact there's no speaker). This is the only actual downgrade if you ask me.
- "awesome nano design" -> subjective, again. I prefer this design, for one.
- Cover flow is useless (my opinion unless you're on an iPhone)

I think it's a step towards the future and away from the old we're used to. The clickwheel is legendary, yet maybe it's time to let it go, with Apple moving towards touch interfaces for their mobile devices such as the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. I'm liking the interface and the intuitiveness of it, as well as the possibilty for a Nano-watch. :D

My 2 cents.

I'll be picking one up soon enough. :)

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I don't think it's a "downgrade"...

- Video camera was useless and terrible quality (640x480 IIRC). No loss here. You couldn't even take pictures with it, never mind the horrid resolution.
- 2.2 vs 1.54 is not a big deal, in fact, are you bringing this up because you honestly watched movies on that screen? :p
- Tacticle clickwheel support is subjective. I'm a fan of touch interfaces so this is awesome for me, you might disagree, but this isn't a downgrade as much as it is a change, which some will like, and some will dislike. You still have external volume controls, which is a plus.
- Mic/speaker...the loss of a mic is definitely a downside of the new model, as is the alarm clock (due to the fact there's no speaker). This is the only actual downgrade if you ask me.
- "awesome nano design" -> subjective, again. I prefer this design, for one.
- Cover flow is useless (my opinion unless you're on an iPhone)

I think it's a step towards the future and away from the old we're used to. The clickwheel is legendary, yet maybe it's time to let it go, with Apple moving towards touch interfaces for their mobile devices such as the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. I'm liking the interface and the intuitiveness of it, as well as the possibilty for a Nano-watch. :D
My 2 cents.

I'll be picking one up soon enough. :)

I'm not that much of a fan of the click wheel as I prefer touch more than click wheel but other people have said they would hate to see the click wheel go on the nano, I just think it's a downgrade in my eyes. The video quality wasn't great but was pretty good for just uploading to YouTube or other social networking websites. The main thing that gets me about this new nano is the price. $149 for something that costs probably $50-$70 for Apple to make? No thanks. I think $99 would be more suitable then I would probably buy one.

You think that was a mistake? They do that on purpose so that iteration II can come out with all those features.

That's Apple, the 7G nano will probably be touch, but with a bigger display at most likely 2.0" and a lotta features.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think that they were having a hard time implementing iOS in the old form, but at the same time didn't want to make the Nano any bigger. I understand that - Six icons would have looked a bit weird. I also think that keeping the clickwheel with iOS would have been like adding a keyboard.

It could have been half the size of the iPod Touch though, and I think by next year this model will be ditched for in favor of that. The huge thing people will be complaining about is the size, I'm very sure about that. I wish Apple didn't stereotype and remember that a lot of us computer nerds have fat fingers.

Another thing to remember is that I bet a lot of parents don't want their kids to have Internet/Safari on their iPods, drew some people away from buying the Touch. This opens up a little to that market.

If they had made it a little bigger, they could have opened a new App Store market too, kinda like what they did with the original iPods that were in color.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The new nano that just came out may look pretty nice with all of its colors and its flashy looks, but what it all comes down to is features and performance. The new nano 6G in my eyes basically downgrades what a great product the nano 5G was. The nano 6G doesn't have any real improved or new features except for a different User Interface and a tiny 1.54" multi-touch display. It excludes the video camera, the much bigger 2.2" display, the tactile support of a click wheel which many loved, a microphone, a speaker, cover flow, an alarm clock, and of course the awesome nano design and 9 colors. Apple as well thinks they can get away with it costing the same $149 for an 8GB model and $179 for a 16GB model, is just plain ridiculous. What do you guys think of this new nano?

Well I don't know what you mean by performance. We're talking about a device that's now small enough to be a wrist watch. You neglected to acknowledge one thing and that should address why Apple made the new Nano the way they did. You neglected to see it from the average customer standpoint and not the MR geeks standpoint. Sure, as an MR geek you want a lot of functions. The Nano's claim to fame was never features or performance (whatever you meant by performance), but rather it's all about being small, cute and easy to use with a screen. Touch is becoming popular on Apple devices and it was appropriate to add it to the Nano but the camera and speaker, and you're saying "Many loved the clickwheel on the previous Nano", says who? How did you get those facts? I couldn't care less whether it was there or not.

Basically the average customer will love the new Nano. Plus Apple obviously wants to attract more iPod Touch users so it will have all the bells and whistles.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Could have sweetened the pot a little with built-in Nike+, Bluetooth, wi-fi, or a capacity bump tho. As it is, there's no particular reason to pick this over the previous model (if you discount the interface and dimensions.)

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I am very happy with the new Nano.

The iPod line is no longer a market driver for Apple. Most people already own iPods or iPhones and it looks like the new Nano is meant to be a secondary iPod for these people.

I myself have an iPhone an iPod classic and a shuffle (with buttons), but I still plan on purchasing the Nano. My iPhone is obviously with me all the time, the iPod classic and it's massive storage is for my car and the shuffle is for when I go on 10+ mile runs and need something that can withstand sweat/rain.

However, like I said I will still get the Nano largely because of the FM tuner and compact form factor. This makes it perfect for the gym - it is small/won't get in the way and I will be able to tune into the TV audio the gym broadcasts through FM signal. I suppose I could buy a small FM tuner, but the ability to also use it for my music/podcasts easily with iTunes is an added benefit.

I don't need video recording/whatever other features they removed for what I will be using it for. If you were hoping the new Nano could be the one device you carry around all the time, I can see how you may be dissapointed. It all depends on how you plan on using it.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Well I don't know what you mean by performance. We're talking about a device that's now small enough to be a wrist watch. You neglected to acknowledge one thing and that should address why Apple made the new Nano the way they did. You neglected to see it from the average customer standpoint and not the MR geeks standpoint. Sure, as an MR geek you want a lot of functions. The Nano's claim to fame was never features or performance (whatever you meant by performance), but rather it's all about being small, cute and easy to use with a screen. Touch is becoming popular on Apple devices and it was appropriate to add it to the Nano but the camera and speaker, and you're saying "Many loved the clickwheel on the previous Nano", says who? How did you get those facts? I couldn't care less whether it was there or not.

Basically the average customer will love the new Nano. Plus Apple obviously wants to attract more iPod Touch users so it will have all the bells and whistles.

Well from what I could read on many threads on here, many members said they liked the click wheel because of it's physical controls and didn't really like touch navigation.

touch interface is cool on the iphone/ipod touch/ipad but don't want it also on the nano, come on now.. :mad:

Yeah, a multi-touch display is suitable on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch because they both have 3.5" displays, but on a 1.54" multi-touch display on the new nano I think it's going to affect the people with large hands and it's not going to be a pleasant experience.

BTW, I'm not an MR geek, I'm a 13 year old consumer.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I first looked at what was being shown as the new iPod Nano, I thought, "oh, ugh!" but then started thinking about it and realized that by making this a touch device, Apple is not so far off the wall after all. How many times since I've had an iPhone have I picked up my old 5G iPod or my first-gen iPod Nano and without thinking, started poking at the screen before remembering that, oh, yes, they are not like my iPhone, they are not touch devices...... I've caught myself doing that in the store, too, when handling a newer model iPod. It really doesn't surprise me that Apple has realized that for many of us with iPhones or iPod Touches that we're now hooked on this way of communicating with our devices and so they're moving on into the future...... I probably won't be buying an iPod Nano, as I don't need one, but if I were in the market for it, yes, the fact that it is now touch-controlled would be very appealing to me. I never really liked the click-wheel way of doing things; to me, the visual cues of the icons and using one's fingers to access what one wants makes so much more sense. As for the fact that they've made the device into what looks like a postage-stamp-sized version of the iPad, well..... Maybe it could've been a little larger? On the other hand, there will be an audience for whom that tiny form factor will be most welcome and most desirable. I guess as time goes on, we'll see, won't we?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Not at all, preordered a pink one to replace my workout 2nd gen Shuffle. As Steve said during the press conference, the Nano is no longer the sales leader, the Touch is. So, I'm guessing that was enough of a sign to add the cameras, faster processor, etc to the Touch. That freed up the Nano for experimentation, if this form factor doesn't work, it'll get a change, just like the buttonless Shuffle did.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
When I first looked at what was being shown as the new iPod Nano, I thought, "oh, ugh!" but then started thinking about it and realized that by making this a touch device, Apple is not so far off the wall after all. How many times since I've had an iPhone have I picked up my old 5G iPod or my first-gen iPod Nano and without thinking, starting poking at the screen before remembering that, oh, yes, they are not like my iPhone, they are not touch devices...... I've caught myself doing that in the store, too, when handling a newer model iPod. It really doesn't surprise me that Apple has realized that for many of us with iPhones or iPod Touches that we're now hooked on this way of communicating with our devices and so they're moving on into the future...... I probably won't be buying an iPod Nano, as I don't need one, but if I were in the market for it, yes, the fact that it is now touch-controlled would be very appealing to me. I never really liked the click-wheel way of doing things; to me, the visual cues of the icons and using one's fingers to access what one wants makes so much more sense. As for the fact that they've made the device into what looks like a postage-stamp-sized version of the iPad, well..... Maybe it could've been a little larger? On the other hand, there will be an audience for whom that tiny form factor will be most welcome and most desirable. I guess as time goes on, we'll see, won't we?

I think Apple did this because they want to focus on the touch in the future as they did at this event. The touch has a ton of things you can do with it and all these applications that are out and coming out for it make it amazing. You can do almost anything with the touch and now that the new one just came out it even made it a lot better with that new 1GHz A4, dual cameras, and that Retina display. Apps will be a lot better and can run to that full potential of the touch.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Steve hates buttons. That is what happened to the iPod Nano.

The same thinking went into making the 3rd Generation Shuffle. The reason why we see the buttons make a return on the 4th Generation Shuffle is because the 2nd Generation was much more successful. If the 3rd Generation Shuffle was really successful do you think Apple would have went back to a 2nd Generation design? Never.

I don't think the new Nano will do as well on the market, but maybe that is what Apple wants. People look at the Nano and think "that stinks" and then ending up buying an iPod Touch.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
BTW, I'm not an MR geek, I'm a 13 year old consumer.

You are so an MR geek. So am I, so is everyone else on MR. You registered here and you're talking about tech that the average consumer doesn't talk about. Do you honestly think most 13 year old kids that want a Nano are trippin' about Apple taking the camera,speaker and mic out? Most of them probably didn't even know it was in the previous gen. You ARE an MR Geek. :)

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Well, I do love tech. Haha

You are so an MR geek. So am I, so is everyone else on MR. You registered here and you're talking about tech that the average consumer doesn't talk about. Do you honestly think most 13 year old kids that want a Nano are trippin' about Apple taking the camera,speaker and mic out? Most of them probably didn't even know it was in the previous gen. You ARE an MR Geek. :)

A lot of my friends don't even know what I'm talking about and think I'm trippin when I talk about tech gadgets and things. I guess I am.

Steve hates buttons. That is what happened to the iPod Nano.

The same thinking went into making the 3rd Generation Shuffle. The reason why we see the buttons make a return on the 4th Generation Shuffle is because the 2nd Generation was much more successful. If the 3rd Generation Shuffle was really successful do you think Apple would have went back to a 2nd Generation design? Never.

I don't think the new Nano will do as well on the market, but maybe that is what Apple wants. People look at the Nano and think "that stinks" and then ending up buying an iPod Touch.

Perhaps Apple will revert to the 5G design next year? I think they will still have the multi-touch display but bigger.

lostime

macrumors regular
May 19, 2009
the Nano was added to the lineup for runners. The solid state drive would solve all the problems people were having bouncing their big Ipods around.

I loved the first nano, I could put in a strap-case on my arm and control everything via tactile feedback. Reach over, find the center of the clickwheel and hit left or right to go forward or back. Now there's no way to change songs without taking it off your arm, unlocking it, and then finding the spot on the screen assigned to changing songs. Try doing that while running and you'll make lots of friends when you start veering into them.

I know they don't care about runners, their main audience has gone to christmas presents for pre-teens.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
the Nano was added to the lineup for runners. The solid state drive would solve all the problems people were having bouncing their big Ipods around.

I loved the first nano, I could put in a strap-case on my arm and control everything via tactile feedback. Reach over, find the center of the clickwheel and hit left or right to go forward or back. Now there's no way to change songs without taking it off your arm, unlocking it, and then finding the spot on the screen assigned to changing songs. Try doing that while running and you'll make lots of friends when you start veering into them.

I know they don't care about runners, their main audience has gone to christmas presents for pre-teens.

Or, you can reteach yourself? It's not that hard to blind navigate touch, and even easier when it's a 3cmx3cm square.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon

When the iPod touch first came out at a price of $299 for a mere 8GB of storage, none of my friends got them because they were a little too spendy for a christmas present, but that year when they came out a lot of my friends got the nano 3G for Christmas, I kind of see that this year, but last Christmas a lot of my friends got the touch 8GB 2G/3G because it was only $199.

The easiest iPod for running is the iPod shuffle - Just buttons = easy navigation through songs when your running.

dorky24

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
There are things i like about the ipod Nano, in particular the voice over support and the sports clip. However, as a person with a rather large library of music, I feel that navigating songs on that tiny screen would be a hassle. Looking at the pictures, it seems that only 4 or 5 entries at once, which is a serious dearth in my opinion. Since my ipod mini broke down, i guess i'm now looking at the fifth generation and an aftermarket case for the sports clip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.