Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Titchski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
So as of 19:20 last night, my order for an iBook 12" was processed (yay for me, a switcher at last). I now have a new dilemma... what bag to stick the iBook in?

My budget is around $90 tops. I have read the reviews on here and at bagreview.com and I'm pretty much decided between the Crumpler Roll O' Notes and the STM Small Drift. I need (like) to carry the following crap around with me:

iBook (well, in a few days or so anyway!)
Palm Tungsten T3
2-3 magazines
pens
Mini MagLight
lint free cloth and tissues (not due to the magazines, I hasten to add :D )
various USB stuff (pen drive, wireless dongle, ethernet)
10' CAT5e cable, modem cable,
SD cards for PDA, CD's and Floppies

Obviously compartmentalising this stuff would be useful. Trying to stay well within budget, I looked at the McBains Lovechild and the STM Alley, but I didn't think they had much in the way of extra pockets (if thats not the case I'll happy save the cash and buy one of them)

Any help would be happily received, I am kind of excited at the moment - its the first "new" computer I've had since my P166 back in the mid 90's (and the one before that was a ZX Spectrum in 1983 :D )

Cheers

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
For $90 I'd get a Tom Bihn ID Bag

The protective insert for your iBook would cost you extra though.

It has all sorts of compartments and neat places to hold things. It could take care of your needs quite nicely.

I have bought three bags from him, and they are of extremely high quality. :cool:

Alexandernap

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2004
Rochester NY
Bag for 12" iBook

I just bought a B.renthaven from Apple and love it.I think it was about $70. It has room for some folders and several compartments. I previously had a boog that barely had enough room for the plug and a wireless mouse.I would definitely recommend the Brenthaven.

Todd

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
JasonL said:
For $90 I'd get a Tom Bihn ID Bag

The protective insert for your iBook would cost you extra though.

With the Brain Cell in the ID bag, would there be room for things like a spare shirt and a digital camera?? (35mm professional digital, not pocket p&s style)

I am planning to travel on the weekends about Europe when I am over there and wanted to know if this would suite my needs for laptop/camera transportation....

Thanks in advance for a response. From what I have seen, TomBihn bags are very nice, quality stuff :)

Titchski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
After careful deliberation, I've decided to go with the STM Alley from RadTech. I think I can get what I really need to carry around in it.

Thanks for the help :)

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
efoto said:
With the Brain Cell in the ID bag, would there be room for things like a spare shirt and a digital camera?? (35mm professional digital, not pocket p&s style)

I am planning to travel on the weekends about Europe when I am over there and wanted to know if this would suite my needs for laptop/camera transportation....

Thanks in advance for a response. From what I have seen, TomBihn bags are very nice, quality stuff :)

Not sure about the camera with the ID bag. Personally, I use the Empire Builder which would work quite well for you. Actually, my review of the Empire Builder is used on the site. It is incredible.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
JasonL said:
Not sure about the camera with the ID bag. Personally, I use the Empire Builder which would work quite well for you. Actually, my review of the Empire Builder if used on the site. It is incredible.

Another vote for Tom Bihn -- made in USA durability, innovative, and chic like the iPod once was. There is a months long wait list for these things and they are well worth it!

I got an ID customized with specific colors --- light, thin, waterproof, it should also have just enough space for your computer and other accessories like a camera. Go for it.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
JasonL said:
Not sure about the camera with the ID bag. Personally, I use the Empire Builder which would work quite well for you.

Can the dividers in the Empire Builder bag be removed to increase the internal storage of the bag?
It looks like the bag would be large enough if the middle was hollowed out....can any give approximate "stuff" that can fit in it?

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
efoto said:
Can the dividers in the Empire Builder bag be removed to increase the internal storage of the bag?
It looks like the bag would be large enough if the middle was hollowed out....can any give approximate "stuff" that can fit in it?

The dividers are very easily removed, not that I ever do as they are very handy for me.

In my Empire Builder right now are two textbooks, a few folders, a large notebook, a few magazines, my PB (in Brain Cell), a PDA, a cellphone, a few cables and an adapter (DVI to VGA), a number of CDs, and I still have some room. There are all sorts of pockets/compartments, and one of those keyholder things that I never use, too.

djkny seems to think the ID bag would work, and it very well may...but if you are not objectionable to carrying around something slightly bigger (and more expensive) the Empire Builder is awesome.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
ibook

How long did it take for apple to process your order? I just purchased an ibook and was hoping for a 1-3 day processing and 1-3 days shipping. It is cutting it very close since I'm leaving town next week. I'm going for a backpack and a sleeve. I had the mac case binder previously for a 17" powerbook and liked it alot although it does not havee any padding around the zippered edges and the aluminum powerbook got dented up when I would sometimes through the binder into my backpack. I think now I'm going to look for something more rigid but believe that the ibook is going to be a bit sturdier.

Titchski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
With regards to the build/ship time... I should get mine by Friday of next week. The only change from the stock iBook was to add Bluetooth. Apparently, the 1-3 days to build etc also includes clearing customs in the US - I explained my situation to Apple and they upgraded the shipping to next day "Just to ensure I got it". I leave the country on the 23rd to go home to the UK, and would really, really like to show off, erm, I mean share the joy of, my iBook with friends and family :)

For completeness, the bag is shipping tomorrow, 2-3 day USPS, so I should get that by the time I leave also.

Cheers

Titchski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
bellis1 said:
How long did it take for apple to process your order? I just purchased an ibook and was hoping for a 1-3 day processing and 1-3 days shipping. It is cutting it very close since I'm leaving town next week.

Hi Bells,

Just to let you know, my order (not standard as I added the BT module) processed the next business day and was shipped from Taiwan to Alaska in what appears to be 16 minutes :D (not taking into account time zones anyway). According to the friendly Apple people I have spoken to, it may take a couple of days to clear customs (in case someones smuggling a block of pot where the battery should go I assume :eek: ) I should have it by Friday, however the Apple person said tha tthey would try to get overnight shipping when I explained my situation - I too am leaving town next week.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.