PDA

View Full Version : Web Application Programming advice?

zerocustom1989
Sep 2, 2010, 08:41 AM
So i'm looking into programming web-apps. I've found 3 paths to follow.

Google Web Tools seems to use Java for web app programming.
Ruby on Rails uses the ruby language.
Apple's Dashcode uses a visual interface to program with CSS, HTML5, and Javascript.

Apple's use of AJAX is pretty appealing. Im 100% new to web programming, but this us for some undergrad work, so I gotta get started with it.

Any Advice? or Books?

Cromulent
Sep 2, 2010, 09:24 AM
I'd use Django (Python programming language) on Googles App Engine if I were you.

mrbash
Sep 2, 2010, 09:30 AM
There are many web app frameworks using many different languages. All web apps make use of CSS/JS/HTML.

Ruby is easy to get into and a good springboard to more mature frameworks.

My other recommendation is to understand the architecture of framework and your app first. Code later. Good design is more important in Web Apps because there are a lot more moving parts involved.

zerocustom1989
Sep 2, 2010, 02:37 PM
There are many web app frameworks using many different languages. All web apps make use of CSS/JS/HTML.

Ruby is easy to get into and a good springboard to more mature frameworks.

My other recommendation is to understand the architecture of framework and your app first. Code later. Good design is more important in Web Apps because there are a lot more moving parts involved.

My partner and I have gone over our interface idea many times. We have 3 main elements with one being a rather unique menu/selection system. The selection system we're coming up with is the most dynamic piece. (It's also the most concerning to me, though im also concerned about list generation too)

But you say Ruby on Rails would be a decent tool? I suppose I can look into it. I know it's not going to be outdated anytime soon too right?

Cabbit
Sep 2, 2010, 04:48 PM
But you say Ruby on Rails would be a decent tool? I suppose I can look into it. I know it's not going to be outdated anytime soon too right?

Rails 3 final build just came out only monday i think. http://rubyonrails.org/

Braw thing about it, is that it allows you to use just about any javascript framework in a restful way.

There is also Objective J and Sproutcore to look into if you want something more like a rich internet application.

GorillaPaws
Sep 2, 2010, 05:02 PM
I would take a look at both Ruby on Rails and also Django (using Python). From what I've heard, both are excellent tools. If you've got a lot of Objective-C/Cocoa experience, then exploring Objective-J and the Cappuccino framework (http://objective-j.org/) might be another fun and interesting option.

zerocustom1989
Sep 2, 2010, 07:00 PM
I would take a look at both Ruby on Rails and also Django (using Python). From what I've heard, both are excellent tools. If you've got a lot of Objective-C/Cocoa experience, then exploring Objective-J and the Cappuccino framework (http://objective-j.org/) might be another fun and interesting option.

Well, I did iPhone programming this summer so while I was checking out the cappuccino documentation i was like "wow, I know exactly how to make everything I need...."

But, I feel like this is a good learning opportunity to maybe build skills that employers may be looking for and I've seen lots of HTML and CSS preferences. I've seen ruby and PHP listed too, so that's why im leaning toward those atm.