PDA

View Full Version : With Netflix apps, why AppleTV?

Eldiablojoe
Sep 1, 2010, 09:27 PM
I, like millions of others, have had little understanding of AppleTV, but am intrigued by the Apple Event today.

If I understand it correctly, I buy AppleTV for $99, then for .99 I can rent and stream (HD when available) TV shows and movies.

How is this different than just using my iPad app and the AV cable to play it on my plasma?

Also, do I have to watch the movie as it is streaming, or am I able to play it at a later time?

Thank you for your time.

canyonblue737
Sep 1, 2010, 09:37 PM
I, like millions of others, have had little understanding of AppleTV, but am intrigued by the Apple Event today.

If I understand it correctly, I buy AppleTV for $99, then for .99 I can rent and stream (HD when available) TV shows and movies.

How is this different than just using my iPad app and the AV cable to play it on my plasma?

Also, do I have to watch the movie as it is streaming, or am I able to play it at a later time?

Thank you for your time.

Apple does not allow the iPad to use the AV cable to output video for 3rd party apps to your TV.

Eldiablojoe
Sep 1, 2010, 09:44 PM
Apple does not allow the iPad to use the AV cable to output video for 3rd party apps to your TV.Oh. Ok, then what if I use the Netflix app on my iPhone and the AV cable? I'm not trying to be all "anti" and stuff, I'm just trying to justify what more I would get for $99 plus .99 each time.

tbayrgs
Sep 1, 2010, 09:54 PM
Apple does not allow the iPad to use the AV cable to output video for 3rd party apps to your TV.

Not true. I'm not sure about Netflix but TV out is supported by Air Video app and last time I checked, that app wasn't developed by Apple.

theLimit
Sep 1, 2010, 10:09 PM
With the AppleTV, you don't have your iPhone or iPad tied up playing the movie. You also get the UI on your big screen and don't have to stand by the TV to control it.