Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorrow76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
St. Louis
I ditched cable about two years ago & consume everything via multiple ATVs throughout the house. Considering I only have a few TV shows that I actually watch this has saved me quite a bit each year as I now hit the 2-300cost range instead of the 8-900 range I had with cable.

I've tried Netflix in the past & while it was a great service, I simply don't watch enough movies to make it worth the monthly cost. Now that it's embedded within the new ATV I'm giving it a second thought mainly due to the streaming TV show option.

So my question is, how good is the streaming for Netflix? Is the quality decent, how good is the selection of shows?

I took a look at the site & searched for a few shows that I typically watch which are available yet I'm not sure how long it takes for these to be available for streaming after airing.

The new rental option sounds great but just to limited in shows. Curious to know how long & if other content providers will take to jump onboard.

May 8, 2008
Netflix streaming to a computer is quite good IMO. Especially when the program is available in HD.

The only other Netflix device I have is a Wii and the streaming over Wifi is pretty good. It's by no means full HD but the quality is good and it loads fairly quickly.

I would just sign up for the free trail when your Apple TV arrives and if you like it, then subscribe, if not, no harm, no foul.

If you want, you can PM me and I'll let you have one of my 'Let a friend try Netflix for x amount of time free'.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I also plan on getting Netflix once the new aTV gets here. I canceled cable a few months ago and been getting by with my current aTV and over the air hd.

I think its supposed to be 24hrs after the show airs before it is available.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I have a Roku connected over -G wifi and a TivoHD connected over Powerline Ethernet and the Netflix streaming is excellent on both... but I'd definitely get the -N capable Roku if I was buying one today.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I currently use my XBOX 360 for Streaming NetFlix and the HD Content looks very good.

I ordered my AppleTV and I cant wait to see how well it performs with NetFlix and how it handles everything. I want to be able to browse more of the library of NetFlix without having items in my Instant Queue or what they have up as new releases. The XBOX version is somewhat limited when it comes to this.

ChargerSteve

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
EDH, California
Netflix streaming is very good. It's limited by your internet connection speed. You'll need 5 or 6 Mbits/sec to get HD streaming. I only have 2.5 mb/sec now (although Comcast is due here any minute to resolve that) and get very watchable streaming, I'd say at or near DVD quality. I'm happy with it and think it's well worth the cost. Actually more bang/buck than my cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.