PDA

View Full Version : Not often mentioned little things you LIKE about the new touch?

skiltrip
Sep 2, 2010, 10:36 AM
For me. This may be little, but I love that even though the corners are curved, the back appears to be flat now. I always hated laying my touch down on the table and having it rock around while I used it. I'm looking forward to it sitting stable like the iPhone 4 does.

Anyone have any other little changes they particularly like that will be useful/helpful to them?

Ds92
Sep 2, 2010, 10:45 AM
I posted this in the "are you happy now" thread but this seems like a better place...

The fact that the chrome can no longer be seen all along the side when you view the touch from the front

Outrun1986
Sep 2, 2010, 10:47 AM
As long as it doesn't have sharp edges like the touch 1G I will be happy. Then again I will be using a case so this isn't going to be a problem.

skiltrip
Sep 2, 2010, 10:53 AM
Another thing I'm not sure I'll like, we'll see, is the relocated speaker on the bottom of the Touch (or the side if you're holding it landscape).

If it sounds better, and it a tad louder than the current speaker, I'll be happy.

The other thing is though, that on the iPhone 4, my hand often covered or cupped the speaker while I was playing games or watching movies. So I had to adjust my hand so as to not obscure the sound. But this placement also allowed me to cup my hand in a way as to amplify the sound and direct it toward me.

This remains to be seen, but to me, the speaker on the 3g Touch isn't loud enough, and distorts easily when maxed out.

Drucifer
Sep 2, 2010, 10:57 AM
I agree with Ds92. Not being able to see the chrome from the front is a welcome improvement.

That and the increased battery life. :D

skiltrip
Sep 2, 2010, 11:09 AM
That and the increased battery life. :D

+1 to this. All the games and abilities of the Touch literally suck the life out of the battery. The more juice the better I say. 30 hours to 40 hours is a 25% increase. Not too shabby!

Drucifer
Sep 2, 2010, 11:17 AM
+1 to this. All the games and abilities of the Touch literally suck the life out of the battery. The more juice the better I say. 30 hours to 40 hours is a 25% increase. Not too shabby!

That and the video length increase from 6 hours to 7 hours. :D

Pretty good considering the 1st Gen was only something like 22 hours for music and 5 hours for video. They've come a decent way by improving it over the course of the iPods generations.

jwhite878
Sep 2, 2010, 05:36 PM
Maybe this isn't little but I am so glad they included the retina display, and I was really surprised that they managed to fit 2 cameras in. It's a huge upgrade from the 1st gen at least. I don't even have speaker or bluetooth.

sportsfrk214
Sep 2, 2010, 06:06 PM
I like that they found out a way to get rid of the black plastic cover on the back that the Wi-Fi signal goes through. I always found it ugly and I'm glad they finally got rid of it. However, this "positive" will only remain positive if when I get my new Touch, the Wi-Fi signal strength is at minimum as good as my current 2G's strength. If it's not as good, then I will retract my statement of this being a good thing.

I'm also happy that there are two dedicated volume up and down buttons, instead of one rocker button. I would imagine individual buttons will be easier to use.

Peterson8765
Sep 2, 2010, 06:10 PM
I posted this in the "are you happy now" thread but this seems like a better place...

The fact that the chrome can no longer be seen all along the side when you view the touch from the front

I think it looks sleeker without that chrome surrounding the bezel.

skiltrip
Sep 2, 2010, 06:28 PM
I'm also happy that there are two dedicated volume up and down buttons, instead of one rocker button. I would imagine individual buttons will be easier to use.

+1 on the button layout. I hate the skinny/sharp volume rocker on the current Touches. I like the separate volume buttons on the iPhone 4, and I'm glad they did something similar with the new Touch.

SoraLimit
Sep 2, 2010, 08:12 PM
I appreciate the iPod touch as a whole, but the thing that amazed me was the fact that they have two cameras and still made it thinner than its predecessors.

unr1
Sep 2, 2010, 08:51 PM
I appreciate that they allow us to pre-order and mark it as a gift as well

:)

I ordered from the UK store here in California as a gift for somebody.

Kantosam
Sep 2, 2010, 08:54 PM

Whoh! Until you pointed this out I didn't realize that. Yes +1! Just don't like that thin chrome frame around my current (not really 3g-- because its 8gig) 3g Ipod Touch. :eek:

Pgohlke
Sep 2, 2010, 09:28 PM
that they finally put the sleep wake button on the other side of the top because how I hold it, it will be easier to press.

sportsfrk214
Sep 2, 2010, 09:47 PM
that they finally put the sleep wake button on the other side of the top because how I hold it, it will be easier to press.

It's the opposite for me. Oh well, I'll adjust :) Maybe the 5th Generation can have it in the middle? :p

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 2, 2010, 09:47 PM
I like that its due for an upgrade in less than 12 months from now.

iRance
Sep 2, 2010, 09:52 PM
FaceTime.

Lunchbox700
Sep 2, 2010, 10:00 PM
Whoh! Until you pointed this out I didn't realize that. Yes +1! Just don't like that thin chrome frame around my current (not really 3g-- because its 8gig) 3g Ipod Touch. :eek:

I too love this . My 3rd gen is only a few months old it replaced my 1st gen so I'm not looking to get the 4th yet but probably eventually. I too like the more flat bottom my 1st gen always seemed more stable and miss that feeling when using my new one.