PDA

View Full Version : new atv connection type?

surfkw
Sep 1, 2010, 08:54 PM
My TV has a DVI input but no HDMI. Will I be able to use a HDMI-DVI dongle on the new atv without issue?
Thanks!

waw74
Sep 1, 2010, 09:24 PM
yes, they're pretty much the same signal, just different connectors, HDMI adds audio.

Florida Gator
Sep 1, 2010, 11:48 PM
Need audio too.

ovrlrd
Sep 1, 2010, 11:52 PM
Need audio too.

You can get audio using the optical out connector on the Apple TV.

8CoreWhore
Sep 2, 2010, 01:28 AM
You'd still need to route the audio...

...and there's be no way to play copy-protected content (HDCP) such as iTunes rentals or purchases.

surfkw
Sep 2, 2010, 03:43 PM

...and there's be no way to play copy-protected content (HDCP) such as iTunes rentals or purchases.

Thanks everyone! Hmmm, the inability to play protected content on a device meant almost solely for renting said content is something I'll need to think about before making a purchase. Thanks for the heads-up.

If my TV has no optical in for audio can I route it in through component? Not sure I know what I am talking about so here is a picture of my TV inputs.
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2842/img0001ir.jpg

gkarris
Sep 2, 2010, 04:20 PM

The new DVI ports are HDCP compliant... double check with the Panel's specs...

surfkw
Sep 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
So I can hook up the atv to my tv with a HDMI>DVI cable for picture which works fine for me. For the audio I'll have to use the optical out (TOSLink, right?), is there a cable that goes from optical to analog right and left (red and white)? I can't seem to find one online... I don't have a separate speaker system, just want to use the inputs on my tv.

thanks

JLB-UK
Sep 5, 2010, 03:32 PM
So I can hook up the atv to my tv with a HDMI>DVI cable for picture which works fine for me. For the audio I'll have to use the optical out (TOSLink, right?), is there a cable that goes from optical to analog right and left (red and white)? I can't seem to find one online... I don't have a separate speaker system, just want to use the inputs on my tv.

thanks

you would need a converter such as one like this

http://www.lindy.co.uk/spdif-digital-to-analogue-stereo-audio-converter/70408.html

use hdmi converter to DVI
use optical converter to analogue DVI in

Should work, but no promises!